Amazon Warehouse Deals - Worth the Risk?

edgecrusher

Set Name: Big Ben

Set Number: 21013

Release Year: 2012

Retired (Y/******/Maybe): No

Regular Retail Price: $29.99

Current Brickpicker Value (New and Used): $31.21/$21.40

Purchase Price (Discount): $21.73 (27%)

Listed Condition: Used - Like New - Item will come in original packaging. Packaging maybe damaged.

Description of actual condition (maybe some pics too!): Box is in great shape. All seals in tact. this looks like it came straight from a Lego Store.

Worth the Purchase?: Yup. This one is another build and display model on the cheap. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You can return it for full credit .

thats the million dollar question.  its lego set 7094 Kings Castle siege with the dragon.  these are the parts missing I believe

Skeletal shield

black pole + the scythe that attaches to it

dragon's flame

brown bucket thing (maybe arrow quiver?  its a stand alone piece i dont think it attaches to anything)

2 x 3 light grey brick

3 2x1 light grey bricks

long black technic tube that fits 2 cylinder hole connectors with 2 on the other side

2 2x1 brown blocks with the technic hole in the center

1 long grey chain (for the drawbridge)

2x1 black smooth plate with the middle circle connection part(mounting bracket thing)

Kings Golden Sword...

it only cost 141$ would it be worth it to just return or complete it?

just contacted Amazon.com about my warehouse deals missing 16 pieces and I sent them really detailed list and pics of what was missing... they offered me 40% OFF! WOW!?  I feel kinda bad, but will it really cost me that much money to bricklink the missing pieces?  maybe its the kings sword as I havent checked yet...

Set Name: LEGO Technic 42009 Mobile Crane MK II

Set Number: 42009

Release Year: 2013

Retired (Y/******/Maybe): ******

Regular Retail Price: US$ 219

Current Brickpicker Value (New and Used): New US$ 196.57 Used US$ 167.40

Purchase Price (Discount): US$ 180.39 before sales tax. Amazon knocked another $36 off it afterwards as it was missing parts, bringing it down to  US$ 144.39

Listed Condition: "Used - Very Good - Item will come repackaged. All accessories are present and undamaged"

Description of actual condition (maybe some pics too!): Box was banged up and torn around the bottom side, taped all around that area with a sticker that it was inspected by AWD. Bags appeared sealed, checked the number of bags which seemed all right, although there were a few loose unbagged bits, oddly enough.

Worth the Purchase?: 

Significant discount over retail is good for a set I really wanted to build this but couldn't find below US$ 200 shipped. Now as I started putting it together it turned out that two unusual pieces, the very long 32L black axles were missing! I ended up contacting Amazon to see if they could give me any information on the packaging and missing parts.  The rep stated "While we shipped your order, the inventory was provided to us by a seller and I'm not able to send you a replacement."

Sounds like this may have been sold by a 3rd party then returned, maybe FBA? They gave me the option of sending the whole thing back but I didn't want to do that so the rep suggested discounting the order. They ended up knocking US$ 36 off it.

Found the axles on Bricklink, thankfully. Hopefully nothing else is missing, build is stuck at this point waiting for the axles. If nothing else is missing, certainly worth it.

just contacted Amazon.com about my warehouse deals missing 16 pieces and I sent them really detailed list and pics of what was missing... they offered me 40% OFF! WOW!?  I feel kinda bad, but will it really cost me that much money to bricklink the missing pieces?  maybe its the kings sword as I havent checked yet...

I think only the dragon may be expensive to bricklink, but I haven't checked. The kings sword is relatively common. I would definitely keep and bricklink the missing pieces. I almost bricklinked this myself (well, still may), but I ended up with about three incomplete used sets via craigslist, so I must have everything for at least one complete set!

• 2 months later...

Set Name: Cargo Train

Set Number: 60052

Release Year: 2014

Regular Retail Price: $199.99

Current Brickpicker Value (New and Used): $175/$159

Purchase Price (Discount): $131.19

Listed Condition: Used - Very Good - Item has no cosmetic scratches or blemishes. Item has no cracks or dents. Item will come in original packaging. Packaging will be damaged.

Description of actual condition (maybe some pics too!): Box was in great shape, but had been opened.  Contents were all there, but a couple bags had small punctures in them, from the tracks I assume.  I think their description was pretty close here and have decided that if they say the box is damaged that I need to assume it has been opened.

Worth the Purchase?: I thought so initially, but then Amazon UK had a cheaper price for new ones.  I ordered one from there, hoping for one in sealed one in good condition, but received a pretty beat up set.  I got 20% back from customer service and decided to send the AWD one back.  I wanted to invest in one of these, but since I got an additional 20% for a trashed box, we just built it instead.

Set Name: Death Star

Set Number: 10188

Release Year: 2008

Regular Retail Price: $399.99

Current Brickpicker Value (New and Used): $441/$328

Purchase Price (Discount): $327.96

Listed Condition: Used - Very Good - Item has no cosmetic scratches or blemishes. Item has no cracks or dents. Item will come in original packaging. Packaging will be damaged.

Description of actual condition (maybe some pics too!): Box was pretty trashed.  It had been punctured on the front and back, but it wasn't a through and through.  One of the inner boxes had been punctured too.  Tape all over it to cover the holes and reseal it.  I took the tape off holding the flap shut and inspected the contents.  All inner boxes sealed, one with a puncture that matched up to the exterior.  Manual was in decent shape.  I don't think their description of "very good" lined up to what I got

Worth the Purchase?: Yes, initially I was considering sending this back, but it was close to the "used" going rate so I decided to keep it. I got a good discount without having to do any extra work.  This was my first DS, and the old lady thought it was cool and that the kids may want to build it, so it may turn into a builder.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

So does every dented box end up a warehouse deal?  Just curious.  I've been trying to order a Parisian Restaurant from AMZN, ever since Primeday.  The first was stomped on by UPS.  the shipping carton, and the inner box were both dented and creased. - Nothing horrible, but I'm not buying a PR at this early stage in the game and have it be anything less than minty fresh.  So I requested an exchange.  The 2nd one they sent was worse.  This time, nice clean shipping carton, damaged, ripped box inside.  I couldn't believe they did that.  It was clearly someone else's damaged box return, now being sent to me.  So I asked for an exchange. The 3rd one isn't quite as bad, but still thoroughly creased and dented.  Now I'm just asking for a refund.  But was just wondering... will there be 3 PR's showing up on AWD soon?  Or will they just try to pawn them off as new to somebody else?

So does every dented box end up a warehouse deal?  Just curious.  I've been trying to order a Parisian Restaurant from AMZN, ever since Primeday.  The first was stomped on by UPS.  the shipping carton, and the inner box were both dented and creased. - Nothing horrible, but I'm not buying a PR at this early stage in the game and have it be anything less than minty fresh.  So I requested an exchange.  The 2nd one they sent was worse.  This time, nice clean shipping carton, damaged, ripped box inside.  I couldn't believe they did that.  It was clearly someone else's damaged box return, now being sent to me.  So I asked for an exchange. The 3rd one isn't quite as bad, but still thoroughly creased and dented.  Now I'm just asking for a refund.  But was just wondering... will there be 3 PR's showing up on AWD soon?  Or will they just try to pawn them off as new to somebody else?

I've had the same experience with Amazon for the last month.  I received a PS 2 weeks ago that was crushed on the side and has both seals ripped up (or possibly opened by a previous buyer).  The 2 other items in the box (non Lego) were in perfect shape and not crushed and the out box was in fairly good condition so I can only surmise that it left the warehouse in a less than new state.

I think unless the previous buyer specifies that the item was missing parts they'll just send it out as NEW to somebody else.  I have never had this happen with any other items on Amazon, only Lego.  Then again I bought most diapers so I don't think any parent wants "certified pre-owned" diapers :P

I personally don't see the appeal for AWD unless you're in a tax free state.  Sure you save about 10% for a damaged item, but you might as well buy with gift cards from another retailer selling the same thing and come to the same price with possibly less damage.

Edited by colossus

I've received a few items from them with generally positive results. Tumbler in excellent condition, PC with a beat up box but price was decent, 2 Simpson houses, one good other needed to go back as a bag had opened and I couldn't confirm contents, TB with a very beat up box but excellent price. Now I'm waiting on a Slave 1

I've gotten at least one TB with some minor damage to the box, but nothing bad.  I had a HE with a hole in the box, but otherwise, it was fine.  Also got a MF that was a bit beat up, but again, it was fine (and sold at the same price as everyone else's).

I've gotten a Dolphin Cruiser, Arkham Asylum and a couple of other items that went into my personal build pile because I didn't care about box condition, and I could verify the contents.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Even the sun shines on a dog's butt some days....picked up a Very Good Town Hall out of the Warehouse for $236.  Not sure how they calculated their price for this, I think it may have been an FBA item from the stickers on it, but it made it an easy decision to buy.  The box was rough, but I was only hoping for sealed bags.  They were all included and sealed.

• Like 4

so the "used" designation for AWD items is basically just a way of saying the boxes are beat to hell? I've been confused as to whether or not the bags inside of these boxes would ever be open or not.

Yes, pretty much.  I've been lucky and have not received a set that was missing bags and only had one that had a bag opened, but that probably happened in transit as it was a minor rip.  It's a good idea to check the contents of AWD purchases.  Most of the sets I've bought have been opened and then taped up by AWD.  You can return items, so they make an excellent choice to build if you don't want to chase down other discounts.

• Like 1

I've bought a few AWD deals in the past.  If you're buying for your own use and don't need a set that is absolute mint, they're absolutely worth the risk because there really is no risk given that you're buying from Amazon.  If you're buying to resell, it's a crap shoot.  I've had some sets come in good shape and others in not so good shape.  I won't be buying anything from AWD for resale anymore.

Even the sun shines on a dog's butt some days....picked up a Very Good Town Hall out of the Warehouse for $236.  Not sure how they calculated their price for this, I think it may have been an FBA item from the stickers on it, but it made it an easy decision to buy.  The box was rough, but I was only hoping for sealed bags.  They were all included and sealed.

I'm dying. When did that show up? Good pull, and I would have happily picked that up at that price. Always wanted one to build and I refuse to open my minty fresh ones.