USPS Lost Package question

I'm looking for some help from you Pickers who have had to file a lost package claim.

I've had a shipment drop off of tracking, my local post office isn't much help, and I'll probably be filing a claim in a couple of days. (This is my first time dealing with this.)

My buyer has been very patient so far, and I would like to keep them happy so they don't hit me with a neg.

At the same time, I'm assuming it could take a while to get the insurance money back for the lost package.  

I guess what I'm asking is :  At what point in this process am I "Safe" to refund the customers money?  I don't want to refund the money, the package comes back into the system, gets delivered, and the post office is off the hook for the Insurance, leaving me at the mercy of the buyer.  This seems unlikely to happen, but I don't want to take any chances.

Any advice?

On 7/30/2015 at 3:15 PM, cosmic brick said:

*update*

I got to digging around in the General Buying and Selling Forum and came up with this bit of info from justafrog:

"2. If the package is "lost in space" (no recent scans to tell you where it is), you can get the current tracking at USPS.com and ASK FOR EMAIL UPDATES (there's a box to click). You can ask for updates just to you, or to you and your customer. I don't know if I've just been lucky, but EVERY time I've had a package that the post office just vanishes in a puff of smoke and is stalled on tracking somewhere for days and days and have used this service, the package miraculously re-enters the flow of packages within a few days. Like I said, could be luck, or maybe they have to explain "never arrived" packages in some kind of internal auditing that this track-trace function generates."

So I gave this a try yesterday afternoon, and sure enough, I get an e-mail about 8 hours later. It's moved on the tracking page with a delayed status, but on its way to the customer. I never would have thought of this, and it's a great little tip that I want to pass on.

Thanks to all who replied, and a big thanks to justafrog.

Quoted from @cosmic brick's post below.

*update*

I got to digging around in the General Buying and Selling Forum and came up with this bit of info from justafrog:

"2. If the package is "lost in space" (no recent scans to tell you where it is), you can get the current tracking at USPS.com and ASK FOR EMAIL UPDATES (there's a box to click). You can ask for updates just to you, or to you and your customer. I don't know if I've just been lucky, but EVERY time I've had a package that the post office just vanishes in a puff of smoke and is stalled on tracking somewhere for days and days and have used this service, the package miraculously re-enters the flow of packages within a few days. Like I said, could be luck, or maybe they have to explain "never arrived" packages in some kind of internal auditing that this track-trace function generates."

So I gave this a try yesterday afternoon, and sure enough, I get an e-mail about 8 hours later. It's moved on the tracking page with a delayed status, but on its way to the customer. I never would have thought of this, and it's a great little tip that I want to pass on.

Thanks to all who replied, and a big thanks to justafrog.

• Like 7

• 5 months later...

I have a new lost package question and am hoping that someone has experienced something similar with a resolution.

USPS picked up a package, sent me the confirmation that the package was picked up (and it was), but has never scanned it, presumably hasn't delivered it and it has basically vanished.

I have contacted USPS but are they any additional steps that I can take or has this happened to someone before?

Thanks!

I recently bought an R2D2 where nearly the same thing happened.

The set was marked as shipped. Tracking was never updated for 3 weeks. I contacted the seller, they contacted USPS. The shipping was magically marked as delivered. I checked the delivery proof. The signature and the address were signed via straight lines (not how i sign). I was home the day it was supposed to be delivered (already being 3 weeks late). Pretty sure they sent it to the wrong place, stole it themselves, or its lost...

Not much you can do honestly... Create a ticket and wait.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone ever used USPS Intercept A Package for a lost package?  It has been 11 days since the last scan; package didn't qualify for a claim.  Emailed USPS, got "a claim number"...My local post office "is looking into this and has contacted the next destination" to see if they found it.  No insurance purchased...just a minifigure, but buyer wants a refund on Friday if not found by USPS.  Maybe Intercept A Package might get them moving on it or they find it, send it back to me, and resell it back to the original buyer?

UPDATE:  Nevermind....they charge $12.55 + postage to do this...not worth it.

Edited by Spelunkin_Paul
Add a comment

21 minutes ago, Spelunkin_Paul said:

Has anyone ever used USPS Intercept A Package for a lost package?  It has been 11 days since the last scan; package didn't qualify for a claim.  Emailed USPS, got "a claim number"...My local post office "is looking into this and has contacted the next destination" to see if they found it.  No insurance purchased...just a minifigure, but buyer wants a refund on Friday if not found by USPS.  Maybe Intercept A Package might get them moving on it or they find it, send it back to me, and resell it back to the original buyer?

UPDATE:  Nevermind....they charge $12.55 + postage to do this...not worth it.

See post above from Cosmic Brick. 

At first I thought this is crazy. Then I went back to the one package that "was lost" so far for me, and sure enough, shortly after I signed up for email alerts (because I was sick of checking via web all the time), it started traveling again. At that time I thought "what a coincidence". But after reading this thread I have second thoughts on that.

Edited by dinner41

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone alpine was kind enough to tell me about this thread because I've had a package that's been stuck in limbo for the last week and I tried the method that the OP mentioned and sure enough me opting to have email updates for the tracking fixed it so thank you very much OP! 

Edited by California92563