Rumore - 2016 - Landmark - ?????

jharrison

18 hours ago, Crustybeaver said:

London is ranked number one top city for tourism and spending 5 times out of the last seven years (link) Saying that Germany has a bigger market than the UK based on population(?) doesn't give a true indication of what is popular, sells or being most iconic. While I agree that there are many world landmarks that would make great Architecture\Expert Creator sets disregarding Big Ben because it doesn't appeal to you doesn't necessarily reflect on public perception. Big Ben 21013 has been in production for 3.5 years now which would suggest that it moves numbers, same can be said for 21006 White House which has been going for close to 5 years. Parliament buildings like these are iconic the world over and make logical sense for Lego sets. 

"Big ben is just simple tower with clocks" Simple isn't a word I would use to explain the intricacies and detail of the Houses of Parliament 

Your post is the evidence, that big ben is not ideal landmark for lego - because you need to show detailed photo if you want to see the beauty of it. In lego scale, it will be just simply tower with a clock. In lego scale you need to have interesting and complicated outline of the building to be able to build perfect model in small scale, or you must go to deep detailed set with 10000 pieces and more. On the other side, there are many landmarks, which need just 1500 - 2000 pieces to build an attractive model.

If they put Big ben together with Parliament and make it with 5000-6000 pieces, than it is another story... but i bet on simple tower..

They would do much better choosing Tower instead of Big ben - there is no castle in such scale in lego history...

11 minutes ago, Ciglione said:

Let us just hope they retire the Tower Bridge before this one comes into play. So the damage will be less severe.

They’ll overlap them, allowing fans of TB to pick up Big Ben with cross over as the new set reinvigorates sales of TB.  TB will be phased out as its sales fall off.  

1 hour ago, mesje said:

Your post is the evidence, that big ben is not ideal landmark for lego - because you need to show detailed photo if you want to see the beauty of it. In lego scale, it will be just simply tower with a clock. In lego scale you need to have interesting and complicated outline of the building to be able to build perfect model in small scale, or you must go to deep detailed set with 10000 pieces and more. On the other side, there are many landmarks, which need just 1500 - 2000 pieces to build an attractive model.

If they put Big ben together with Parliament and make it with 5000-6000 pieces, than it is another story... but i bet on simple tower..

They would do much better choosing Tower instead of Big ben - there is no castle in such scale in lego history...

On the contrary my post detailed proof as to why Big Ben would be ideal for Lego. With London consistently being one of the most visited cities there would be no shortage of global appeal. Yes it's a tower with a clock face, but it's instantly recognizable as an iconic symbol. Have a look at this Telegraph article for the 10 most recognizable landmarks and you'll see Eiffel Tower, Statue of Liberty, Big Ben, Taj Mahal and Sydney Opera House in their list. 

5 hours ago, Crustybeaver said:

The only parliament building I would consider to be better looking architecturally speaking would be The Hungarian Parliament building, but is it more iconic? Would it sell as many sets? I'm sure Lego consider many factors when deciding which sets to put into production. 

It was really just a friendly jab at TabbyBoy but I think it proves a point that there are dozens if not hundreds of choices of beautiful buildings for LEGO to turn into beautiful sets. Whether or not something is truly "iconic" from a tourism perspective can also be debated ... I've never been to the Lincoln Memorial or the Seattle needle thingy (and know plenty of people who haven't either), but they got turned into sets. So many people visit so many beautiful buildings that I would wager that simply turning on of them into a LEGO set will make it iconic.

And I know I'm partial, but you can't tell me that the Canadian Parliament building isn't in the category of beautiful buildings and wouldn't translate into a great LEGO set.

img_1376-1024x768.jpg

3552525325_f43c9ca4b1_b.jpg

• Like 4

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2015‎ ‎5‎:‎57‎:‎11‎, mesje said:

Prrrrr..come on.... there are too many other big or important countries in the world, which should have a lego set... For example Germany (bigger market than UK), China, Spain, Italy, etc, etc. Repeating the same country is acceptable only if  1) TLG is producing landmarks 100 years, 2) there are 2 fantastic landmarks in 1 country - and sorry, it is not situation of UK. Big ben is just simple tower with clocks - yes, well known, but nothing special, neither from visual nor from architectural point of view.

You sound like an Anglophobe. I don`t care if Germany is a bigger market (probably just population wise), you go where the iconic buildings are. Otherwise we could just build Chinese and Indian buildings since they have half the worlds population (surely a bigger market by your logic). There will have been seven landmark buildings I believe and only 2 from the UK. London has many pothers that could be considered, so 2 is hardly excessive.

LEGO will have done market research and know what sells. You haven`t.

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2015‎ ‎10‎:‎18‎:‎52‎, gregpj said:

It was really just a friendly jab at TabbyBoy but I think it proves a point that there are dozens if not hundreds of choices of beautiful buildings for LEGO to turn into beautiful sets. Whether or not something is truly "iconic" from a tourism perspective can also be debated ... I've never been to the Lincoln Memorial or the Seattle needle thingy (and know plenty of people who haven't either), but they got turned into sets. So many people visit so many beautiful buildings that I would wager that simply turning on of them into a LEGO set will make it iconic.

And I know I'm partial, but you can't tell me that the Canadian Parliament building isn't in the category of beautiful buildings and wouldn't translate into a great LEGO set.

You are correct that the building is beautiful. However very few people know that is the Canadian Parliament. Whereas buildings like the Eiffel Tower, Tower Bridge, Big Ben etc are well known around the world. Fair, maybe not, but it is what it is. The Tower of London would be a good choice too - especially if the UK then has three sets - would annoy the Anglophobes on here!

You guys are all terrible... :)

4 hours ago, g978 said:

You are correct that the building is beautiful. However very few people know that is the Canadian Parliament. Whereas buildings like the Eiffel Tower, Tower Bridge, Big Ben etc are well known around the world. Fair, maybe not, but it is what it is. The Tower of London would be a good choice too - especially if the UK then has three sets - would annoy the Anglophobes on here!

I realize not many people would know what it is, but I'd never heard of Robie House or Fallingwater before seeing them in LEGO form. I realize most of their choices are iconic buildings or in the case of RH and FW they are iconic for different reasons, but my point was simply that "beautiful" buildings is a pretty relative term. I was just providing a sample of a alternate beautiful building in the more or less the same style as Big Ben. Many modern buildings, like Burj K, are beautiful in their own way too.

On 11/28/2015, 8:10:01, g978 said:

Agreed. As far as parliaments are going, this takes the cake for me. Yeah, I am biased. But nobody knows where it is so it will never be made into LEGO. 006_parlement-de-budapest_theredlist.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, inversion said:

Agreed. As far as parliaments are going, this takes the cake for me. Yeah, I am biased. But nobody knows where it is so it will never be made into LEGO.

If I remember right this is the parliament of hungary, isnt it? Beautiful city :)