Star Wars Episodes I-VI: What order would you watch with your kids

ISO8T0

​Han Solo                   - Brash

C-3PO                      - Whiney

Luke Skywalker        - Innocent (A New Hope)

Qui Gon Jin              - preferred him in Taken

Queen Amidala         - God she's annoying

Jar Jar Binks             - #################################################################################

​I think you have C-3PO and Luke backwards.

​Which strangely reflects his son, Luke Skywalker's own trip of starting out as a whiny boy living on a farm to becoming the badass Jedi knight by Episode 6.

​The problem is, you actually could feel for the character, as there was true emotions involved throughout the whole thing.  He evolved as a character and as an actor to help bring it all together, so in the basic of context, yes he was whiny at first, but it wasn't like nails on a chalkboard.  And besides, Hayden Christianson was just absolutely terrible.  Not believable in any sense of the word.

​The problem is, you actually could feel for the character, as there was true emotions involved throughout the whole thing.  He evolved as a character and as an actor to help bring it all together, so in the basic of context, yes he was whiny at first, but it wasn't like nails on a chalkboard.  And besides, Hayden Christianson was just absolutely terrible.  Not believable in any sense of the word.

​A friend of mine made the crazy mistake of watching Ep. IV and then Ep. VI.  After I berated him, he pondered, "I wondered why Luke grew up so fast?"  I still don't think he's watched Ep. 1-3.

Edited by exciter1

I would recommend the following order: 4, 3, 5, 6

This sequence eliminates 1 and 2 entirely.  This way the story begins in media res with the rebels engaged in battle against the empire.  By following 4 with 3 it solidifies that the story is about vader.  Episode 3 ends with the birth of Luke and Leia which dovetails nicely back to episode 5 where vader is searching for Luke.  It also feels more balanced. 

Vader defeats Obi Wan in episode 4, is then defeated himself in episode 3, strikes back and defeats Luke in 5, and then is ultimately defeated by his son in 6. 

It doesn't lessen the surprise that vader is Luke's father as revealed in 5, but heightens it because by following 3, it adds much more weight to the entire search for his son and the reveal is made even more climactic. 

It paralles the structure of Milton's paradise lost in which we are introduced to the devil, flashes back to his fall from grace, and the returns to the present and concludes with a redemption story, in this case not in Eden, but Endor. 

Edited by snot

​Hmm, manipulative fits him better

​All Jedi are manipulative. They made mind control (sorry, "persuasion") popular.

Jedi: Have any smokes?
Clerk: Sure, that will be five dollars.
Jedi: I already gave you five dollars.
Clerk: Your f***in' Jedi mind tricks won't work on me, s*** for brains!

​All Jedi are manipulative. They made mind control (sorry, "persuasion") popular.

Jedi: Have any smokes?
Clerk: Sure, that will be five dollars.
Jedi: I already gave you five dollars.
Clerk: Your f***in' Jedi mind tricks won't work on me, s*** for brains!

Lol ​But Qui Gon used the wave hand technique every time he wanted things done his way.

Also, Jedi Anakin was not manipulative since he could be easily manipulated :P

• 1 month later...

My last Star Wars Day was spent watching in the Renegade configuration : 

Original Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back followed by Clones and RotS (as flashbacks so as not to spoil the final showdown in Empire) followed by Return of the Jedi.  

Depending on how much your kids enjoy the clones, the entire Clone Wars animated series is on Netflix.  Look up online the chronological order of episodes (they really messed with timelines, almost as bad as Fox originally airing 'Firefly') and weed out the ones you know they will dislike (political drama, etc.).  The series will also get them hooked into Rebels more firmly, now that Ahsoka is in the crew.

• 2 weeks later...

My son is 4.  He has seen 1 (it is like a cartoon and not too bad until the Darth Maul fight), 4, 5, & 6.  I hesitate on 2 and 3 is out of the question due to it's dark nature.  I find that even some of the Clone Wars cartoons get darker after Season 3 starts so I have curtailed those as well.....with some things it is best to wait to expose the kiddoes to.

Episodes 4, 5, & 6 he was fine with and already knew the characters.  He had few questions other than relating the characters together.  And he enjoyed playing with his Lego minifigs along with the movies! Enjoy!