Am I Lord Business?

Kids have their Lego, I have mine , and we have a huge bin of random Lego and another small box of minifigures. I have 3 kids too, 8,4,2. I also let them play with mine, but I have to be watching :) and mine are put away when we are done in my closet. Don't play with them every day, just on lego night. Congrats on the coming new edition !

Haha - I think about this all the time, but there's no way around it - just gotta be clear which sets are daddy's and which sets are the kiddos. When I do let my boys play with my sets, I remind them that the rules are different for those. My boys are 8 and 5 and they understand. I also remind myself to not get upset if they do get a little carried away!

Welcome to the site. 

I have a 4 year old and a 2 year old and I've learned to let it go, I constantly remind myself that it is a kids toy and it should be treated as such; however I remind them that it is a $200 kids toy and that it is not something that gets "blowed up".  Whenever they want to play with the modular, I let them, but I have to play with them.  So far they've been fine with the arrangement, but we'll see how it goes as they get older.

Welcome to the site. I don't have kids but our friends bring their kids over to the "Lego House" and I always leave them built sets and loose bricks to play with and occasionally they may touch, or operate, one of my trains.  It works out well as they can still play and I don't have to spend hours wondering what piece this set goes to (it was Fire Brigade)

We have some definite no-touch sets like my UCS Imperial Shuttle, but almost everything the kids are allowed to play with. We encourage them NOT to destroy the modular buildings and other sets because "there are so many play features" but like everyone else, we have a large assortment of non-set bricks we've accumulated or outright ordered from Bricklink that they can do whatever they want with.

The minifigures are the biggest problem as the kids love creating their own. They know that if they remove arms or hands they'll be taken away. But best of all is that every now and then we make the older one help us put them back together properly. They have memories like elephants at that age so he gets about 95% of them right. :)

Welcome.. and you are not alone in your quest to avoid being Lord Business!

I kragle them.... muhahaha

I usually get two sets of everything... one to open and one to have my kids build.

They get the 'beat up' boxed ones. lol

I set my kids up so they know their stash and they know my stash and we all get along. (until mom tells them pick a set out and build it from dad's stash when dad was not home..... lol)

Buy loose legos for the kids off of ebay or garage sales for them.

• Like 1

The minifigures are the biggest problem as the kids love creating their own. They know that if they remove arms or hands they'll be taken away. But best of all is that every now and then we make the older one help us put them back together properly. They have memories like elephants at that age so he gets about 95% of them right. :)

I completely agree my daughter loves to mix up the outfits as she calls it.  I cant believe how she can remember how each minifigure is suppose to look.

I struggle with this one.  Bottom line: if you gave the LEGO set to them, no matter how expensive or exclusive, its theirs.  They can do what they want with it.  I remember we had company coming over and there were several rambunctious kids on their way over.  I knew that if we left the Asylum out it would get destroyed.  I took preventive measures and carried it upstairs.  At least that was the plan.  I ended up dropping it and it exploded into pieces at the bottom of the stairs.  I figured someone upstairs was trying to teach me a lesson. Currently we have a dismantled Exo, Ghostbusters, Batcave and many others scattered somewhere in the brick abyss.  I don't sweat it.  I just let him play.  The Simpsons House needs some cap ex, but its hanging in there.  That was a Christmas present to him, so if he wants to take a wrecking ball to it, that's up to him (he is 4).

I do try to make it very clear which sets aren't for play, such as the Winter Village during Christmas time.  They still play with it and I will find a few random pieces missing here or there.  Its not the end of the world because I know I can always replenish those pieces off Bricklink.

Welcome to Brickpicker and please reach out if you have any questions or need help.

I forgot to mention -

While my boys enjoy their sets (ninjago, China, Star Wars), what they really enjoy the most is the huge bucket of extra bulk minifigures and accessories that I've accumulated over the years. They love mixing up and changing all the figures heads and torsos, giving them different weapons and then setting up their own terrains, buildings, and small vehicles from our bulk pieces.

So really, they usually don't care that they can't play with dads sets anyways!

• Like 2

I struggle with this one.  Bottom line: if you gave the LEGO set to them, no matter how expensive or exclusive, its theirs.  They can do what they want with it.  I remember we had company coming over and there were several rambunctious kids on their way over.  I knew that if we left the Asylum out it would get destroyed.  I took preventive measures and carried it upstairs.  At least that was the plan.  I ended up dropping it and it exploded into pieces at the bottom of the stairs.  I figured someone upstairs was trying to teach me a lesson. Currently we have a dismantled Exo, Ghostbusters, Batcave and many others scattered somewhere in the brick abyss.  I don't sweat it.  I just let him play.  The Simpsons House needs some cap ex, but its hanging in there.  That was a Christmas present to him, so if he wants to take a wrecking ball to it, that's up to him (he is 4).

I do try to make it very clear which sets aren't for play, such as the Winter Village during Christmas time.  They still play with it and I will find a few random pieces missing here or there.  Its not the end of the world because I know I can always replenish those pieces off Bricklink.

Welcome to Brickpicker and please reach out if you have any questions or need help.

This is spot on and absolutely key. Once a set is opened and my kids build it, I just assume total destruction and anything otherwise just becomes upside down the road. If you try to think about resale value of the stuff opened you'll just go crazy. 

And they'll learn. When I bought the Slave I, my son knew this was "dad's set" and would come check the progress, but he never wanted to help build it (even when I asked him if he wanted to do a section). He respects the process. :-)

• Like 1

Welcome! I do what a lot of the others here do. There's dad's Lego and their Lego. They are always allowed to play with mine when I'm there (3 and 4 year old) and they ask.

I don't sweat their sets at all. I bought it for them, they can do what they wish with it as long as the bricks aren't purposefully destroyed. I also have a couple thousand loose bricks for them to do with as they please.