Selling in Canada and Shipping from the US

ChristopherJB

5 minutes ago, redghostx said:

You are right, and it will depend on where you cross but the BC/WA crossings are some of the most flexible. It really is that simple out west :)

Yeah, the border guards where I am (more central) are real dicks when crossing with goods. I've never just been "waved through" unless I'm within $20 of my limit. Regardless, I'm about 1.25 hours from the border so it takes around 3.5 hours round trip to get to the nearest US post office... even in a fuel efficient vehicle, it's a total waste of my time!

1 hour ago, redghostx said:

It is probably different for Americans returning to the US and, full disclosure, I haven't read up on all of the rules for US citizens returning to the US but for a Canadian, it really is as simple as ChristopherJB (the ugly American stereotype at play) indicates and anyone can do what he does using the following legal method, according to my research and discussions with CBP agents.

Any Canadian may import up to $2,500 worth of commercial goods at a crossing into the US without completing the official form and will be required to pay a user fee of $10.75.   Whether you bring $20 worth of goods or 2,000 over 20 transactions at once, the $10.75 is a constant (one example that I know of is a person that sells vinyl records brings down dozens at a time to ensure only one user fee).  There are additional fees over the limit and there is an official form to file but I no longer have it (and have been previously asked why did I fill it out).

A commercial good is anything that you have sold AND on top of that, for declaration purposes when returning, a FREE item is not free, you are supposed to declare the actual value.

Persons crossing the border may not use the designated nexus lanes but may use commercial lanes and pay the user fee at the booth without going inside and if you go through a commercial lane then you MUST pay the user fee.  If you go through a passenger lane, then you MAY be required to go inside and pay the user fee and you may not.  This is at the discretion of the border guard.  Once inside, you are permitted to use the nexus line to expedite your process and leave sooner.  These are not secondary inspections and the slip will simply indicate user fee (as opposed to nexus compliance for example).

For regular commercial vehicles, you may purchase a decal and your yearly payment covers all trips.  This is very dangerous for a resident of BC to get, on a personal level, because the standard insurance option allows you 6 days of commercial related trips a month unless you have a commercially designated insurance rate (like a company car).

Items should not be sealed when crossing the border as CBP agents or their superiors have the authority to go through your packages.  Bring a tape gun and tape it once you have cleared customs.

So if you are making $20 a package x10 packages to stay under the $2,500 limit then each trip is $189.25 profit and all it requires is a tape gun and a label printer. 

Taxes are another issue entirely, but I will assume that ChristopherJB reports this as income, lest the taxman find him.

Additional information:

Can I drive into the U.S. and mail a package?

You may bring a package to mail in the U.S., however standard import rules, regulations, and duty rates apply. Questions about specific imports can be directed to the port where you plan to enter.  A list of border crossings can be found here.

If you are bringing in a personal package to mail there is no user fee.  Bringing in commercial merchandise to mail within the U.S. would require you to pay a $10.75 user fee per entry (subject to change) or an annual user fee decal.

Note: CBP has the authority to open all packages and may assess duty.  It is recommended that you do not seal packages as they are subject to inspection.

If you wish to receive automatic updates to this Q&A, select "Subscribe to Updates" on the left side of this screen.

Thanks, you hit the nail on the head.

Read the bolded above. And by the way, I don't need to pay $10.75, I pay an annual fee which is even cheaper, unlimited up and down nonstop at the border. Go to the counter and ask the customs officer. Park at the nexus stop there, walk in, and ask him for a transponder.

1 hour ago, gregpj said:

Well, it's not quite as simple as that excerpt implies. That $10.75 "border processing fee" simply allows you to transport commercial good across the border. Also, note the "standard import rules" apply... Are you guys filling in the correct customs declaration forms and slapping them on the parcels so the "buyers" pay the correct taxes/duties if applicable?

If you're not declaring the items with the right customs forms, you are effectively importing goods into the US and those rules are here:

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/Importing%20into%20the%20U.S.pdf

Page 15 - the limit is $2000 US for most items, toys are limited to $250.. but luckily Toys have no duty and I'm betting most items are being sold for less than $250.  

That form is a pain, called the "Manifest". It's a lot of work but if you create a template and worksheet, it is a piece of cake. :) Lego may or may not be toys. And the limit can be higher if you are doing collectors items. There is a lot of fine prints. Lots of canadians sell comics to the US. There are some who use the Sumas crossing and run their home shops in Abbotsford and Chilliwack. I bought from them before where they shipped from Sumas to Point Roberts and it's cheaper than shipping from Chilliwack to Vancouver.

33 minutes ago, ChristopherJB said:

That form is a pain, called the "Manifest". It's a lot of work but if you create a template and worksheet, it is a piece of cake. :) Lego may or may not be toys. And the limit can be higher if you are doing collectors items. There is a lot of fine prints. Lots of canadians sell comics to the US. There are some who use the Sumas crossing and run their home shops in Abbotsford and Chilliwack. I bought from them before where they shipped from Sumas to Point Roberts and it's cheaper than shipping from Chilliwack to Vancouver.

If you're flipping Tumblers and other items still available at retail, that's a TOY.

Look, I'm not saying what you don't know what you're doing, but I'm just making sure that new members or people who've never done it understand that they can't just drive parcels across the border and ship them from the US to the US without doing their due diligence.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChristopherJB said:

I have been buying In Canada and shipping to the US at Point Roberts too. I have a courier that picks up my packages and goes down twice a week for a small fee.

However, I've been shipping a lot recently. So, my question is with the implementation of the ACE manifest requirement at Point Roberts, what do we need to get the accounts set up? I used to just fill paper forms of CBP 7533 for <$200 and 7523 for >$200 USD if bringing packages down by myself, but we can't do this anymore?

By the way, we should think about getting all of the BC lower mainland sellers together for a meetup.

As interesting as this discussion may be to some, I think it's really off-topic.

The thread about TRU sales and clearances is monitored by people expecting posts about TRU sales and clearances.

You're right... I'll move it later this morning so it can continue in the right place if need be. :)

15 hours ago, ymok2 said:

I have been buying In Canada and shipping to the US at Point Roberts too. I have a courier that picks up my packages and goes down twice a week for a small fee.

However, I've been shipping a lot recently. So, my question is with the implementation of the ACE manifest requirement at Point Roberts, what do we need to get the accounts set up? I used to just fill paper forms of CBP 7533 for <$200 and 7523 for >$200 USD if bringing packages down by myself, but we can't do this anymore?

By the way, we should think about getting all of the BC lower mainland sellers together for a meetup.

This is a good question. I asked the customs officials and even they don't know how to set it up. Starting in February, everything should be done online and printed out prior to driving through. I'll try and figure this out.

• 1 month later...