What LEGO set did you build today?

Ed Mack

Tonight I built 4184 The Black Pearl for the first time. It was the cream of a bulk lot I picked up a few months ago and I left it for last. Interesting build, and what an impressive result!

It's a great build especially if it's your first lego ship build (it was for me). I sold the Imperial Flagship before building it :(

Anyway, I built the QAR after the BP and tell you want, I liked the BP better.

Tonight I built 4184 The Black Pearl for the first time. It was the cream of a bulk lot I picked up a few months ago and I left it for last. Interesting build, and what an impressive result!

It's a great build especially if it's your first lego ship build (it was for me). I sold the Imperial Flagship before building it :(

Anyway, I built the QAR after the BP and tell you want, I liked the BP better.

Glad to hear this!  I have a BP sitting in a bulk set, ready for me to pull out and put together.  The only thing I know for sure is missing are the sails.  I really need to BL the sooner rather than later.

I have the Sea Cow to put together, but I'd like to get to the BP before I do it.

After 20+ years of sitting in the loft in ruins, I have rebuilt my 6285 Black Seas Barracuda. I have to say im so impressed with it, its looks fantastic. Oddly enough its much larger than I ever remember it being when I was a kid. One thing I will say is by god the instructions are difficult to read in places. Not exactly step by step that we get nowadays. Thank god for progress:)

8061 - Atlantis Gateway of the Squid

This is the first Atlantis set that I really enjoyed putting together.  It's a decent set, with a lot of "mystery" during the build.  I liked how surprised I was while building it, with trying to figure out how it was going to come together.

This was my last Atlantis set to put together.  So glad to move on to something else now.  Next in the queue - Slave 1

• Like 1

8061 - Atlantis Gateway of the Squid

This is the first Atlantis set that I really enjoyed putting together.  It's a decent set, with a lot of "mystery" during the build.  I liked how surprised I was while building it, with trying to figure out how it was going to come together.

This was my last Atlantis set to put together.  So glad to move on to something else now.  Next in the queue - Slave 1

I really liked Portal of Atlantis, it was a nice and big set. Too bad that line flopped.

As a few of you may remember, I bought a used TB for $130 off eBay a while ago. I completed the build today, and I am thoroughly impressed. I estimated that I spent 9 hours on the build in total. Here are some pictures including a few from unusual angles that most people don't see.

Completed build:

post-5354-0-33312200-1407884038_thumb.jp

Slightly odd for the road to be uneven, but neccessary for the bridge to fold. Problem can be easily fixed by adding a flat plate.

post-5354-0-83692200-1407884103_thumb.jp

Coolest part of the build in my opinion. I really like that the slopes and plates match up so well. 

post-5354-0-17076500-1407884182_thumb.jp

Uniquely printed shield, one for each side. Very nice little display window.

post-5354-0-61916800-1407884253_thumb.jp

Another nice touch to the set: mini cars. It's amazing what you can build with 10-20 little bricks! 

post-5354-0-54551300-1407884324_thumb.jp

It's interesting that Jamie Berard (designer of the TB) decided to change to a different construction of the side columns rather than using the cheese-slopes lined up. Personally, I would have preferred a standardized system across the board.

post-5354-0-66373500-1407884406_thumb.jp

post-5354-0-80182700-1407884805_thumb.jp

Normal construction:

post-5354-0-77557300-1407884500_thumb.jp

Construction of the top layer:

post-5354-0-93400100-1407884569_thumb.jp

Bird's-eye view of the interior of one of the towers:

post-5354-0-41052900-1407885164_thumb.jp

Views of the underside of the blue overpass of the bridge: 

post-5354-0-30586200-1407885249_thumb.jp

post-5354-0-45358600-1407885523_thumb.jp

Underside of the bridge:

post-5354-0-24858700-1407885631_thumb.jp

View of the length of the entire bridge:

post-5354-0-88104500-1407885881_thumb.jp

Interior of one of the towers. I tried to fit my camera lense inside, but it is too big. :( This is the best I could manage:

post-5354-0-50717600-1407885998_thumb.jp

Panels that give the TB the columns for each tower are attached using a basic SNOT technique (Stud ******ot O****** Top):

post-5354-0-36209400-1407886085_thumb.jp

post-5354-0-51970500-1407886187_thumb.jp

In the end, there were only 5 missing pieces that I couldn't fulfill with my own pieces: 3 1x1 tan flat bricks, and two 2x2 tan flat tiles. Not bad. I'll just message the seller to see if he can find them, and if not, free replacement bricks from Lego CS.

• Like 9

A few weeks back I posted that my 7-year old son and I would start building 10240. He did a very good job with the bag; I only had to fix a few things. It's taking longer than expected, but I'm not going to rush it. I think that once he starts to see it begin too look like the model on the box, he'll start doing more than a few steps at one go (in his defense, our bonus room looks like the LEGO store got hit by a small 'quake, so he's always flitting about making MOCs). Any time with the boys is good times...LEGO is just the bonus.

Enjoy!!

As a few of you may remember, I bought a used TB for $130 off eBay a while ago. I completed the build today, and I am thoroughly impressed. I estimated that I spent 9 hours on the build in total. Here are some pictures including a few from unusual angles that most people don't see.

Completed build:

attachicon.gifDSCN1948.JPG

Slightly odd for the road to be uneven, but neccessary for the bridge to fold. Problem can be easily fixed by adding a flat plate.

attachicon.gifDSCN1949.JPG

Coolest part of the build in my opinion. I really like that the slopes and plates match up so well. 

attachicon.gifDSCN1950.JPG

Uniquely printed shield, one for each side. Very nice little display window.

attachicon.gifDSCN1952.JPG

Another nice touch to the set: mini cars. It's amazing what you can build with 10-20 little bricks! 

attachicon.gifDSCN1953.JPG

It's interesting that Jamie Berard (designer of the TB) decided to change to a different construction of the side columns rather than using the cheese-slopes lined up. Personally, I would have preferred a standardized system across the board.

attachicon.gifDSCN1954.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN1962.JPG

Normal construction:

attachicon.gifDSCN1967.JPG

Construction of the top layer:

attachicon.gifDSCN1969.JPG

Bird's-eye view of the interior of one of the towers:

attachicon.gifDSCN1958.JPG

Views of the underside of the blue overpass of the bridge: 

attachicon.gifDSCN1971.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN1961.JPG

Underside of the bridge:

attachicon.gifDSCN1963.JPG

View of the length of the entire bridge:

attachicon.gifDSCN1964.JPG

Interior of one of the towers. I tried to fit my camera lense inside, but it is too big. :( This is the best I could manage:

attachicon.gifDSCN1972.JPG

Panels that give the TB the columns for each tower are attached using a basic SNOT technique (Stud ******ot O****** Top):

attachicon.gifDSCN1965.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN1968.JPG

In the end, there were only 5 missing pieces that I couldn't fulfill with my own pieces: 3 1x1 tan flat bricks, and two 2x2 tan flat tiles. Not bad. I'll just message the seller to see if he can find them, and if not, free replacement bricks from Lego CS.

Great pictures and a great build! 

• Like 1

Started building 10182 - Cafe Corner again.  Such a great set for being the first in its line.  I do wish the interior was more substantial or even existed.  I'm also annoyed in the use a 1x2 bricks on the first floor when 1x4 could have been used.  Was this to bump up the piece count?  I think it would have been less then 2k in count if that was done.

I get to rebuild the Republic Gunship 7676 for the third time this weekend.  While I was golfing yesterday, my 20 month old daughter decided to grab for the backpack beside the gunship my son left on the counter in the kitchen.  Yep, shattered into 100's of pieces on the floor and most of it was in a bowl when I came home last night.

Wheeee!

• Like 1

Today my son of 12 wanted to build some bigger and older Star Wars sets.
He kicked of today with the Imperial Star Destroyer from 2002, set number 10030.
I guess it will take him around 2 days or so.
I started today with the Millenium Falcon from 2007, set number 10179.

Some sets need to be build, it's a shame when they are still sitting in the closet in sealed boxes  :taunt:
  • Like 2

Today my son of 12 wanted to build some bigger and older Star Wars sets.

He kicked of today with the Imperial Star Destroyer from 2002, set number 10030.

I guess it will take him around 2 days or so.

I started today with the Millenium Falcon from 2007, set number 10179.

Some sets need to be build, it's a shame when they are still sitting in the closet in sealed boxes :taunt:

You broke the seals on both on the same day!!! Brave man you are sir. Have fun
  • Like 1

Building a 10937 Batman Arkham.

I'm very disappointed about the quality.I bought it brand new but I have some bricks with scratches, damaged corners , 1 larger plate with a big scratch over length of the plate and with the monitor table of Dr. Quinzel 1 of the monitors is different than the other 3. (1 write Lego on it and has the number while the other 3 hasn't. The 3 parts there grip (??) is diffrent)

Will finish the build to see how many parts I want to get replaced because for a set of this value it's really ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone

Building a 10937 Batman Arkham.

I'm very disappointed about the quality.I bought it brand new but I have some bricks with scratches, damaged corners , 1 larger plate with a big scratch over length of the plate and with the monitor table of Dr. Quinzel 1 of the monitors is different than the other 3. (1 write Lego on it and has the number while the other 3 hasn't. The 3 parts there grip (??) is diffrent)

Will finish the build to see how many parts I want to get replaced because for a set of this value it's really ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone

Hey dude I actually have a good tip for you, if a Lego piece especially clear pieces for cockpits etc that are scratched just use car wax and a rag and it ll get rid of scratches and it ll make your Lego bricks look better then new! So you won't have to spend extra money for unneeded replacement parts