10185 - Green Grocer

BuckeyeFanDan

It was tongue-in-cheek, as much as I love the GG...cost to acquire it is too much for my budget to splurge.  And renting a set would be too painful to give back especially if you have a perfect spot for it :)  Thanks for the offer redghostx.  But lmk if you have a new set and what you want to trade for it.  I guess the GG is almost like the value of 4 PS.  From an investment perspective, 4 PS would out pace one GG.  If and when GG hits $1000, $800 CAN would seem like a bargain obviously.

*wow, that's a crazy offer Follows Closely.  I'm sure you will find a buyer.  You will make a nice profit from the prices you got them at. 

• 1 month later...

I haven't built a Slave I UCS set just yet, so i didn't realize until tonight that this particular set includes (4) Sand Green 1x8 bricks in the inventory. For a nanosecond I thought maybe I might be able to pick up some of these from the Bricks and Pieces site by typing in set #8097 vs. #10185 to complete my Green Grocer (I'm using a substituted mix of Sand Green 1x4s, 1x6s and 1x2s). 

Not surprisingly, the Sand Green 1x8's are "out of stock" on the bricks and pieces page even under set #8097. I'm actually curious here. Is this simply a control measure by TLG to keep collectors from MOCing 100% authentic Green Grocer sets at a reasonable cost, thereby keeping secondary market prices and perceived value of key LEGO sets high? 

I can't really think of another reason. It's not a specialty part requiring a unique mold. It's obviously not an out-of-production color. Why else would LEGO keeps us from buying the SG 1x8s at the .69 cent cost they charge for black 1x8s?

Edited by Deadfraggle

I haven't built a Slave I UCS set just yet, so i didn't realize until tonight that this particular set includes (4) Sand Green 1x8 bricks in the inventory. For a nanosecond I thought maybe I might be able to pick up some of these from the Bricks and Pieces set by typing in set # 8097 vs. #10185 to complete my Green Grocer (I'm using a substituted mix of Sand Green 1x4s, 1x6s and 1x2s). 

Not surprising, the Sand Green 1x8's "out of stock" on the bricks and pieces page even under set #8097. I'm actually curious here. Is this simply a control measure by TLG to keep collectors from MOCing 100% authentic Green Grocer sets at a reasonable cost, thereby keeping secondary market prices and perceived value of key LEGO sets high? 

I can't really think of another reason. It's not a specialty part requiring a unique mold. It's obviously not an out-of-production color. Why else would LEGO keeps us from buying the SG 1x8s at the .69 cent cost they charge for black 1x8s?

Maybe other people noticed those pieces were available from bricks & pieces & ordered away leaving it to go out of stock...? Just a thought...

• 3 weeks later...

interesting, in the description they also say "2. More COPY WORKS of Modular Building Sets are available or would come out in the future,Such as 10196-Grand Carousel, 10143- Dealth star and 10179-Millennium Falcon 10179,10197-Fire Brigrade."

The brick quality looks poor - the spaces and bricks are uneven.  I wouldn't buy it either.

Edited by runormal

If you read the description, even the seller essentially admits that it's crap:

Durable, similar material but required care during using and playing. However, they are not as perfect as Lego bricks and BUILDING IS NOT EASY! It might be a slightly difference in colour. REFUND FOR THIS ITEM IS NOT ACCEPTED!

I actually don't see anything wrong with this. It isn't licenced, nothing proprietary about building something with bricks

The issue is nipping the counterfeit business in the butt. First there were minifigs, then licensed replicas of minifigs, now modular. These knock offs will devalue the market. Imagine paying for a genuine GG only to find out some green bricks were counterfeit.

can't list under category Lego & shouldn't appear under Lego search...

Search and browser manipulation is all over this one. The words "LEGO" and "10185" should not appear in the title. As crappy as the "custom copy" is, if it was listed in the right category and didn't use what effectively amounts to LEGO's MPN in the title it would be allowed.

Yes, I said it.. might be some use to having to specify the MPN after all. And yes I realize they are allowed to use whatever part number they want, but it does fall under a bunch of eBay categories for search and browse manipulation if worded correctly in the complaint.

• Like 3