What do investors/flippers do with extra cash?

Just curious on a Monday morning what other members on BP do after a selling splurge.  Do you just buy more sets for investing?  Buy yourself or someone new toys/gifts?  Pay down debt somewhere?  More alcohol, entertainment, drugs lol, Or just pad the bank account for a rainy day or the next good buying opportunity?  Combination? 

Sales have been great for me from Nov-current...been on a hot selling streak with this hobby, guess those sets bought within 2 yrs ago have matured enough for decent profit/demand.  Wife is happy the closet is kinda bare now compared to before and I used profits for new TV, tablet, phone, guys Vegas trip...so I have a second wind to start buying more for investing again :)     

May the good times roll in 2015 with more profitable sets/opportunities and overall strong reseller market.

• Like 1

We keep re-investing every week. When you are in a strong growth phase the worst thing you can do is remove profits. Every $1 we keep in now will be worth many multiples of that in the medium term. Obviously when you are piggybacking on another company's success there is always the risk that things can go pear shaped quickly so we always monitor TLG policies and production. So far we see every indication they are being proactive to protect the secondary market which is good news for our projections. If they decide to do away with bans, limits and surprise retirements we will scale back our purchases for this product and maybe even take some profits :)

• Like 2

Reading the Millionaire Next Door and that's one of the #1 secrets of millionaires: minimize tax liability and reinvest in appreciating assets.

Absolutely, it`s a great strategy, I was just referring to the apparently on paper amount, they re-invest as much as possible for maximum growth in the shortest amount of time. Now`s the time to do it, look at the markets. People think you have to turn a profit immediately to run a successful business. Not necessarily true, what good is piles of money in the bank just sitting there, right? Anyway, I`m rambling, same thing for Lego, buy, sell, reinvest asap. 

Wow I wish I had the profit to take a Vegas trip.  I could really use one right now but anyway the smart thing would be to reinvest.  If you really dont need to put the money back into Lego then by all means spend it on entertainment, alcohol and drugs since it seems like its extra money for you.  Or you can do what I do and combine both options just remember once the minifigures start talking to tone it down a bit.

• Like 1

Wow I wish I had the profit to take a Vegas trip.  I could really use one right now but anyway the smart thing would be to reinvest.  If you really dont need to put the money back into Lego then by all means spend it on entertainment, alcohol and drugs since it seems like its extra money for you.  Or you can do what I do and combine both options just remember once the minifigures start talking to tone it down a bit.

They never talked to me, but they seemed to moved from my desk to the floor for unknown reason.

Buy more to reduce tax liability seems like a good option to me.

So becoming a bigger operation or bust ?  More inventory = bigger operation, right ? 

• Like 1

Buy more to reduce tax liability seems like a good option to me.

Just so you know, that won't work.  You can't deduct the cost of an item until you sell the item...otherwise, our tax code would give every business a path to reducing their tax liability to $0 through the acquisition of debt-funded inventory.

• Like 5

Just so you know, that won't work. You can't deduct the cost of an item until you sell the item...otherwise, our tax code would give every business a path to reducing their tax liability to $0 through the acquisition of debt-funded inventory.

My accountant always shakes his head when I come up with stupid idea that won't work. Thanks for saving me from the embarrassment this time :-)

• Like 1