Completionist Collecting - What themes or Lego items do you collect them all

Got to catch them all!

228px-Chinpokomon.jpg

What Lego themes do you go all in for?  You've just got to buy every single item, from large expensive set to small obscure polybag.  Something small like LotR or Monster Fighters, or are you crazy enough to go all out for every Star Wars set?

Or what Lego items or subthemes to you have to have every one of?  Like every UCS set, or something small like every CMF in a costume (Lizard guy, Hotdog, Unicorn etc)

For me it was Lord of the Rings sets (not Hobbit).  I have every LotR set across both waves, from the mighty Orthanc to the rare 5000202 Elrond Polybag.  Although recently I've started selling off some of my sets to make display room and get money for other purchases, but I have only sold the models and still have all the minifigs.

I also have a collection of every Zombie minifigure ever produced, plus every X-Men minifigure.

I'm interested to see what other compulsive collectors we have :)

comicbookguy_thecollector_victory_pose_r

We have all the CMFs even though we only got back into LEGO around series 10. I bought all of the series we missed and have been giving them as gifts for birthday/mother's day/etc for almost two years now.

We like waaaay too many themes to try and complete anything else though I'd love to fill out my UCS collection. :)

• Like 1

I not really a completionist for any specific theme, but I'm trying to get all the SW UCS sets, but that is difficult since the older ones are very expensive. I will focus on getting the newer ones so I don't have to purchase later down the road for a higher price.

LOTR was what brought me out of my dark ages, so I have every set + Hobbit. Some of the smaller series were easy to complete: Monster Fighters, POTC, and Lone Ranger. I started on the modulars late, but have every one since GG now...don't know if I'll ever bite the bullet on Market Street and Cafe Corner...

• Like 1

We have all the CMFs even though we only got back into LEGO around series 10.

I was thinking there must be a fair few CMF collectors out there that have the whole lot.  Myself I usually just grab 4 or 5 of my favs from each series.

Forgot to add Simpsons, I have the two large sets and the full sets of CMFs for them. 

I have collected all of the LOTR & Hobbit sets that came in a box (no polybags or SDCC exclusives). I'm thinking my next move will be to finish up some of the smaller Castle themes from years gone by....Dark Forest & Wolfpack (already own one set from each of those themes). I would love to have the original Forestman sets, but they're pretty pricey...

Star Wars, although I am hesitating on the non-UCS sets from yesteryear.   Over 130 sets and counting.  I will have at least one of everything that gets released from now on in perpetuity.

LOTR/Hobbit was one that sneaked up on me, though.   Now I have to have them all.   Still more than a few to go.   ToO is in the collection now as are all of the latest wave and some of the retired sets, basically anything that I could find still sitting on a store shelf over the last 6 months (except the ship, which only had beat to hell examples left on shelves at Toys R Us).

Another theme that spoke to me when it went on clearance again recently was Galaxy Squad.   I have the complete collection (including polybags) plus a couple extras that I popped open to build.   Speaking of, why is Galaxy Squad not listed in the themes here?   Is it really garbage in the eyes of the investment community?

Classic Space is on my radar.   That was my childhood LEGO collection that I gave away when I was still in my teens.   I've only acquired one of those sets so far.   I am also collecting anything that gets released from now on that is a "Space" theme just because.

I was thinking there must be a fair few CMF collectors out there that have the whole lot.  Myself I usually just grab 4 or 5 of my favs from each series.

Forgot to add Simpsons, I have the two large sets and the full sets of CMFs for them. 

They are easy to store/display and the kids do get a kick out of them. I've purchased doubles (and the occasional triple) of the ones the kids really like so they don't fight over them. Luckily it's usually the cheaper ones like the space guys and aliens. :)  And yeah, I know... kids shouldn't be spoiled but a few bucks is worth my sanity!

After a quick shopping trip to TRU last night, I have to add that we have the entire collection of the new Bionicles now (almost 2x of each set as well). The kids love them... especially my 4 (soon to be 5) year old. He takes them up to his room at night and plays with them almost every day. We also have about 20lbs of older bionicles and hero factory that they create with.

• Like 1

Disclaimer: I am a collector first and foremost, who occasionally dabbles in resale to make ends meet. I buy sets at probably a 9:1 personal collection vs. investment collection ratio. I'm the droid you're looking for when you list retired sets for well over RRP on Ebay.

Currently I'm working on picking up sets from the following lines, with my ultimate goal to own the entire series of each when I'm done:

Modular buildings, Architecture, Creator model buildings, Winter Village, The Lego Movie, all the major pirate ships since the 80's, Advanced models, large exclusives post-2011.

Edited by Deadfraggle
spelling
  • Like 3