10219 - Maersk Train

M4x18

I was going to tell you to buy a couple from Amazon at $120, but it looks like they jacked the price back up last night. Keep an eye on it though, they may randomly lower the price again in the near future.

I'll keep my eyes peeled. Perhaps after Christmas I can still grab one or two at around $120, especially because I want to build and play with one of the two boxes I do have :)

If you see it drop on Amazon, let me know!

Yeah you should definitely build one. I built one about a month or so ago and powered it up with power functions, one of my favorite Lego sets yet! It's a must especially for Lego train fans.

I will definitely keep you posted if I see or find any deals on this set.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I dunno. The emerald night can still be had for about 260-280, and it's an older set... If you're going to hold it for 2 or 3 years you might double your money after fees and shipping costs. But I think you'd get a quicker ROI on a clearance deal for a current set. Of course, if you want to build it, you probably won't find a better price.

Guest ph4tb0i

Yeah but just at the beginning of the year an emerald night could be had for 195, I'm an idiot for not getting a few.

I bit on 3 at around that price as I just got out of my dark ages and wanted a 4 coach Emerald Night (got another coach for $66 on an ebay auction in December. that was an incredible steal in hindsight)... With the way that thing is going I should have no problems selling off the engines and breaking even at some point. =D

The one thing I regret most was standing in a wall of 15 Maersk trains during christmas in manhattan last year for $119.99 each and not buying them all. Hell they had Helm's Deep in a gigantic pile for 99.99 and nobody was even touching them... *sigh*

OP. don't think. Just jump on it. This train has very good potential at getting to 300. It's a very long train and for people who love GP40 diesels (e.***. a lot of Canadians/Americans as this is the predominant freight diesel here) this is a MUST HAVE. 

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

What is the people's opinion here? Is it worth buying one MISB for 200 euro? Will it go up in value more in the future?

I personally don't think that it will go up in the future. It went up only 10% in value this year. I think that has a little more room for growth, but not enough that you can make a profit on it by buying it 200 euros.

• Like 1

I personally don't think that it will go up in the future. It went up only 10% in value this year. I think that has a little more room for growth, but not enough that you can make a profit on it by buying it 200 euros.

My thoughts exactly.

I'd put that money on a Triple-E.

I think you can easily sell it for 240-250 in 5 months.  It is the best looking freight-train out there in Lego-land.

I think you can easily sell it for 240-250 in 5 months.  It is the best looking freight-train out there in Lego-land.

I can see the set growing to a value of 250 euros, but would it be worth the time spent trying to sell it and keeping it for 4-5 months for 40-50 euros?

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

(going to resurrect this one for @Darth_Raichu)

So we built this set last week.... and although it's a wonderful looking set, it's a huge disappointment.

1) LOTS of stickers and some massive ones that are hard to get on without fingerprints.

2) LOTS of stickers and some massive and teenie tiny ones that are hard to place centered.

3) LOTS of stickers that the ink rubs off when you try to "eliminate" bubbles and the glassy effect when placing those transparent stickers.

4) LOTS of stickers next to studs (on those plate bricks with flat spots and then studs on the edges) that are almost impossible to smooth out.

That being said... other problems:

1) The train bumpers/magnets are super flimsy and fall off. Other trains don't seem to suffer from this but those pieces are always falling off.

2) The train is WAY TOO LONG .. it's so much longer than other trains that it requires extra room to turn corners. The grills in the front stick out too far and the cars are wider than usual so they cut the corners waaay more than normal city trains. The length also creates a challenge to placing the train on the tracks... so many bricks are attached to the boogie plates & wheels that they sag and are hard to place (and then the bumpers fall off and you have to start over).

3) The sides have a 1x8 tile attached by a single stud... it's always falling off when the kids play with it (it's a kids toy, of course they play with it).

4) Motorizing it wasn't hard, but the "on/off" switch for the battery box requires removal of some parts to turn on/off. Much less convenient than other trains for kids.

The conclusion? If you've still got one of these sealed.... it's a much better display piece than play piece!! What's with Maersk and stickers anyways?

• Like 4