76035 - Jokerland

jaisonline

6 hours ago, Roy vd M. said:

"Als displayset scoort deze wat minder, net om de reden waarom het zo een goede displayset is." -> "(...) zo een goede speelset is." I think you mean?

Nice review. 

Thanks for feedback, I corrected it.

6 hours ago, jaisonline said:

Not sure if this set  is selling much even at a discounted price of $96... Although Amazon did increase the price again.

It's funny because I had the same sentiment that this set is not selling how it should. People might have gotten tired of buying Super Heroes

2 hours ago, Neosphinx said:

It's funny because I had the same sentiment that this set is not selling how it should. People might have gotten tired of buying Super Heroes

This is the only LEGO exclusive we had regularly discounted in the US since the 10227 B-Wing.  Not a single exclusive has been discounted online since late 2014 unless count -5 cents and gift card included sales. Kinda sad.

Some stores may not carry it, but it's been available online at most retailers and I don't think it was ever labeled as an exclusive.  I know I have seen it in TRU stores since it came out and Walmart and Meijer around here carry it.

Edited by zskid00
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

I don't want to poop on anyone's parade, but the DC COMICS and Marvel Super Heroes themes both took a major crap last year in the theme CAGR.  This set looks cool and like a winner, but the two themes are going south and fast....

I love some sets and characters but don't invest / try to sell any as the fakes are so rampant with this (and other) lines.  Otherwise, it's a nice set imo.

CAGR aside I've made decent money at the right buy in price and with the right sets.  As an overall theme Super Heroes may not have performed well, but the flipside of saying you can make better money elsewhere is that you can also make the wrong choice and make less money elsewhere.  There are winners and losers in every theme.

Not to get too far off topic but I also question the accuracy of the Brickfolio values being used to calculate CAGR.  I've found many anomalies using these prices in the past after looking at all of the variables that aren't accounted for with eBay sales.  Though I also understand that it would take a lot more work to get a more accurate secondary market value for these sets/themes.  Personally I don't use the Brickfolio values and mine has not been updated in over a year.

Edited by zskid00
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, jaisonline said:

It was an the beginning, right?  Lego.com had it tagged as "exclusive".

I never saw it in a store (mom and pop included) until this past weekend.  We were shopping in a target.

The only DC exclusives since the super heroes reboot have been Arkham Asylum, Tumbler and now the new 1960s Batcave. I don't believe there will be another DC exclusive until the 1960's Batcave retires.

9 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

I don't want to poop on anyone's parade, but the DC COMICS and Marvel Super Heroes themes both took a major crap last year in the theme CAGR.  This set looks cool and like a winner, but the two themes are going south and fast....

There is a new Super Hero in town:

sd.jpg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Should I return my Tumblers?

• Like 1

CAGR aside I've made decent money at the right buy in price and with the right sets.  As an overall theme Super Heroes may not have performed well, but the flipside of saying you can make better money elsewhere is that you can also make the wrong choice and make less money elsewhere.  There are winners and losers in every theme.

Not to get too far off topic but I also question the accuracy of the Brickfolio values being used to calculate CAGR.  I've found many anomalies using these prices in the past after looking at all of the variables that aren't accounted for with eBay sales.  Though I also understand that it would take a lot more work to get a more accurate secondary market value for these sets/themes.  Personally I don't use the Brickfolio values and mine has not been updated in over a year.

It's not a perfect science, but those anomalies are spread though out each theme, so it gives you a basic idea what themes are hot and which are not. They are Super Poopers, not Heroes..

• Like 1

Return your Tumblers? Crazy-ness. I like the Jokerland Idea, My son and I started building a amusement park with a batman area we have used;

the Ferris Wheel, Fairgrounds Mixer, Jokerland, and made super hero bumper cars with the poly bags. I hope Lego keeps the amusement park sets coming. 

We are hoping for a remake on the carousel.   

Edited by Deanfjr
  • Like 2

Should I return my Tumblers?

I loved the Tumbler. Now, not so much as an investment. All this extra time being marked as "Retiring Soon" and a ample supply available to purchase by resellers for weeks has put a damper on my expectations. How many of those thousands of sets sold on Target and Amazon over the past week went to end users.?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

It's not a perfect science, but those anomalies are spread though out each theme, so it gives you a basic idea what themes are hot and which are not. They are Super Poopers, not Heroes..

Perhaps, but CAGR by theme doesn't help me much as an investor.  Unless you are buying everything from whatever theme you decide to invest in, which I doubt many people are doing, then you need to do more research on a set by set basis.  Not to mention the external pressure put on secondary prices by all of the bootleg minifigures coming out of China that have probably hurt Super Heroes more than any other theme.  

Edited by zskid00
  • Like 2

Perhaps, but CAGR by theme doesn't help me much as an investor.  Unless you are buying everything from whatever theme you decide to invest in, which I doubt many people are doing, then you need to do more research on a set by set basis.  Not to mention the external pressure put on secondary prices by all of the bootleg minifigures coming out of China that have probably hurt Super Heroes more than any other theme.  

To each his own. It shows trends and the trend for the Super Heroes sets are down. There are exceptions of course, but it is just one tool of many to help educated buyers pick the right sets.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Deanfjr said:

I like the Jokerland Idea, My son and I started building a amusement park with a batman area we have used;

the Ferris Wheel, Fairgrounds Mixer, Jokerland, and made super hero bumper cars with the poly bags. I hope Lego keeps the amusement park sets coming. 

We are hoping for a remake on the carousel.   

Seems fairly appropriate to me as both a builder and an investor...

Unless something really weird happens with production, I can't see putting my money here above half price given the situation with AA, FM, SH fakes, and Bat-saturation in general.

I do still like the Tumbler but am growing more curious and doubtful about how long until it hits $500. 

P.S. When did the Batmobile become the helicopter of the DC line?

32 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

been that way for a while with a few rare exceptions.  when themes need to rely heavily on minifigures (to get buyers) that get refreshed every 12 to 24 months, it's great for kids and fans but bad for investors.  when it comes to DC and Marvel superhero minifigures, lego is the modern kenner, hasbro, toybiz  and playmates.  heck, lego is even on their 7th batmobile (including both non-UCS Tumblers).  that's 5 batmobiles since 2012. totally insane.  i can't even count how many diff batman versions since 2012.  i bet camo-batman (llooking at you hasbro / kenner) is being planned as you read this.

honestly, i can't remember the last time reading a superhero post (other than Hulkbuster topic) where multiple said, hey, i bought this set because of the cool vehicle or play-set it comes with.  this is what makes exclusives like the UCS Tumbler special.  it seems the majority of AFOLs and fans bought that set for the vehicle.  the 2 minifigures were like dessert.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

I loved the Tumbler. Now, not so much as an investment. All this extra time being marked as "Retiring Soon" and a ample supply available to purchase by resellers for weeks has put a damper on my expectations. How many of those thousands of sets sold on Target and Amazon over the past week went to end users.?

The entire production run of the Tumbler has been an enigma from the word go. Possibly an anomaly, but definitely something to pay attention to in the grand perspective... at least for me.

Eh, on topic I'll add that I think Jokerland would probably do much better with half the minifigs and no batmobile... oh wait, they did that a couple years ago (Funhouse Escape). If it can't shine on it's own, they shouldn't have made it. Yeah I know, that's an issue with too many other sets (especially Super Heroes!) also.

10 minutes ago, Grynn said:

The entire production run of the Tumbler has been an enigma from the word go. Possibly an anomaly, but definitely something to pay attention to in the grand perspective... at least for me.

Eh, on topic I'll add that I think Jokerland would probably do much better with half the minifigs and no batmobile... oh wait, they did that a couple years ago (Funhouse Escape). If it can't shine on it's own, they shouldn't have made it. Yeah I know, that's an issue with too many other sets (especially Super Heroes!) also.

There is no doubt that these sets have been disappointing, but there still has been some money to be made. Batcaves purchased at discount, Two-Face Chase did REALLY well, and the Funhouse is starting to show 50% returns if you bought it cheap enough. 

Assuming this one does not sit around too long, with too many produced, I can see it showing decent returns. I am not completely aware of the uniqueness of parts included in the set but it seems unique at a glance and is something i'd consider at 40-50% off.