Creator 4954 purchase

Ive been looking for this creator Town House set for some time and have recently come across two very different sets. One is a MISB that has a flawless box for $375 all in for $400 with shipping OR an open set with a beat box but the poly bags are still sealed for $220 and I can pick it up locally. Typically I look for MISB but as far as an investment goes which do you think would in the future be the better choice?

Thanx guys

Longshot

If you want to build it: $220 option (obviously)

To invest (hold): Perhaps in this case you can buy the $220 version (sell) and then take your profits and use them to purchase a MISB. This would take into account that you want to store & hold this set and not build it.

Best price on ebay is 230 used + S/H (auction). fyi.

MISB fetches better returns.

• Like 1

The market value on here says a MISB is around $345 but many of the ebay listings show it much higher. Granted no SOLD listings have been that high. Im not sure if I were to sell the open (new) set what would be a good asking price. Its obviously not MISB nor is it used per se. Any thoughts?

Thanx

The market value on here says a MISB is around $345 but many of the ebay listings show it much higher. Granted no SOLD listings have been that high. Im not sure if I were to sell the open (new) set what would be a good asking price. Its obviously not MISB nor is it used per se. Any thoughts?

Thanx

Set 4954 has been retired for some time. The graph of it's value over the last 12 months shows very little change ($16 or something). Buying sets like these that have plateaued and aren't tied to a license (say Star Wars) that might give it a boost by returning to the public light is risky. Most people around here buy older sets like this to flip rather than long term hold hoping for a few more dollars.

http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=4954-1

$220 doesn't leave much room for a flip but it can be done if you have luck selling locally. Selling it with a beat up box on eBay will eat a little bit of the profit, but not too much. Say you sold it for $342 (the going rate this month).. minus shipping and fees you could make $50 (or a bit more depending on where you sell and the true cost of shipping). It's not a hot seller though (probably due to it's age and the number of them available on the secondary market).

I would stay away from the $400 option as an investment.

Yeah I was thinking the 400 could be put into any number of newer sets that will more then likely appreciate in value more quickly. Any thoughts on the Tower Bridge or Sydney Oprah House. They have both been out for some time and seem likely would get a bump when they retire.

Yeah I was thinking the 400 could be put into any number of newer sets that will more then likely appreciate in value more quickly. Any thoughts on the Tower Bridge or Sydney Oprah House. They have both been out for some time and seem likely would get a bump when they retire.

For the TB and SOH I suggest heading on over to their threads... reading... and deciding.

http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/9623-10214-tower-bridge/?page=1

But personally, I like the TB, SOH not so much... just way too big to display. TB displays nicely on a regular bookshelf.

That version might sell for a bit more...

• Like 1