10664 - Creative Tower

This is my only real holiday flip.  I love this set.  I think the current $70 - 75 range on ebay is about the ceiling on these.  Sure things could go up in the next couple weeks... or maybe not.  But I'm not holding mine, hoping they'll be worth something in January.  I compare it to the 650 pc box 6177 (been in production for years)... that one was $23 for quite a while on Amazon, until they ran out. I think that box could be available at $23 again in January.  And if that's the case, it will keep a lid on the value of the Creative Tower.

6177 has gone to sold out status and is also likely on its way to EOL  6177 will also be a money maker along with the creative bucket 10662 which is also sold out and probably going to EOL .

blue and pink brick buckets have been phenomenal performers for me $30 in brick buckets selling for $140-150.

this set will be just like them.  the ultimate brick bucket.

before walmart sold these the price was $89+ shipping extra on ebay.

this is the only time this set has ever been sold in the US at a retailer and its going to retire sooner than later.

i am holding these for now because the market is saturated with sellers and wait for the price to get back to $90 though i'm sure its a great flip because even at msrp its still a great deal.

its not like in January it still won't be 1.8 cent per brick buy in.  

• Like 1

6177 has gone to sold out status and is also likely on its way to EOL  6177 will also be a money maker along with the creative bucket 10662 which is also sold out and probably going to EOL .

blue and pink brick buckets have been phenomenal performers for me $30 in brick buckets selling for $140-150.

this set will be just like them.  the ultimate brick bucket.

before walmart sold these the price was $89+ shipping extra on ebay.

this is the only time this set has ever been sold in the US at a retailer and its going to retire sooner than later.

i am holding these for now because the market is saturated with sellers and wait for the price to get back to $90 though i'm sure its a great flip because even at msrp its still a great deal.

its not like in January it still won't be 1.8 cent per brick buy in.  

I wish I had grabbed more - they are pretty cool in person and I like stacking them. I think holding until all the quick flippers is my game plan. Plus, unlike other sets, it isn't like I can really reload on these easily by scouring around for deals.

Plus I have to keep at least a couple for myself!

To this date I'm still kicking myself for not grabbing more 4626 for $7.50 each (got a single one) and those are going for 10 times of that now. Which exclusive has that kind of ROI these days? I guess some people just don't like sets but the plain bricks for their own creation but if plain bricks are all you want why not just by the current ones for cheap? Never figured out the brick box mystery and I start to think it is because of the box/bucket. Or uninformed buyers just don't know what they are paying for.  

Edited by allen9917

This is my only real holiday flip.  I love this set.  I think the current $70 - 75 range on ebay is about the ceiling on these.  Sure things could go up in the next couple weeks... or maybe not.  But I'm not holding mine, hoping they'll be worth something in January.  I compare it to the 650 pc box 6177 (been in production for years)... that one was $23 for quite a while on Amazon, until they ran out. I think that box could be available at $23 again in January.  And if that's the case, it will keep a lid on the value of the Creative Tower.

$70-$75 might be the ceiling on these for a few weeks while everyone who is thinking like you tries to flip them out, but, long term, that's more of the floor than the ceiling.  If you want an apt comparison, 6177 isn't the right set to be looking at.  The 5512 XXL box that was Walmart's Black Friday treat 3 years ago is a much better comparison: http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-5512-XXL-Brick-Box/dp/B006DXP918/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1417825454&sr=8-2&keywords=lego+xxl

• Like 2

I still have this listed on ebay but the more I think about it I think this has long term potential too. Earlier this week somebody posted that this might just be a one off set and I am inclined to believe that. At the end of the day this set is less than two cents a brick. It reminds me of 6166's poential.

$70-$75 might be the ceiling on these for a few weeks while everyone who is thinking like you tries to flip them out, but, long term, that's more of the floor than the ceiling.  If you want an apt comparison, 6177 isn't the right set to be looking at.  The 5512 XXL box that was Walmart's Black Friday treat 3 years ago is a much better comparison: http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-5512-XXL-Brick-Box/dp/B006DXP918/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1417825454&sr=8-2&keywords=lego+xxl

So your saying I should buy up all the $70 BIN on ebay? If i had the storage room I just might. I'm in for 20 sets $32.50 avg got 10 first wave 10 2nd wave. I am holding tight and believe these have huge potential even after Xmas. For now my son has an awesome time stacking the 20 sets into different forts :) win win

So your saying I should buy up all the $70 BIN on ebay? If i had the storage room I just might. I'm in for 20 sets $32.50 avg got 10 first wave 10 2nd wave. I am holding tight and believe these have huge potential even after Xmas. For now my son has an awesome time stacking the 20 sets into different forts :) win win

If you're ok tying up your money for 2-3 years, it's not a bad bet even at $70.  These boxes of basic bricks don't have the sex appeal of HH, AA, GE, or TH, but, for some reason, they perform like nobody's business on the secondary market.

I bought these towers two at a time until stock ran out this week. I haven't really decided to flip or hold, but if they all ship from Wal-Mart I'll have over 50 sets. As a parent I can tell you that the price per brick is a huge draw. A lot of kids don't even really want sets, they just want something to build with. I also stocked up of 10681 from Fred Meyers when they had them for $14 each. Between the two I have 75 basic brick sets and if they ever come back into stock, I'm going for more. I wish could get my hands on hundreds of towers...

• Like 1

If you're ok tying up your money for 2-3 years, it's not a bad bet even at $70. These boxes of basic bricks don't have the sex appeal of HH, AA, GE, or TH, but, for some reason, they perform like nobody's business on the secondary market.

I think it's simplicity. There is a whole underground LEGO movement away from licensed sets. There are some parents who love LEGO bricks, but don't like the licensed sets with fancy pieces that they consider a waste. There is a need and desire for these basic sets and I really should have bought more.
  • Like 1

I think it's simplicity. There is a whole underground LEGO movement away from licensed sets. There are some parents who love LEGO bricks, but don't like the licensed sets with fancy pieces that they consider a waste. There is a need and desire for these basic sets and I really should have bought more.

I have a friend with a 7 year old. He was asking me about Lego deals over BF. I offered up a bunch of different deals, but the only one he was interested in was this set. He said his son just likes building and rebuilding, and doesn't want any instructions.

There is a really nice variety in these sets as well. I grew up on basic pieces. When the Space them launched, I was in Seventh Heaven because of a few translucent pieces, round pieces, radar dishes, computer control pieces and some new styled hinges. All very basic though. I made tons of creations with basic parts. Same applies here. The kids are forced to use their imagination to make something.

• Like 1

It amazes me that these tubs of bricks appreciate in value when they are essentially interchangeable with other tubs of bricks but we have seen it before. These sets do go up in value. I set my price fairly high for mine but if they don't sell its ok. I'll hold them awhile.

• Like 1

For those of you holding long term, what growth potential in terms of price would be the target?

Walmart had a similar box in 2011. http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=5512-1

http://camelcamelcamel.com/LEGO-5512-XXL-Brick-Box/product/B006DXP918

3x w/in a year is a reasonable target.

And, yes while the boxes appear to be interchangeable, they often do have different pieces.  Parents will often buy different versions at the same time for more variety.

Edited by SpaceFan9

Walmart had a similar box in 2011. http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=5512-1

http://camelcamelcamel.com/LEGO-5512-XXL-Brick-Box/product/B006DXP918

3x w/in a year is a reasonable target....

3x what? ...3x MSRP $30?, MSRP $50 or $55?... I don't know.  Granted, I'm a newbie at this.  But I look at that chart for the 5211 brick box and I see about 2 or 3 sold per month over the last ten months.  That's a very thin market to extrapolate the value of the CT on (... hey, am I the first to abbreviate "Creative Tower"?).  I still say - as a parent - if I'm thinking about buying the CT in 2015, and it's EOL and sellers are asking $80 or more for it, I'm going to pick up two 6177 boxes on sale at $25 each instead, and say, "Hey... that's 1300 bricks... close enough."  And if the 6177 also goes EOL, I'm guessing there'll soon be another $.04 or $.05 PPB box or bucket  to take it's place.

I bought 6 of these, and wish I had bought a semi-trailer full.  I'm selling 5 and giving 1 to my son.  FWIW, mine have been near the low BuyItNow price on ebay and are going fast at about $65 each + shipping (surprising... shipping has ranged from $7 to $18 depending on destination).  Could I make more if I waited? Probably.  But a lot more? I don't know.  My objective was to get these and sell them quick. I met my objective and am clearing about 50% net on each one. I'm happy with that.

3x what? ...3x MSRP $30?, MSRP $50 or $55?... I don't know.  Granted, I'm a newbie at this.  But I look at that chart for the 5211 brick box and I see about 2 or 3 sold per month over the last ten months.  That's a very thin market to extrapolate the value of the CT on (... hey, am I the first to abbreviate "Creative Tower"?).  I still say - as a parent - if I'm thinking about buying the CT in 2015, and it's EOL and sellers are asking $80 or more for it, I'm going to pick up two 6177 boxes on sale at $25 each instead, and say, "Hey... that's 1300 bricks... close enough."  And if the 6177 also goes EOL, I'm guessing there'll soon be another $.04 or $.05 PPB box or bucket  to take it's place.

I bought 6 of these, and wish I had bought a semi-trailer full.  I'm selling 5 and giving 1 to my son.  FWIW, mine have been near the low BuyItNow price on ebay and are going fast at about $65 each + shipping (surprising... shipping has ranged from $7 to $18 depending on destination).  Could I make more if I waited? Probably.  But a lot more? I don't know.  My objective was to get these and sell them quick. I met my objective and am clearing about 50% net on each one. I'm happy with that.

Excellent, I ordered 8, wanted to quick flip them and 6 have come in and gone out almost same day at $72 each.  Not a lot of $ but percentage profit wise I wish I got a semi trailer of them too.

• Like 1