60061 - Airport Fire Truck

Ciglione

Is the 60061 Airport Firetruck on its way out? Or is it such a good seller? I haven't seen it anywhere. Not even at SaH.

I really like it. So I would like to have one for myself at least. 

Yes, they will be gone soon in the US, or at least they appear to be on the way out.

Not here in the US it was in all the major stores, but like with most of the great vehicles it was only around for a year.

It was on the Wal-Mart "don't restock" list from the get go it seemed.  Once stores ran out or clearanced them, they didn't come back.  I was lucky a WM I was in clearanced these, the new Doc-Ock, and the CA vs. Hydra sets right when they were first delivered for 50% off.  They restocked the SH sets, but not the Airport Firetruck.

• 7 months later...

This one has seen a nice boost on Amazon recently, pushing $85.  Not many sellers on the main listing, but then there's 112 sellers on an alternative listing and most of them are Japanese sellers.  What's up with that?

http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-City-60061-Airport-Truck/dp/B00F3B3EKY/ref=sr_1_4?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1455112310&sr=1-4&keywords=lego+60061

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, exciter1 said:

I sold out. $85-$95 for all....Buy-in $15 or less.

How do you do it exciter? I mean... how do you see a set like this and say, "$15? ... I'll take them ALL... this baby's going to $90!"  I mean, if I saw it at $15... I'd probably pass (I probably did).  What do you see in sets like this that is missing in other 50% off City sets? Or do you just take all 50% off sets, and figure some will be winners, and some will break even?

30 minutes ago, Kenxxx said:

How do you do it exciter? I mean... how do you see a set like this and say, "$15? ... I'll take them ALL... this baby's going to $90!"  I mean, if I saw it at $15... I'd probably pass (I probably did).  What do you see in sets like this that is missing in other 50% off City sets? Or do you just take all 50% off sets, and figure some will be winners, and some will break even?

I really haven't had any issues offloading 1/2 price City sets.  Yes, some are bigger winners than others.  With this one in particular, I lucked out when it was first released and my Wal-Mart clearanced them immediately. I picked up a handful at 50% off, along with some $10 SH Truck Heists and Cap vs. Hydra at that time.  I picked up a few more throughout it's lifecycle when it was on-sale briefly here and there at TRU and then again at TRU when they were $14.98 plus TRUTH at the end, I grabbed them all.

I do pick and choose some, but I do usually end up with multiples of each I find and go deeper on some I feel good about.  The Airport Fire Truck had whisperings of disappearing early, so didn't mind getting them at 50+% off toward the end.

It's performed very similarly to the Logging Truck and Fire Boat from the previous year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kenxxx said:

I'm not Exciter, but can weigh in on this one.  I wasn't lucky enough to find this one at $15, but I bought all that I could when I was able to get them for between 25%-30% off.  For me, this one was an easy call much like the Logging Truck.  Why?  I'm not sure that I can really articulate it...it was one of those sets that just felt like the "right" thing to buy.  I have found that the longer that I do this, the more my spidey-sense can direct me to good buys.  Is it foolproof?  Not by any stretch of the imagination, but I rarely lose money on the sets that I buy and if I can sprinkle in a handful of sets like this, Logging Truck, Star Wars Barc Speeder, and AT-RTs each year, I do pretty well on an aggregate basis.  I find that the hardest part is trusting my instincts enough to go 100-200 deep on a set. 

I just don't get it.  Search "Lego firetruck" on Amazon (like any Grandma would) and you find 6 or 10 nice looking, cheaper options available. Who is paying $80 for this? Are there that many City Airport / Fire completists (completionists?) out there that "forgot" to get this set, and just have to have it?  So everybody but me just "felt good" about this set.  What made you feel good about it?

2 minutes ago, Kenxxx said:

I just don't get it.  Search "Lego firetruck" on Amazon (like any Grandma would) and you find 6 or 10 nice looking, cheaper options available. Who is paying $80 for this? Are there that many City Airport / Fire completists (completionists?) out there that "forgot" to get this set, and just have to have it?  So everybody but me just "felt good" about this set.  What made you feel good about it?

Here is another phenomena that paid well.  Blue Brick boxes... I can't explain 'em.

https://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Ultimate-Building-Set-Pieces/dp/B000NO9GT4/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1465914141&sr=1-1&keywords=lego+6166

https://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Deluxe-Brick-Building-6167/dp/B000K09IXA/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1465914245&sr=1-1&keywords=lego+6167

1 minute ago, Kenxxx said:

Know how we talked about the EMM? This is the Ex-1 method.

Airport fire trucks have always looked cooler than regular ones. They have a "Military" appearance to them. Perhaps this is what @exciter1's gut is telling him.

There was supposed to be a new Technic Airport Firetruck, ( Lego Technic 42051 Airport Rescue Vehicle (cancelled) but I think it got pulled.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kenxxx said:

I got a heads up from Ciglione on the forum and trusted his instincts.

• Like 2