Do You Hoard or Display UCS Sets?

I allow my only child, who is five, to build and play with most sets.  Star Wars UCS sets are put on a shelving unit and he understands they are for when he's much older and so he doesn't mess with them, although many of those sets are higher up and out of his reach.  And he's usually pretty good and gentle with those when I do let him play with them.  But, I have let him build and play with most of the regular SW, and LOTR sets, which I don't want to see destroyed, and he does a fairly good job of not acting like many of his friends, and even some of his cousins in regards to his toys.  We've only lost a few flick missiles and light sabers.  I started him at age 2 on lego's and he's gotten to the point, where he can build most sets by himself, including sets that say 12 and up.  I'm happy about his progress and feel that sometimes you may have to break some eggs, if you want to make an omelette.  Let em' build….and let' em play... most of this stuff is meant for kids, and they might eventually be building and engineering the future...

Edited by fossilrock
  • Like 2

I allow my only child, who is five, to build and play with most sets.  Star Wars UCS sets are put on a shelving unit and he understands they are for when he's much older and so he doesn't mess with them, although many of those sets are higher up and out of his reach.  And he's usually pretty good and gentle with those when I do let him play with them.  But, I have let him build and play with most of the regular SW, and LOTR sets, which I don't want to see destroyed, and he does a fairly good job of not acting like many of his friends, and even some of his cousins in regards to his toys.  We've only lost a few flick missiles and light sabers.  I started him at age 2 on lego's and he's gotten to the point, where he can build most sets by himself, including sets that say 12 and up.  I'm happy about his progress and feel that sometimes you may have to break some eggs, if you want to make an omelette.  Let em' build….and let' em play... most of this stuff is meant for kids, and they might eventually be building and engineering the future...

Both my 6 and 8 year olds have already sold some of their used LEGO sets on EBay and reinvested the proceeds into new sets they wanted. This was entirely their idea, and I let them establish their minimum asking price for each set. I also loosely introduced them to the idea of pay pal/eBay/ shipping fees and showed them what ended up with in their pocket after the sale. They even took the photos for the eBay listings.

I'm like you in that I have sets set aside for future use. Even at their age, my youngest understand that some sets are very valuable  and we're saving them for something special. I do have a whole shelf of clearance/ninjago/creator/ used sets/etc that the boys know they're free to select sets from to build as they like.

• Like 3

Both my 6 and 8 year olds have already sold some of their used LEGO sets on EBay and reinvested the proceeds into new sets they wanted. This was entirely their idea, and I let them establish their minimum asking price for each set. I also loosely introduced them to the idea of pay pal/eBay/ shipping fees and showed them what ended up with in their pocket after the sale. They even took the photos for the eBay listings.

I'm like you in that I have sets set aside for future use. Even at their age, my youngest understand that some sets are very valuable  and we're saving them for something special. I do have a whole shelf of clearance/ninjago/creator/ used sets/etc that the boys know they're free to select sets from to build as they like.

That's excellent.  I haven't got to the point with my son to where he is using ebay… but i'm hoping to get there soon enough.  I'm definitely a sucker for most SW UCS and architecture sets, and that's where most of my investment money is.  I don't go super crazy on hoarding UCS sets, but try to always buy two at least, with the max goal of getting three with some of those for long term investment, or incase something happens to the others and I might need to crack one open as an emergency version (hope to never do that)..

I really don't see myself ever parting with some of these UCS star wars sets I open though.  I still have a few cases of SW figures from when I was a kid, so maybe he'll take some of these sets after he's out of college, or maybe not.  

But yes, clearance sets are great.  Especially ones at WM's where it looks like the minifies might have been ripped from the box and you get them for about 30% retail.  I find myself sometimes buying up really beat up clearance sets at walmart from time to time.  I'll go to brick link on my phone and see what bricks are in the set, and if it's fairly good, we'll buy then, open the box, and part some of them and dump them into his lego cubes, where they are used for his little kid "moc's"..  It's a good cheap way to land some parts…  

I have a whole room dedicated to the display of all my Legos.  I have to give the kids credit, they know absolutely not to touch.  Of course, they are 11 and 10 and know better too.  Plus the wife would lay down a world of hurt on top of me if they ever did.  But I do make sure they have their own to play with.  I've bought them several different friends sets, and they love playing with those and taking apart, and building all kinds of neat little things with them.

The only problem I've ever really had with my Legos, is the wife and I's good friend's daughter.  She's around 3, and a sneaky little devil.  You don't need to be gone for just a couple of minutes, and she'll find the Legos, and destroy them.