10188 - UCS: Death Star

duckyruiz

You may fire when ready.  

776 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed Death Stars do you own?

• 1 - 2
    • 3 - 4
    • 5 - 9
    • 10 - 15
    • 16 - 20
    • 21 - 25
    • 26 - 50+
  2. 2. Do you believe the set will make a great investment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  3. 3. Will it ever retire?

• Sure, soon as I fire my Photon Torpedo.
    • Nope, I'll be dead before that happens.
    • Perhaps, when Hell freezes over.

If you are really worried about the box condition you could always take it to a TRU parking lot and sell it for $350-$375 and then use the proceeds to buy a new one in a better box.;)

I always keep 3-4 of every current set in my trunk when I hang out in the TRU parking lot, just in case...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Since folks have wondered about how often a set goes out of stock, I figured i would note that the Death Star is currently Unavailable at Walmart.com

I do see it at Amazon and Lego.com (and i'm sure TRU & FAO due to their pricing).

Death star (still or again) out of stock on Walmart.com.

Not saying its a sign, just recording for posterity. Maybe we can learn from the data.

• 2 weeks later...

S @ ****: OOS,ship in 30 days, limit of 5

interesting timing that TRU and FAO brought their exclusive prices back to retail.

That could help the current remaining stock of 10188 disappear even faster than If they were still 500.

arrrrrrrrrre youuuuuuuuuuu ready to panic buyyyyyyyyyy????????

I was waiting for a gift card deal to get 5 more of these. Maybe do the tru cc and save 15%. Should apply i think. I would like to be at 30 or 35 of these bad boys. Just to say i kinda hung in there with emazers.

You have to call to get it to work on them.

Problem is they are stingy on the beginning credit limit and payments take like 5 days to apply. So chances are you can only buy a couple.

Im still standing by there is no reason to store any of these right now. It will be around for several more years probably. no signs of retirement and no signs of stopping. When it does, it will do well. But not as good as the SSD IMO.

What a great year if this, SSD, VW,GE,HH all went the way of the dodo. I'll tell you what i may take a little vacation if that were the case. The signs on SSD were not there for most people. So far DS has not been gone from everywhere at the same time at retail. What is interesting is how each retailer slowly ran out. I wonder if a last inventory drop came in from LEGO for the star wars event with those now being sold through. They do not want old product to cannibalize new product, that is not good inventory and product management. It does not matter if they still sell. Everything has a life cycle, this one just lasted longer.

What a great year if this, SSD, VW,GE,HH all went the way of the dodo. I'll tell you what i may take a little vacation if that were the case. The signs on SSD were not there for most people. So far DS has not been gone from everywhere at the same time at retail. What is interesting is how each retailer slowly ran out. I wonder if a last inventory drop came in from LEGO for the star wars event with those now being sold through. They do not want old product to cannibalize new product, that is not good inventory and product management. It does not matter if they still sell. Everything has a life cycle, this one just lasted longer.

Didn't something similar happen to DS some time ago in exactly same fashion?

6 years is the longest any SW set has lastest so far, right?  and this is the 6th year of the DS.  it could go longer, but the 6yr mark is historically significant in this case.  until it isn't.  

this old dog might die this december. 

Didn't something similar happen to DS some time ago in exactly same fashion?

Yeah, i started this thread in January of this year when the same thing happened. Its more to track how many times / frequency a set goes out of stock so we can learn if that's part of a 'sign of EOL' or just normal for most big sets. I'm leaning towards the latter, but we shall see.

6 years is the longest any SW set has lastest so far, right?  and this is the 6th year of the DS.  it could go longer, but the 6yr mark is historically significant in this case.  until it isn't.

Six years is the longest running time for any set I can think of. History in the making by an item with the word "death" in its name yet doing everything but that.