unintentional variations

conceptmachine

Question

I'm fairly new to collecting lego but have collected other items for some time.   What I've found interesting is that thru production there are always variations, intentional and unintentional.   We see many variations of a figure from set to set, but are there any figs that have changed their design elements in the same set?  A recent example of an unintentional variation (error) is the Flux capacitor emblem spelling in the DeLorean. The stickers for the monster fighter sets were intentional variations.  Anything else come to mind?

14 answers to this question

Some of the top of my head...

1 or 2 monster fighter sets with glow-in-the-dark stickers. vamp hearse was one.

Ant-Man

Tower Bridge brick count on boxes

Ghostbusters Ecto-1 manual change

UCS slave 1 sticker correction for a word.

10179 UCS MF had slightly element changes (elements were made different - see attached pics)

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

Smooth hair Leia?

yeah, that is a good one and fairly popular.

some minor SW changes were Vader's eyes despite the same head and suit (both earlier versions).  The Emperor's Royal Guards  (from 6211 ISD ) also came with either red or black hands for some reason.

Maybe 10199 Winter Toy Shop and it's replacement (ugh) should be included.  Ha

• Like 1

Personally would like to have a few color changed sets regarding vehicles.  Would keep my interest in collecting them and lining them up in a rainbow of colors.  It would alsi bring more individualization to people's collections.  I figure lego would love this idea, they would sell Loads.

One thing I have noticed with lego more than any other toy company, they don't make many mistakes compaired to others.  Lots of people in other sectors collect errors and variations,   there are many to choose from and track down.  This usually happened when either technologies/tools changed and or they went thru a large growth period, with large amounts of product.

One of the Episode 1 SW sets had different versions of Qui Gon or Obi Wan(different head), I can't remember which one, Republic Cruiser maybe?  The City Fire Helicoptor from a few years ago made a change mid production as well.

Some of the top of my head...

1 or 2 monster fighter sets with glow-in-the-dark stickers. vamp hearse was one.

Ant-Man

Tower Bridge brick count on boxes

Ghostbusters Ecto-1 manual change

UCS slave 1 sticker correction for a word.

10179 UCS MF had slightly element changes (elements were made different - see attached pics)

image.jpg

image.jpg

I actually had a buyer complain about these roll pins on a 10179 I sold saying the older version was the correct one and that I had changed parts on him.  I ended up having to get an email directly from Lego saying that they indeed used both parts to prove I hadn't ripped this guy off.  What's the deal with Ant Man?

• Like 1

I got  of each earlier releases.  One for display is glowing head.  One boxed probably is too, since purchased at same time.  This is a very cool variation IMO.  I like the monster fighter glow variations.  I don't have any that don't have glowing attributes.  But to be a completist...ii probably should hunt them down.

Edited by conceptmachine