Grey versus Bluish Grey

Mmookk61

Question

OK.  Just getting back into LEGO.  If this has been asked recently I will take my beating then move on :-)  Are all new parts being produced now the Bluish variety of grey or are both bluish and regular grey being produced?  Sometimes I look at my grey parts and say :This is blue grey?"  Thank you

7 answers to this question

OK.  Just getting back into LEGO.  If this has been asked recently I will take my beating then move on :-)  Are all new parts being produced now the Bluish variety of grey or are both bluish and regular grey being produced?  Sometimes I look at my grey parts and say :This is blue grey?"  Thank you

I believe both bluish grey and grey are produced.  I think bluish grey, which still looks fairly grey, is more abundant and therefore a bit cheaper to buy on bricklink.

I believe both bluish grey and grey are produced.  I think bluish grey, which still looks fairly grey, is more abundant and therefore a bit cheaper to buy on bricklink.

original grays (light and dark) production stopped about 2003/ 2004. Some sets that were originally produced with the old grays even had later runs with the new grays (the UCS Star Destroyer for example). 

Many Bricklink sellers do offer both types of old grays.  However, they do seem to discolor pretty easily. My 6080 King's Castle was stored untouched from 1987 to 2012 (I played with it as a kid maybe only 15 times from 1984-1987).  When I finally showed it to my son, I was surprised about 20% of the grays started get that slight brown tint. Same with my old Black Falcon's Fortress and Armor sets from that same era.  

Anyway, the old grays are abundant because they were produced for decades.  Plenty of them out there whereas the new grays (or bleys as we call them) have only been around for 13 years or so.  The only reason why it appears bleys are more widely available than old grays is because Lego is producing more sets and they are more AFOLs are breaking up sets to sell as parts, minifigs, etc... plus doing MOCs.

• Like 1

I don't believe that Lego would be producing Bluish-Gray and Gray and the same time. I did a quick search on Bricklink for some of the newest sets and all of them had pieces that were bluish gray. I haven't found, and I really doubt that there are recent sets that use the old gray.

• Like 1