Bricklinking for the thrill of the build - and the lowest price

FattyMatty

16 minutes ago, Phil B said:

I think the question you need to ask yourself is: Is it worth 130GBP to get the BatPod in your collection. If it is, don't bother with the other questions.

As I said I'm on the fence.  £130 is worth it if I was confident that an official Batpod wasn't going to show up in a few years for £150, or if the expensive pieces reappear in another set and drop back down to a few bucks like Exciter1 got his for before they became 'rare'. Hence my initial question, I was just wondering if you veterans had any opinions on what the future holds?

Edited by Manse1001

16 minutes ago, Manse1001 said:

As I said I'm on the fence.  £130 is worth it if I was confident that an official Batpod wasn't going to show up in a few years for £150, or if the expensive pieces reappear in another set and drop back down to a few bucks like Exciter1 got his for before they became 'rare'. Hence my initial question, I was just wondering if you veterans had any opinions on what the future holds?

i don't think the parts will be remade, too obscure

51 minutes ago, Manse1001 said:

After completing my recent build of the the Tumbler (which was awesome) I'm now considering Bricklinking the Batpod to sit beside it.  The cheapest I can get all the parts is approx. £130 in total which includes postage etc.  I was just wondering if anyone has built this model and was it worth it?! I'm on the fence at the moment as firstly it is a lot of expense for a set that only has 311 pieces, and nearly half the cost is for the 6 x Hero Factory shields at £60. I appreciate that to purchase the official version will cost in the region of £1500 so in that respect is a bargain, however I was wondering if....

A.) do you think Lego are likely to official release a version of this set

B.) are the Hero Factory Shields pieces likely to be used in any future sets which inturn will deflate their current value

C.) do you think a bricklink version will be worth anything in the future if the answer to A.) and B.) is NO and the pieces become unobtainable.

Thanks, Andy.

I actually just finished Bricklinking batpod last weekend but I also have the 6 hero factory parts already, bought them some time ago, maybe they weren't $2 each but also not as expensive as they are now. Waiting for rest of parts to arrive now. 

1 hour ago, Manse1001 said:

After completing my recent build of the the Tumbler (which was awesome) I'm now considering Bricklinking the Batpod to sit beside it.  The cheapest I can get all the parts is approx. £130 in total which includes postage etc.  I was just wondering if anyone has built this model and was it worth it?! I'm on the fence at the moment as firstly it is a lot of expense for a set that only has 311 pieces, and nearly half the cost is for the 6 x Hero Factory shields at £60. I appreciate that to purchase the official version will cost in the region of £1500 so in that respect is a bargain, however I was wondering if....

A.) do you think Lego are likely to official release a version of this set

B.) are the Hero Factory Shields pieces likely to be used in any future sets which inturn will deflate their current value

C.) do you think a bricklink version will be worth anything in the future if the answer to A.) and B.) is NO and the pieces become unobtainable.

Thanks, Andy.

A) I doubt it, though you never know we may get a "Bat Pad is Back!" calendar next year. /sarcasm

B.) I doubt it since Bionicle is retiring, Hero Factory is retired and this piece has never been used in non-constructible sets (so you have to hold out hope the Star Wars stuff uses it eventually.... and in Pearl Dark Grey to boot).

C) Yes. Due to the rarity of those parts, it should at least retain it's value.

PS Bricklink says it consists of 338 parts so be careful of your source for the parts lists!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gregpj said:

A) I doubt it, though you never know we may get a "Bat Pad is Back!" calendar next year. /sarcasm

B.) I doubt it since Bionicle is retiring, Hero Factory is retired and this piece has never been used in non-constructible sets (so you have to hold out hope the Star Wars stuff uses it eventually.... and in Pearl Dark Grey to boot).

C) Yes. Due to the rarity of those parts, it should at least retain it's value.

PS Bricklink says it consists of 338 parts so be careful of your source for the parts lists!

Thanks for the response, regards the part list I was just looking at the front of the box which states 311 . . . I have the instructions so I will cross reference. Thanks again.

Unbelievable!!! You could sale them now and make a better ROI then selling a 10188 !! ;o)

I know, I didn't do my research on the scarcity beforehand. I should have bought 200. I just looked at pics of the pieces and thought it didn't look like a common piece, so I threw it in the order.
  • Like 1

These sets are getting harder to find as well, but they each contain three of the required parts for the BATPOD. If you can score two of these for a reasonable price you'll have all 6 of your parts. I bought a whole bunch of them for $12 on clearance right when the BATPOD came out. Not quite .35 cent Bricks and Pieces good, but still fairly reasonable.

Lego Hero Factory Breeze-free machine 44027

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Deadfraggle said:

These sets are getting harder to find as well, but they each contain three of the required parts for the BATPOD. If you can score two of these for a reasonable price you'll have all 6 of your parts. I bought a whole bunch of them for $12 on clearance right when the BATPOD came out. Not quite .35 cent Bricks and Pieces good, but still fairly reasonable.

Lego Hero Factory Breeze-free machine 44027

Yup, I have two of those sets :) 

plus watch out on eBay, the listings for 6 of those parts are for non-Lego. 

Edited by Lordoflego

4 minutes ago, Lordoflego said:

Yup, I have two of those sets :) 

plus watch out on eBay , the listings for 6 of those parts are for non-Lego. 

I found a few Flea Machines later, but those pieces hit the open market quickly after I got them.  I think I sold a couple sets of x 6 for $60 or so.

6 minutes ago, dcdfan said:

Second time, I've started compiling the list of parts for this thing. The second time, I've given up on it. emoji20.png

Lol, I ordered some parts months ago, and the rest just now. Why r u giving up? Because of 4623002 part price?

Edited by Lordoflego

14 minutes ago, Lordoflego said:

Lol, I ordered some parts months ago, and the rest just now. Why r u giving up? Because of 4623002 part price?

Sure, that's part of it but I'm thinking this is gonna cost at least $150 in parts not counting the shipping game on there. It appears to be close to what the parts pack is offered for on BL.

Edited by dcdfan

• 1 month later...
On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 11:22 PM, brickcrazyhouse said:

Found this dragon on LDD.  Turned it green and tan.  Also changed the claws and flames (thanks to gregpj) Took 9 orders(one to our resident frog), 700ish pieces

It's Shenron from Dragon Ball! Well, pretty much any dragon from traditional Asian lore really but still.

Guest brickcrazyhouse

finished building late last night.  Over all very happy with the end result.  with most LDD based designs it needed a few tweeks and it can not support it's own weight. To work around this display issue and to take advantage of it being something that flies, I'm going to hang it from the ceiling (when my back doesn't look like the letter S). 

IMG_0303.JPG

Edited by brickcrazyhouse

• 3 weeks later...
Guest brickcrazyhouse
4 minutes ago, Brickbuilder.g said:

Pretty cool...how much did it cost to BL? How many pieces?

9 orders right over $100 and a little over 700 pcs 

could probably do it again for 80ish 

• 1 month later...
Guest brickcrazyhouse

Was able to get all the parts to this little rickshaw at one shop for about $2.75 with hat (minifigs not included).  oh and there is a second red crowbar somewhere in my couch.

IMG_0392.JPG

Untsdfsfssitled.png

• 2 months later...

So. I started venturing down the path of bricklinking an Imperial Flagship for my son and I. For the most part, it's gone pretty well, until I ran into this bugger:

Support 2x2x11 Solid Pillar - http://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=6168c01&idColor=88#T=S&C=88&O={"color":88}

I checked almost every rare piece price before beginning, but somehow missed this one. In reddish-brown, the lowest price for this is $37 used a piece (or $65 new), and this kit needs 6.

I've never had anything tempt me before, but man, this kind of per-piece pricing makes me want to buy an entire bogus bricks Imperial Flagship kit, just so I can take these 6 posts from it.

Any alternate ideas? I can certainly sub for black, but having the bottom halve's of the masts in black pains me.

• Like 1

I did the same thing two years ago when I bricklinked my flagship. I ended up using black ones. They look fine. I tried stacking like the above suggestion but it did not look as good as the black. 

15 minutes ago, Tgnmonster said:

this kind of per-piece pricing makes me want to buy an entire bogus bricks Imperial Flagship kit, just so I can take these 6 posts from it.

I built the fake IF last year. I wanted to see one of these for myself. The posts are in two pieces, the bottom square has a round nub on it that the tube slides on to. That piece of crap fell apart if I looked at it cross eyed. Paid $60, tried to sell on CL for $30 but no takers. It's in a landfill now. 

• Like 2