UPS Claims

teohwp85

I recently received two packages of retired sets via UPS from two separate stores, and the shipping boxes and sets within suffered from significant damage. So I started a claims process and was wondering how long the whole process is going to take. And if I'd receive the items back if the claims were rejected since I read that UPS has a stringent claims policy. 

Edited by teohwp85

Why would you file the claim? Isn't that the shipper's responsibility?

I was hoping I could get compensated for the damage. Since the items are already retired, I didn't want to ship back the item and get refunded for the amount I paid for them.

Edited by teohwp85

Claims must be filed by the shipper, and UPS is super-strict.  You have to show the damage, and prove that it was caused by UPS.  They will reject a claim for inadequate packaging, among other reasons.

I shipped an expensive guitar (PRS, $3000) about 18 months ago, and the package was hit pretty hard, hard enough to shear the hinges off the guitar case.   As the shipper, I filed the claim.  I had pictures of the packaging, guitiar, and case prior to shipment, including pictures of the guitar in the package, just before I sealed it.  UPS inspected the package, guitar, and case, and UPS eventually accepted my claim.  Took about 3 months, and they finally paid off the amount of the guitar case, $500.  Total hassle.  

Frankly, damage claims are almost impossible to move through the UPS system without extensive documentation and pictures.  IMHO, UPS insurance basically covers a package lost while in the possession of UPS, that's about it.  If you anticipate a claim for damage, take extensive pictures, pack you item well, and be ready to prove the loss with receipts.  And tell your buyer/receiver to STOP opening any package in which obvious damage seems to be present.  Have UPS inspectors there to finish the opening, or get a good video of the opening at a minimum.

99.9% of the time, UPS is going to deny your claim for damage to something like a Lego box (crushed, rips, tears) due to inadequate packaging.  This is something you must take up with the seller, and try to negotiate a partial refund.  Also note, as a seller, you're vulnerable to this.  Another good reason to take complete pictures of the actual sealed box for your auction (if on eBay)  and to pack your item well.

Edited by diablo2112

Claims must be filed by the shipper, and UPS is super-strict.  You have to show the damage, and prove that it was caused by UPS.  They will reject a claim for inadequate packaging, among other reasons.

I shipped an expensive guitar (PRS, $3000) about 18 months ago, and the package was hit pretty hard, hard enough to shear the hinges off the guitar case.   As the shipper, I filed the claim.  I had pictures of the packaging, guitiar, and case prior to shipment, including pictures of the guitar in the package, just before I sealed it.  UPS inspected the package, guitar, and case, and UPS eventually accepted my claim.  Took about 3 months, and they finally paid off the amount of the guitar case, $500.  Total hassle.  

Frankly, damage claims are almost impossible to move through the UPS system without extensive documentation and pictures.  IMHO, UPS insurance basically covers a package lost while in the possession of UPS, that's about it.  If you anticipate a claim for damage, take extensive pictures, pack you item well, and be ready to prove the loss with receipts.  

I tried to intercept my package at the UPS facility where it was sent for inspection and was told that I can't have it back. When I asked what'd happen to the package after inspection, I was told that it could either be shipped back to the sender or even DISCARDED! I'm going to contact the store now so that they can keep me posted on the claims status. URGH!

Edited by teohwp85

I tried to intercept my package at the UPS facility where it was sent for inspection and was told that I can't have it back. When I asked what'd happen to the package after inspection, I was told that it could either be shipped back to the sender or even DISCARDED! I'm going to contact the store now so that they can keep me posted on the claims status. URGH!

So UPS decided to ship back the package to the store. The store manager rang me up this morning to inform me that he received a fax from UPS asking the store to replace the item for me. Since the set was already retired, I asked him to ship it back to me. -_-