Advice needed on EBay returns

So I'm thinking about adding 14 day returns to my ebay items in order to become a top rated seller. It's the only thing left for me to meet the criteria. I have a few concerns about this so was looking for some advice.

Firstly, is it worth it?

I know you get 10% off your final value fee, but but how does this stack up against the extra work?

Do people take advantage of this, has any one had bad experience with this?

I suppose I'm just worried about sending out a valuable set mint, and it being returned damaged in some way, or people renting used sets then retuning them.

Any always advice appreciated, thanks.

I have always accepted returns. If a buyer wants to scam you they will do so with or without a return policy. A buyer can very easily play the eBay system to force you to refund money. At my peak I was selling around $4k a month on eBay (very little Lego) over a couple hundred transactions, the returns averaged 1-2 a month or about 1% of sales.

By not accepting returns you are most certainly impacted your sales in a negative way. Top Rated sellers also receive better search rankings. This is perhaps the most valuable benefit depending on what you sell.

Edited by meowingthings
Mis typed.
  • Like 3

Lego is very minimal returns.  Out of 6000 sold sets the last 9 months only 4 returned.  2 were just because it came available at shop at home cheaper and were never opened and 2 were small $20 sets that got crushed.

Its worth the discount and eventually will probably be mandatory anyways.

• Like 2

I just started selling in earnest on ebay about 8 months ago.  I worried about scammers too, but have to agree with meows... a scammer will scam you with or without a return policy.  So I've always offered returns, have always described any box damage honestly, have always packed things very well, have always tried to ship quickly, and have done about 100 sales - about $4000 - have never had a return request.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Hey now, interesting development.  PayPal will reimburse its U.S. customers' shipping costs for up to four returns of items purchased between October 13, 2015 and January 31, 2016

http://money.cnn.com/2015/10/13/technology/paypal-free-return-shipping/index.html?iid=hp-stack-dom

Hopefully, our customers use up their 4 returns to Walmart, Target & Macy's before they get around to us...

• Like 2

I've never had a return on ebay, but most likely looking at one (non-lego) because the buyer said I didn't describe the (new item) properly. Anyways, who pays shipping, and do you still owe ebay fees on a return? 

Your listing should specify who pays the return shipping.  Typically it is the buyer.  Ebay will refund their fees, but you have to eat your original shipping cost.

So I'm thinking about adding 14 day returns to my ebay items in order to become a top rated seller. It's the only thing left for me to meet the criteria. I have a few concerns about this so was looking for some advice.

Firstly, is it worth it?

I know you get 10% off your final value fee, but but how does this stack up against the extra work?

Do people take advantage of this, has any one had bad experience with this?

I suppose I'm just worried about sending out a valuable set mint, and it being returned damaged in some way, or people renting used sets then retuning them.

Any always advice appreciated, thanks.

I'm a top rated seller, and I don't allow returns. If they make it mandatory, so be it. I do miss the nice discount I used to get though.

• 4 weeks later...

I have an eBay transaction where the buyer "Found a better price" which appears to be an approved return option.  They will be paying the return shipping and I do offer 14 day money back guarantee. 

Am I automatically out the shipping I paid to send the item and should consider this a cost of doing business?

For the future, can I put in my description that I charge a restocking fee and would that be honored? 

Edited by legogregors

7 minutes ago, Locutus001 said:

"Found a better price" what kind of crap is that?!
(Is that new crap? ;-) )

That's totally not cool, especially shipping LEGO where chances are that the box is at least slightly damaged during the process of sending it there and back.

It is still better than return policy that Amazon force on their 3rd party sellers, well until next year :drag:

14 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

It is still better than return policy that Amazon force on their 3rd party sellers, well until next year :drag:

So eh... I'm getting more and more afraid of selling at ebay ^.^
I mean if you're not already a solid business selling on ebay gets more and more complicated and nuts. It's as if ebay wants to kick private sellers out of selling there :-P

It's getting more and more like amazon and that's bad since ebay always has been the only good alternative...

guess more people will have to open their own internet shops sooner or later o.O

(found a better price! ... yeah well sorry... but that's no reason... you'll probably always find a better price someday).

57 minutes ago, Locutus001 said:

So eh... I'm getting more and more afraid of selling at ebay ^.^
I mean if you're not already a solid business selling on ebay gets more and more complicated and nuts. It's as if ebay wants to kick private sellers out of selling there :-P

It's getting more and more like amazon and that's bad since ebay always has been the only good alternative...

guess more people will have to open their own internet shops sooner or later o.O

(found a better price! ... yeah well sorry... but that's no reason... you'll probably always find a better price someday).

eBay has been wanting to be another Amazon for a few years now, instead of focusing their energy to distinguish themselves from competitions.  eBay is forgetting its core which is made up of many small sellers.

Anyway, there are other other selling venues, like BrickClassified, that would be more efficient than creating your own online presence.