Unverified PP buyer

marcandre

So I sold a SSD with BIN, got this from PP right after

Eric Mxxx just sent you money with PayPal. To help protect you, we're reviewing this payment.
The Payment Review may take up to 24 hours. When we've completed the review, we'll either clear or cancel the payment. If the payment clears: You may proceed to process the order. To know if your item is covered, check the 'Seller Protection' section of the 'Transaction Details' page and ensure that it states 'Eligible'.
You shouldn't ship the item until we let you know that the payment has cleared. We'll send you an email when we complete the review or you can check the Transaction History tab of your PayPal account.
Angela Bxxx is a Unverified Customer

The big thing that bothers me is the two different names. 'Eric Mxxx' sent me money but it ends with a different name 'Angela Bxxx is Unverified'. That and the fact it's unverified makes me want to cancel the sale even if pp approves it. Plus it's not exactly a cheap set :) Anyone dealt with this before? 

Eric Mxxx just sent you money with PayPal. To help protect you, we're reviewing this payment.
The Payment Review may take up to 24 hours. When we've completed the review, we'll either clear or cancel the payment. If the payment clears: You may proceed to process the order. To know if your item is covered, check the 'Seller Protection' section of the 'Transaction Details' page and ensure that it states 'Eligible'.
You shouldn't ship the item until we let you know that the payment has cleared. We'll send you an email when we complete the review or you can check the Transaction History tab of your PayPal account.

The big thing that bothers me is the two different names. 'Eric Mxxx' sent me money but it ends with a different name 'Angela Bxxx is Unverified'. That and the fact it's unverified makes me want to cancel the sale even if pp approves it. Plus it's not exactly a cheap set :) Anyone dealt with this before? 

Happens quite a bit.  As long as paypal clears it after the review I wouldn't worry to much.  Just send it signature confirmation as its over 750.  A lot of guest checkouts get that message now.  Paypal allows guest accounts so those usually get flagged for the review or other reasons.  If you can send UPS instead of USPS as its easier and more successful to redirect if they open a case right after you ship.  USPS will usually wind up still delivering where as UPS will intercept it with a lot more success.  I always google the name and address and pull up google maps on high dollar ones if I am iffy and can usually find some sort of match.   Can always research there feedback and see if any purchases the past few months.  Ones that have good feedback but no transactions the last 6 months to year are a little more worriesome.  Can also call ebay / paypal before shipping if you want to see if they notice anything that may look suspicious on there end.

Was a little disappointed not to see your cat in the pics!!

• Like 2

Was a little disappointed not to see your cat in the pics!!

heh I try to keep em out of the ebay pics. Not always possible though.

I'll google search this guy if payment clears. I'm leaning towards canceling the deal, it's just too big of a set to risk it. I can handle a neg if it comes to that.

• 2 weeks later...

So my fears were confirmed today. Got this from pp.

We are writing to let you know one of your buyers opened a case for this transaction. The buyer stated that they did not authorize this purchase.

So frustrating. I will probably be fine but meanwhile my paypal show a negative $900 balance and I won't be able to draw any money out until they resolve this. 

On 10/20/2015, 3:33:58, marcandre said:

15 minutes ago, marcandre said:

So my fears were confirmed today. Got this from pp.

We are writing to let you know one of your buyers opened a case for this transaction. The buyer stated that they did not authorize this purchase.

So frustrating. I will probably be fine but meanwhile my paypal show a negative $900 balance and I won't be able to draw any money out until they resolve this. 

Had you waited for pp to finish the review before shipping it?

9 minutes ago, KShine said:

Had you waited for pp to finish the review before shipping it?

Yes they reviewed and approved it. I shipped with insurance and sig confirmation. I should be ok, just freezes up everything for a few weeks. I'll stick to amazon for a bit, maybe for good after this. Last time I ship to unverified pp buyer, I'll take a neg if it comes to it.

I'm really just posting to warn people about this stuff. When it's time to sell the big ticket sets scammers are going to target us. I had a feeling about this but greed got in the way. Won't happen again. 

Edited by marcandre

I appreciate the "lesson"... so can I note in my higher dollar eBay listings, "Verified Paypal buyers only. Purchases by unverified buyers will be cancelled and refunded" ? I've never cancelled an order without the buyer's consent before.  What happens when you do that?  Hurt your metrics?

6 minutes ago, Kenxxx said:

I appreciate the "lesson"... so can I note in my higher dollar eBay listings, "Verified Paypal buyers only. Purchases by unverified buyers will be cancelled and refunded" ? I've never cancelled an order without the buyer's consent before.  What happens when you do that?  Hurt your metrics?

I don't know how it works, I have never done it either. You can cancel a transaction for all kind of reasons though. 

28 minutes ago, iahawks550 said:

The buyer has to confirm the cancellation of the order. Not sure what happens if they don't. 

That is not true on all accounts any more. There are 2 different versions on cancellations currently running on eBay. One waits on the buyer. The other just automatically does it .

The newer one also got rid of the long list of reasons.  It is just seller cancels reason which would cause a defect or the 2nd option is buyer asked to cancel or this is a problem with the buyers address which is not a defect.

Edited by ravenb99
Edit
  • Like 1

I asked a similar question in the eBay Community forum... can the seller cancel an order from a "suspicious" buyer with a verified paypal address, and will it hurt your metrics.  I got only 1 response - from a power seller plus with 7900 feedback - he/she said:

Cancelling a sale for any reason other than the buyer requests it or there is a problem with their address (they need to correct their address or are in a country you don't ship to) will get you a defect.  As a matter of fact, there are only 2 ways to get a defect starting Feb 20th and that is one of them!  Because they have reduced the ways to get a defect, they also reduced the allowable percentage.  So yes, this could hurt you badly.

• Like 1