Hi there, Duck here

Hey all, I joined the site Dec. 27, 2014. Glad to be here.

I lurked around for a bit before deciding to introduce myself. I'm a 25 (26 in Jan) Y/O newlywed from a small town in KY. I've never been into Lego actually, my parents never got them for me as toys and i never thought about them. My new wife's best friend's husband (fathers brothers nephews cousins former roommate) is a big child, which is not bad. He has more toys than most grown adults, but the kicker is he gets them to play with. His Legos are all opened, and not assembled, but that's neither here nor there. Point is i started to wonder how much he had spent on them, and that led me to wondering how much they would be worth if he had never opened them. One thing led to another and after researching a bit i found that Lego could very well be a profitable endeavor, which leads me to this site. back story over.

Now what i am doing here...I have no interest in collecting Lego but the value of them is something that interests me greatly. i have actually done a bit of resale in the past and it is a hobby i enjoyed. My basic plan for now is to set a budget of about $50.00 a month starting Jan 2015 for investing in these wonderful little blocks. Every quarter i will have an 80.00$+ any left over from the previous months to invest in a bigger (more expensive) set. I feel like doing this should definitely show me some profit in the coming years. 

It would help me greatly to get the opinions and insight of a pro, or at least someone more pro than me. As a beginner I am more than grateful to have found such a clean website and community. You all seem to support and look after each other and I look forward to all the advice i can get. That being said I would love to make some new friends interested in this, so feel free to talk to me. Thank you ALL for reading, and i guess to kick things off, what does everyone feel like a good investment set would be in Jan 2015?? 

:)

• Like 1

Welcome to the site. As a fellow relatively new member, I've learned from the wisdom of the group, and would definitely advise a lot of lurking before actual purchasing. Based on your intro, buying $50 a month worth of sets won't return the short term gains you would like unless you're extremely lucky. Definitely start saving that money, but don't deploy it unless a "sure thing" comes along. Quick flipping is tough business, and margins are often slim. Fees are high on eBay (13-20% depending whether you pay for shipping and have cheap shipping materials), and selling through other avenues may take longer or have fewer customers. You also missed the prime holiday sellling season, which is unfortunate. Make sure to do your research before buying sets; look up the all time lowest prices and try to make sure you won't be undercut on pricing. Look on Bricklink or other sites for the minifig values and see what a worst care scenario part out might return. Stalk Craigslist for bulk lots on the cheap and try to put together used sets. You can lick into short term success here, but as an admitted newbie like myself a few short months ago, I would definitely advise a "measure twice , cut once approach". Good luck!

• Like 2

Welcome to the site. As a fellow relatively new member, I've learned from the wisdom of the group, and would definitely advise a lot of lurking before actual purchasing. Based on your intro, buying $50 a month worth of sets won't return the short term gains you would like unless you're extremely lucky. Definitely start saving that money, but don't deploy it unless a "sure thing" comes along. Quick flipping is tough business, and margins are often slim. Fees are high on eBay (13-20% depending whether you pay for shipping and have cheap shipping materials), and selling through other avenues may take longer or have fewer customers. You also missed the prime holiday sellling season, which is unfortunate. Make sure to do your research before buying sets; look up the all time lowest prices and try to make sure you won't be undercut on pricing. Look on Bricklink or other sites for the minifig values and see what a worst care scenario part out might return. Stalk Craigslist for bulk lots on the cheap and try to put together used sets. You can lick into short term success here, but as an admitted newbie like myself a few short months ago, I would definitely advise a "measure twice , cut once approach". Good luck!

Ah yes, when i mentioned i had 30-50$ a mo. to invest, i didn't mean id be SPENDING that much on a monthly basis, but more of putting it into a sort of "fund". im sure there will be plenty of dead months where that will build up. i definitely plan on lurking (as well as participating) until i can find some sure things. Ebay i have had experience selling on and it is a nightmare. the way i look at missing the prime holiday selling season is that gives me an entire fresh year to "stock up". If at all possible shoot me a PM as there are a few questions i would like to run by you.

I would definitely advise a "measure twice , cut once approach". Good luck!

Yes. And also a warning: don't get excited every time someone, or even multiple people get excited in this forum about one or the other really great deal nobody should miss. Yes, they may be, for them. Or they might not, or not for you. Don't let others do your homework for you. If you see great excitement, especially in the daily deals thread, it is not immediate time to buy - it is time for homework. You will miss deals that way. But you will also pass on many non-deals, which is more important.

• Like 1

and i guess to kick things off, what does everyone feel like a good investment set would be in Jan 2015?? 

:)

Hello and welcome. The question you pose is a question that each should decide on their own. Please read alot about the different sets here in this forum, their strong points, weak points and similar set performance in the past. Then you will be able to answer that question yourself.

The only tip I give you at this moment is to focuss more on the larger sets, exclusives.

I am sceptic about people that have no real interest in LEGO being good investors, but then again, there are some examples here (like hxckid88) that did and do pretty well.

A piece of advice, do not buy everything in clearance. A set costing 50$ marked down 50% doesn't mean it is pers

• Like 1

Yes. And also a warning: don't get excited every time someone, or even multiple people get excited in this forum about one or the other really great deal nobody should miss. Yes, they may be, for them. Or they might not, or not for you. Don't let others do your homework for you. If you see great excitement, especially in the daily deals thread, it is not immediate time to buy - it is time for homework. You will miss deals that way. But you will also pass on many non-deals, which is more important.

definitely! great advice for any investment. i would rather buy one good stock and miss ten than buy eleven bad stocks. Thank you for sharing! 

Hello and welcome. The question you pose is a question that each should decide on their own. Please read alot about the different sets here in this forum, their strong points, weak points and similar set performance in the past. Then you will be able to answer that question yourself.

The only tip I give you at this moment is to focuss more on the larger sets, exclusives.

I am sceptic about people that have no real interest in LEGO being good investors, but then again, there are some examples here (like hxckid88) that did and do pretty well.

A piece of advice, do not buy everything in clearance. A set costing 50$ marked down 50% doesn't mean it is pers

Welcome to the site.

You pose an interesting question: Can one make sufficient return by only spending $600 a year?  I don't know the answer to that but you seem like a prime candidate to be an 'F5'er to spend your $600 to maximize return.

Good luck on your hunts!

Challenge accepted! lol, seriously though, the ~$600 is only what I am willing to lose on my first year. If i do in fact make a profit, that estimated amount could definitely change. its more of a starting point really.