Paypal and shipping to Canada?

stackables

2 hours ago, stackables said:

Can you still print labels through paypal to Canada?  I just completed a trade with a trader from another site and he never told me he was from Canada. I didn't find out until I looked at his return address.  Can I still use paypal to print my labels and if so, is it still easy? thx

I can't say for sure since I'm on the wrong side of the border, but if you send the trader an invoice for a penny and he pays from a Canadian address there is no reason you shouldn't be able to print an appropriate label. I print shipping labels for US based buyers all the time.. through eBay and not through eBay. I can't see how the reverse isn't available to you?

I can't print labels through PayPal unless there is an invoice and a payment. If I get sent money as a "gift" there is no option to print a label since it doesn't apply to a product. It almost sounds like you can print labels without an invoice?

14 minutes ago, gregpj said:

I can't say for sure since I'm on the wrong side of the border, but if you send the trader an invoice for a penny and he pays from a Canadian address there is no reason you shouldn't be able to print an appropriate label. I print shipping labels for US based buyers all the time.. through eBay and not through eBay. I can't see how the reverse isn't available to you?

I can't print labels through PayPal unless there is an invoice and a payment. If I get sent money as a "gift" there is no option to print a label since it doesn't apply to a product. It almost sounds like you can print labels without an invoice?

You don't need an invoice to print labels.  I trade all the time and just need to put in an address.  I just took a closer look and it looks like you can still print labels to Canada.  I assume the best option for shipping 2 small minifigs would be "first class mail international?  Also, not sure what I have to do about custom forms.  How does that work online?

15 minutes ago, stackables said:

You don't need an invoice to print labels.  I trade all the time and just need to put in an address.  I just took a closer look and it looks like you can still print labels to Canada.  I assume the best option for shipping 2 small minifigs would be "first class mail international?  Also, not sure what I have to do about custom forms.  How does that work online?

When I print a label online, the label prints with the necessary customs bits which is really nice!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gregpj said: When I print a label online, the label prints with the necessary customs bits which is really nice!

I assume you just tape the address label and the customs form to the package correct?

Yup... Some people put the name/address of sender and receiver and then tape to the other side, but I just tape the label as printed with no extra markings!

7 minutes ago, stackables said:

So just sending 2 minifigs, I would use first class international correct?  Looks like it only costs around $2.84.  Is that right or am I missing something.  I picked large envelope for package.

I ran two tests and came up with about $6 each time so $2.84 seems low but it is First Class Package International and perhaps you are getting 60% off.

19 minutes ago, stackables said:

I picked first class mail.  So it has to be "package"?

It is a package, whether you use an envelope or not so it shouldn't be an issue.  I have sent a few things First Class International to Canada (it was cheaper than sending it domestically LOL!) and paypal will give you the proper rate so print it and go for it.

I've sent some small sets like that going the opposite way, and the rate is $5 CDN to the US. It's only $2 to ship the same size package domestically, but with the current exchange rate $2.84 USD seems to be right in the ballpark anyway. 

Edit: I have the convenience of a post office just around the corner, but I might advise if it's not too much out of the way hassle, to just package the item (don't seal it though), take it in to the office and just get them to ring it through asking for cheapest rate, and quote you a price from their register? If the value matches, you know you can trust the online calculator in future.... if it doesn't match, ask them specifically what they chose. 

Edited by Zelgazra