Amazon Transit Times Help

I am extremely confused by Amazon transit times. I don't get why there are multiple times for the same service. When I create a listing it lists this:

Standard Shipping
4 - 14 business days
$5.49  

3 - 5 business days
Qualified sellers have the option to offer reduced shipping times.  Learn more
$5.49  
Expedited Shipping
2 - 6 business days
$8.47  

1 - 3 business days
Qualified sellers have the option to offer reduced shipping times.  Learn more
$8.47

1. Why does standard and expedited both have two different times?

2. Why can't I unselect 4-14? Can I not offer 3-5 only for standard?

3. If I select all 4 what the heck does the buyer see?

4. When I select all four I did a test by creating a new account and trying to buy to see what it looked liked. Judging by the delivery dates it listed it was using the 4-14 standard and the 2-6 ex. So it was ignoring the shorter times anyway. Why?

Really confused by this. What I would LIKE to offer is 3-5 standard and 1-3 ex only. Is this not possible?

It's different over here in the good old UK, but I think what your seeing is FBA by Amazon and fulfillment times by you (depending on the carrier you selected). Also are you on the basic account or the upgraded account? I might be totally wrong, but I've been on Amazon for like 2 years now and never come across this issue.

So basically I am wondering why there are four choices for listing (2 for standard and 2 for ex) when the buyer only sees two options (standard and ex) and they see the longer delivery times. When do the shorter times come into play for my buyer.

The first set of times is the default timing for each category. 

The second set of times for each category can be selected, but won't be reflected on your account until you "qualify", which includes a specific number of on time deliveries (link there should explain).