What sets are going EOL?

comicblast

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I'm thinking about getting two copies of the 7879 Echo Base set, one for my personal collection and one to keep for resale.  Do you think now is the time to pick this one up?  Any predictions on how well it will do once it goes EOL?  I know people have mixed feelings about the set in general, but I'm not sure if Lego will remake an Echo Base set like this again.  The people who are disappointed wanted to see the command room, snow speeder hanger, shield generator, etc, and this would take a lot of bricks to put in a set (even a UCS sized set).

Speculation, but I'm thinking:

Star Wars Endor Rebel Trooper and Imperial Trooper 9489

Star Wars X-Wing Starfighter 9493

Star Wars Droid Escape 9490

Star Wars Desert Skiff 9496

Star Wars Republic Striker-class Starfighter 9497

Star Wars Elite Clone Trooper and Commando Droid B 9488

Star Wars Saesee Tiin's Jedi Starfighter 9498

Star Wars Tie Fighter 9492

Star Wars Jabba's Palace 9516

Star Wars Sith Fury-class Interceptor 9500

Star Wars Geonosian Cannon 9491

Star Wars The Malevolence 9515

Star Wars Gungan Sub  9499

Star Wars B-Wing Fighter 10227

Star Wars Pre Vizsla's Mandalorian Fighter 9525

Star Wars Anakin's Jedi Interceptor 9494

its hard to tell - overall it is a nice set, but nothing to desirable about it, except for the mini figures in it!

True, but I think this is the driving factor behind most Star Wars sets (and licensed sets as a whole).  I'm actually not too keen on most of the Star Wars line outside of the figs, and I'm a huge Star Wars geek.  The latest 2012 and 2013 wave are the only ones I've seen that really pique my interest.  I haven't felt a strong need to go back and get anything that was out during my dark age.

I'm probably going to pick them both up.  I can't see it losing money, at the very least I'd get my money back when it goes EOL.  I'm not a big time investor, just trying to cherry pick some sets that will do well after retirement to fund more Lego for my personal collection.

Speculation, but I'm thinking:

Star Wars Endor Rebel Trooper and Imperial Trooper 9489

Star Wars X-Wing Starfighter 9493

Star Wars Droid Escape 9490

Star Wars Desert Skiff 9496

Star Wars Republic Striker-class Starfighter 9497

Star Wars Elite Clone Trooper and Commando Droid B 9488

Star Wars Saesee Tiin's Jedi Starfighter 9498

Star Wars Tie Fighter 9492

Star Wars Jabba's Palace 9516

Star Wars Sith Fury-class Interceptor 9500

Star Wars Geonosian Cannon 9491

Star Wars The Malevolence 9515

Star Wars Gungan Sub  9499

Star Wars B-Wing Fighter 10227

Star Wars Pre Vizsla's Mandalorian Fighter 9525

Star Wars Anakin's Jedi Interceptor 9494

Do you think they'd retire Jabba's Palace while the Rancor PIt is still around?  I feel like they want these both on the shelves at the same time since they're designed to connect together.

True, but I think this is the driving factor behind most Star Wars sets (and licensed sets as a whole).  I'm actually not too keen on most of the Star Wars line outside of the figs, and I'm a huge Star Wars geek.  The latest 2012 and 2013 wave are the only ones I've seen that really pique my interest.  I haven't felt a strong need to go back and get anything that was out during my dark age.

I'm probably going to pick them both up.  I can't see it losing money, at the very least I'd get my money back when it goes EOL.  I'm not a big time investor, just trying to cherry pick some sets that will do well after retirement to fund more Lego for my personal collection.

Do you think they'd retire Jabba's Palace while the Rancor PIt is still around?  I feel like they want these both on the shelves at the same time since they're designed to connect together.

According to word on the street from Bulldog "the pimp", yes.

If we take TLC at their word, JP is going at the end of this year regardless of the status of the Rancor Pit.  Now whether RP is going is another story. 

Good deal on RP on Amazon now...$45.60.  Link on 9/26 deals page.

I did some digging online, and it looks like Lego pulled production of Jabba's Palace due to Islamic protests.  I guess it looks similar to a mosque or something.  I wonder if this will further increase the value of this set due to the controversy, and the fact that Lego will probably not touch this setting again because of the protests.

An employee at one of the my local Lego stores told me that they still have a lot of SSDs available at the store.  They just don't move well.

He believes the main reason is that it's a 4' long model and a $400 (plus tax) price tag.  Not that many people are willing to spend that much money, especially on a 4' model where they don't have space to display it.   It seems makes sense though.

Anyways, I plan on getting more SSDs when October 2x points promotion begins.

You can get the Jabba's palace pretty cheap $91.00 and there are alot of guys have gotten these way cheaper at Walmart and Target.I don't see why anybody would think that this set will not be a good investment, you seen how fast the price for these went up when the rumor went out that lego was going to stop making these, well when the Retiring sign pops up on Lego well more Panic buying will happen again, now if you have say 20 of these and if you can make $150 or so profit on each one would you be happy. But the big question is lego really retiring this set after Christmas or will it run til the end of 2014 like its suppose to. Well we will see. I have 47 of these and might get a few more. I got all of them for $80 each, So a few years down the road this will be a good money maker, and all those guys that ask if $69.99 for the Vampire Castle, well the ones that didn't get them will have the blues for a long time. $69.99 thats wholesale prices. And on the Helm's Deep well Toys R US has plenty for the Holidays, I been in 5 Tru Stores in the last 2 weeks and each store had at least 8 each. But next Christmas they should be close to $200

• Like 1

I think the VC will be a good lesson for those of us who are less than a year into investing and collecting. To be honest, I've been here since Jan and it will be nice to see a larger set retire firsthand.

That's also a good lesson for the newer guys. An eol is a rare occasion for like 10 months of the year.