2016 Exclusives - Rumours and Speculation

As we are nearing the end of the year and before crazy selling season begins, I thought it might be neat to compile rumours and speculation we have heard about the 2016 Exclusives. Over the past 8 years or so, there have been around 8 mid to large exclusives released each year.

These are the semi confirmed sets:

1) 75098 Hoth Battle UCS 250 euros DATE TBC

2) 42056 IP Technic 40th anniversary car 300 euros Summer 16

3) 75827 Ghostbusters HQ JAN 16

4) 10251 Brick Bank 160 euros JAN 16

5) Landmark "Big Ben" DATE TBC

We can also expect a couple more large Star Wars sets. People have been talking about an ISD, a Snowspeeder, maybe a new DS and why not a BB8?

It´s also been a while since the last train was released and one could expect at least one other transport set, maybe a plane or another licensed car.

What other existing themes could merit a large exclusive? I am thinking Dr Who if the theme is expanded or maybe even Jurassic.

Edited by valenciaeric
  • Like 1

brickumentary had a segment on how much work has been going into roller coaster development. They could keep increasing prices on this line $250 

Simpsons The Android's Dungeon and Baseball Card Shop

That'd be amazing.  A few years ago I purchased a few 3rd party rollercoaster sets (track, etc.) and used that to build my own coasters; worked great and all of the bricks were genuine lego, sans the tubing and wheels.  Awesome stuff and would love to see lego make one as well. 

• 5 months later...
On 16/10/2015 at 10:12 PM, Val-E said:

UPDATED 206 Exclusive LIST

75827 Ghostbusters Jan 1st

10251 Brick Bank 1st Jan

76052 Batcave 1st March

75098 Hoth Battle UCS 30th April

21128 Minecraft Village 1st June

75144 UCS Snowspeeder 1st July DATE TBC

42056 Porsche 911 1st August

10252 VW Beetle 1st August

75159 UCS Death Star DATE TBC - 4th September?

10253 Big Ben DATE TBC - SEPTEMBER/OCTOBER?

10254??? Winter train DATE TBC OCTOBER/NOVEMBER???

If all these are released, it will be a record year for exclusives.

• Like 1

Some of these D2C sets have been discussed in their own topics, but I found this list on Eurobricks that CM4Sci posted a few days ago that may be of interest:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=129744&#entry2533889

10251 Brick Bank X
75257 Ghostbusters Firehouse HQ X
76052 Classic TV Series Batcave X
75098 Assault on Hoth X
21128 The Village
10253 Big Ben
10252 Volkswagen Beetle
71040 Disneyworld Cinderella's Castle
10254 Winter Train
????? Carousel
75159 The Death Star
75144 Snowspeeder

Sorry if this list has been mentioned before.  This seems to further validate the ideas of a holiday train set and UCS type of snowspeeder.  Curious about the Carousel D2C set as it may be a new entry into the fairground theme and/or be an update to the Grand Carousel. 

• Like 2

21128 The Village - June
10253 Big Ben - September
10252 Volkswagen Beetle
10254 Winter Train - November
????? Carousel
75159 The Death Star - October
75144 Snowspeeder - July

Edited by dcdfan
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, meowsmeowsmeows said:

10253 Big Ben
10252 Volkswagen Beetle
10254 Winter Train
????? Carousel
75159 The Death Star
75144 Snowspeeder

These are ones on this list that I'm most interested in.

Big Ben - Could be great, or could be a stinker.  I'm not that big on the landmark sets.  But Big Ben is Big Ben.  If done right could be very cool

Beetle - At one point in time, my wife and I both owned New Beetles.  I never got the original LEGO Beetle.  If it's an Old Beetle, and it looks better than the last version, then I'm all over this.  If it's the New Beetle v1, then I'm all over that.  If it's New Beetle v2 (the squished Beetle) forget it.

Cinderella's Castle - yes please!  Huge Disney fans at our house.  If done right, this will be awesome.  I do expect that this set could be the new Death Star of longevity.  I expect Disney to want to keep it around for a very long time.  Especially if it comes with the iconic characters.  I can see this being a $250-$350, 1) so it's done right, and 2) because Disney fans really will pay that kind of money.

Winter Train - it's a winter set.  Duh.  Plus, I don't have the original.  And I'd love to have a Winter Train.  I hope they don't pull a Winter Toy Shop and only make some very minor changes.  I hope they take the time to do it right.  Lego puts out how many different fire and police stations?  And how many trains?  It's very easy to do a nice winter train, that is completely different than the previous version.

Carousel - The original Grand Carousel is one of my white whales.  I could have bought it retail at Legoland many many times and just passed on it.  Still in my dark ages.  I can still remember what the display looked like at Legoland.  Definitely a big regret for not picking it up and putting it away, even just one for myself.  Someone else suggested that it could be a Friends carousel, to go with their Fairground theme.  And that it could be an Exclusive to the Friends line, in the same way ToA is to Ninjago.  I'm happy with any of those ideas.  Again, I hope that Lego is creative enough to make this completely different than GC. If not, then I agree with others - that they've lost their creativity. 

Death Star - I'm very curious to see what they come up with for a new version.  How different will it be?  How similar will it be?

Snowspeeder - I'm iffy on this one.  I don't have any snow speeders.  I might be interested in a UCS one.  It's not my first choice for a UCS ship, but I know it will look nice.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Big Ben - Could be great, or could be a stinker.  I'm not that big on the landmark sets.  But Big Ben is Big Ben.  If done right could be very cool

We need a motorized bell.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alpinemaps said:

Beetle - At one point in time, my wife and I both owned New Beetles.  I never got the original LEGO Beetle.  If it's an Old Beetle, and it looks better than the last version, then I'm all over this.  If it's the New Beetle v1, then I'm all over that.  If it's New Beetle v2 (the squished Beetle) forget it.

Cinderella's Castle - yes please!  Huge Disney fans at our house.  If done right, this will be awesome.  I do expect that this set could be the new Death Star of longevity.  I expect Disney to want to keep it around for a very long time.  Especially if it comes with the iconic characters.  I can see this being a $250-$350, 1) so it's done right, and 2) because Disney fans really will pay that kind of money.

Winter Train - it's a winter set.  Duh.  Plus, I don't have the original.  And I'd love to have a Winter Train.  I hope they don't pull a Winter Toy Shop and only make some very minor changes.  I hope they take the time to do it right.  Lego puts out how many different fire and police stations?  And how many trains?  It's very easy to do a nice winter train, that is completely different than the previous version.

Carousel - The original Grand Carousel is one of my white whales.  I could have bought it retail at Legoland many many times and just passed on it.  Still in my dark ages.  I can still remember what the display looked like at Legoland.  Definitely a big regret for not picking it up and putting it away, even just one for myself.  Someone else suggested that it could be a Friends carousel, to go with their Fairground theme.  And that it could be an Exclusive to the Friends line, in the same way ToA is to Ninjago.  I'm happy with any of those ideas.  Again, I hope that Lego is creative enough to make this completely different than GC. If not, then I agree with others - that they've lost their creativity. 

Death Star - I'm very curious to see what they come up with for a new version.  How different will it be?  How similar will it be?

Snowspeeder - I'm iffy on this one.  I don't have any snow speeders.  I might be interested in a UCS one.  It's not my first choice for a UCS ship, but I know it will look nice.

I forgot about the VW Beetle.  Another remake.  Plus...I hate that car.  

An excellent reason to avoid it (for investment purposes)

Why is it bad for investment? I believe the opposite. We have Christmas every year so every year we have the shopping frenzy so it's great to sell at record prices Christmas sets since a lot of people want to make someone very happy.

I think that besides the Winter Toy Shop all sets are good investments.

Everyone that has one... Wants the rest of them...

The last 3 Xmas sets have proved not to be good investments due to oversupply. Only the post office and the train have had excellent gains and the rest are meh. Not saying they aren´t popular, just that the market has evolved and with everybody buying everything, these sets are best avoided.

In a saturated market, only stuff like Star wars OT iconic ships shift enough units to clear out stock. The rest is a time bomb waiting to explode.

Edited by Val-E
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Val-E said:

The last 3 Xmas sets have proved not to be good investments due to oversupply. Only the post office and the train have had excellent gains and the rest are meh. Not saying they aren´t popular, just that the market has evolved and with everybody buying everything, these sets are best avoided.

In a saturated market, only stuff like Star wars OT iconic ships shift enough units to clear out stock. The rest is a time bomb waiting to explode.

Define investment. SW was a great set upon release at the Lego store with Double VIP and Promo instasold on eBay for $165. 

QFLL > LTH

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Nice, so now we can turn to 2017 exclusives!

Possibles are:

75144 UCS Snowspeeder, if it hasn´t been cancelled. 

The hospital modular.

A Batman Lego movie set

A Ninjao movie set

2 more Star Wars sets - probably a large scale MF and an ISD or AT AT. Maybe Kylo Ren´s

We are due a large Friends set.

Maybe a Nexo Knights one too, but I doubt it.

We are due a boat/plane.

It´s the Technic 40th anniversary....

A non Batman Super Heroes set as there were none this year.

A large Speed Champions set

A remake/reissue of some sort, maybe Carousel maybe a monument.

A winter set

Edited by Val-E