BrickIndex Accuracy?

Can somebody clear up for me what this represents? It says "top performing LEGO sets on eBay over the past six months" But it seems like it's miscalculating the rankings? 

BrickIndex: http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/brickindex.cfm

70752 is #1? This is still available for $7 on SAH. Is it taking the price of the lots it's included in?

http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=41017-1 - Selling much lower
http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=31023-1  - Negative CAGR?
http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=850889-1 - Selling much lower

Sometimes new sets get skewed sales data from poor listings.   There might be lots or parted out sets included until a solid baseline is created from multiple legit sales.   If the first few items sold are in lots, it throws off the numbers until more sales of singular items are aggregated.  I will go over the sold listings on my computer tomorrow and remove any bad listings manually.  

We aggregate tens/hundreds of thousands of sold listings on any given month, so there are some errors.  New sets are always an issue.   We have an idea to correct this, but as with anything, there are certain other issues taking priority at the moment.  Thanks.  

I have the Death Star troopers battlepack in my Brickfolio. The problem is a lot of sold listings are double packs with 2x of each set. It comes up at 149% CAGR ( I bought it 30% off retail). Truth is it is still selling at around retail.

Edited by mike_eldorado

Sometimes new sets get skewed sales data from poor listings.   There might be lots or parted out sets included until a solid baseline is created from multiple legit sales.   If the first few items sold are in lots, it throws off the numbers until more sales of singular items are aggregated.  I will go over the sold listings on my computer tomorrow and remove any bad listings manually.  

We aggregate tens/hundreds of thousands of sold listings on any given month, so there are some errors.  New sets are always an issue.   We have an idea to correct this, but as with anything, there are certain other issues taking priority at the moment.  Thanks.  

​I see yeah that makes sense. Thanks!

I have the Death Star troopers battlepack in my Brickfolio. The problem is a lot of sold listings are double packs with 2x of each set. It comes up at 149% CAGR ( I bought it 30% off retail). Truth is it is still selling at around retail.

​Ah that's too bad. I guess it just needs some tweaking. Detecting lots and such. If I was doing a dummy calculation I might use the Amazon price minus like 15% (or make some comparison against Amazon as a check it's not a lot).

​I see yeah that makes sense. Thanks!

​Ah that's too bad. I guess it just needs some tweaking. Detecting lots and such. If I was doing a dummy calculation I might use the Amazon price minus like 15% (or make some comparison against Amazon as a check it's not a lot).

​Right now we filter out all sets above or below 15% of the average sold price, but with the new sets, sometimes we have no sales to refer to.  Jeff is going to make the MSRP the baseline for "new" sets or sets with no previous listings.  The management system is currently down, but when he gets a chance, he will fix it for me so I can examine the sold listings for the two sets mentioned above.  He is currently visiting Prince George.  

Edited by Ed Mack