Selling individual sets vs. bundles?

I've been hoarding Lego sets for a little over a year now, but have only attempted about 10 sales on Ebay or Bricklink. As I start to offer more listings online, I'd like to solicit opinion/advice on selling sets as bundles. Without revealing any of your trade secrets, I'm curious to hear from some of the experienced sellers out here.

As an example, let's say I've got 4-5 retired Star Wars sets, do you think its wise to sell these as individuals or as a collection?

I would imagine you've got to consider these factors: Affordability for the buyer, top dollar for the seller, shipping and handling issues, buyer demand, listing fees, and volume sales.

What about a cheaper item like poly-bags or minifigures? Do buyers tend to prefer to sell these individually, or a set of related products?

My experience and perspective as buyer is this:  

For used sets, for my personal builds collection, I really like a bundled collection of related sets. It's a way to acquire several sets from a theme, and it often works out cheaper for me in the long-run. For new sets, I tend to shy away from bundled collections, as they often have a lot of "sticker price" shock, and buyers are more likely to set reserve prices or list the items under a fixed auction price.

I would love to hear from anyone on their perspective as a seller or buyer on this issue.

Thanks. Happy Holidays.

Chris

I usually bundle when I want to move slow selling sets. I usually combine them with a hot item and off they go .

Also with some themes (City and Friends for ex), bundling just comes naturally. 

one last take, some folks bundle an entire line (modulars) but those listing tend to sit longer on the market since they target a small segment of buyers.

• Like 1

I usually bundle when I want to move slow selling sets. I usually combine them with a hot item and off they go .

Also with some themes (City and Friends for ex), bundling just comes naturally. 

one last take, some folks bundle an entire line (modulars) but those listing tend to sit longer on the market since they target a small segment of buyers.

I've seen the type of modular theme listings you're talking about. I think you price yourself out of the market it you're creating a Lego auction with a value of multiple thousands. Not many people can afford to spend that kind of money at once on a Lego auction, although they might by the modulars one or two at a time over the course of a year.

• 2 weeks later...

bundling can make sense for small sets that go together well, say sets 2-3 under $20, or series sets like mixels or microfighters.  it will reduce time and shipping expenses.  but very rarely will you ever make more money with a bundle.  no one will ever buy a bundle expecting to pay full value for everything.  

but also as has been stated its a good way to get rid of excess inventory, or to throw in some extra value on something that is a hot seller but common.