Canadian Shipping Questions

pnave

I am new to selling lego from Canada and was wonder how other Canadian Brickpickers do it.

For things like polybags i'm using the bubble wrap envelopes and canada post. It's larger items that I worry about.

Who do you use to ship larger items?

How do you package the product?

Where do you source the boxes?

Thanks for any and all help.

I am new to selling lego from Canada and was wonder how other Canadian Brickpickers do it.

For things like polybags i'm using the bubble wrap envelopes and canada post. It's larger items that I worry about.

Who do you use to ship larger items?

How do you package the product?

Where do you source the boxes?

Thanks for any and all help.

I use the bubble wrap envelopes for polys as well... You'll get some cashiers at Canada Post who don't want to let it go through though so be careful. It's $12 to send a bubble mailer as a parcel.

I've shipped quite a few larger items now and this is what I do...

I keep all the boxes, paper, bubbles and air packets from my purchases, some day I'll run out but it's served me well so far.  If you're trying to source boxes, try Indigo or TRU. They just recycle them anyways. I've bought giant boxes of bubble wrap from UHaul as well for pretty cheap. For a couple overseas sales where I was shipping about 12kg (well, 4 x 2.93kg) of heavy sets in a lot, I've purchased really strong boxes from UHaul as well.

For packing, first make sure the box isn't a piece of garbage. Heavy sets need good boxes. I always try to ship my sets flat since most cardboard boxes are built that way for strength - some exceptions of course, be cognizant of the flute direction and you're good to go.. It also puts lets outward pressure on the set itself as it bounces around on the delivery trucks. I make sure the box is always a little larger width/length to prevent edge crush. Height doesn't matter as much if you have a good box!

I wrap the set in brown paper or foam paper (I have a box full of 4' x 3' sheets I had left from a home reno). I then fill the voids with packing paper or air packets. Don't fill them too tight, just enough so the box doesn't jiggle. If the box is too tall, throw some paper, bubbles or air packets on top. If it's a box I'm reusing and worried about the side strength, I'll often sacrifice another box to double up the cardboard around the outside edge to get double the strength.

Don't be cheap on the tape to seal it up. Tape is cheap. ;)  I tend to over pack even the smallest sets... not worth the risk. It's not magic, just don't do what TRU, Sears, and Walmart often do (slap a label on the box, or put it into a box three times the size with 2 air packets) and you're good to go.

• Like 1

Oh and who? Maybe someone else knows better but I've never seen anyone quote cheaper than Canada Post. Lately I've only been using Canada Post Expedited Parcel (1-7 days) over Regular Parcel (3-9 days) as printing the label through ebay/paypal is a buck or two cheaper for expedited which is also trackable.

• Like 1

Oh and who? Maybe someone else knows better but I've never seen anyone quote cheaper than Canada Post. Lately I've only been using Canada Post Expedited Parcel (1-7 days) over Regular Parcel (3-9 days) as printing the label through ebay/paypal is a buck or two cheaper for expedited which is also trackable.

I have only used Canada post with no issues. Expedited is the way to go through ebay for sure. If you are shipping a product that wasn't sold through ebay, you need to sign up for a business account with Canada post to have expedited as an option. Also I have heard, but no personal experience, that fed ex is cheaper but takes longer. Might be worth looking into.

I use the bubble wrap envelopes for polys as well... You'll get some cashiers at Canada Post who don't want to let it go through though so be careful. It's $12 to send a bubble mailer as a parcel.

I've shipped quite a few larger items now and this is what I do...

I keep all the boxes, paper, bubbles and air packets from my purchases, some day I'll run out but it's served me well so far. If you're trying to source boxes, try Indigo or TRU. They just recycle them anyways. I've bought giant boxes of bubble wrap from UHaul as well for pretty cheap. For a couple overseas sales where I was shipping about 12kg (well, 4 x 2.93kg) of heavy sets in a lot, I've purchased really strong boxes from UHaul as well.

For packing, first make sure the box isn't a piece of garbage. Heavy sets need good boxes. I always try to ship my sets flat since most cardboard boxes are built that way for strength - some exceptions of course, be cognizant of the flute direction and you're good to go.. It also puts lets outward pressure on the set itself as it bounces around on the delivery trucks. I make sure the box is always a little larger width/length to prevent edge crush. Height doesn't matter as much if you have a good box!

I wrap the set in brown paper or foam paper (I have a box full of 4' x 3' sheets I had left from a home reno). I then fill the voids with packing paper or air packets. Don't fill them too tight, just enough so the box doesn't jiggle. If the box is too tall, throw some paper, bubbles or air packets on top. If it's a box I'm reusing and worried about the side strength, I'll often sacrifice another box to double up the cardboard around the outside edge to get double the strength.

Don't be cheap on the tape to seal it up. Tape is cheap. ;) I tend to over pack even the smallest sets... not worth the risk. It's not magic, just don't do what TRU, Sears, and Walmart often do (slap a label on the box, or put it into a box three times the size with 2 air packets) and you're good to go.

This is great advice.

A simple rule to follow is to "under promise and over deliver". I've received good feedback because of this.

Edited by speedsausage

Ship using PayPal shipping via Canada Post - there is a modest discount still.

You can also join the Canada Post Venture One programme free of charge, for the same discounts + it will allow you to use features & add-ons (like signature verifications) that aren't always available on some of the options presented through PayPal (like shipping item values over $1000.oo).  The VIP programme will also give you access to receive free materials delivered right to your door - labels, fragile stickers, air-mail/express post stickers etc.  every once & awhile you can get free packing slip pouches & envelopes too but these are kinda random.

If you are shipping items that you want to put significant insurance on, use only new (1st-use) boxes & not used grocery store castaways.  It will help expedite the claim if you need it for "damaged in transit" - you'll need to tell the investigator that you followed the CP shipping guide on points like shipped in a new shipping box, 200lb crush weight, item packaged with 4 inches of padding all around the sides and top/bottom, no other marking or barcodes were on the box.  - they can & will deny a claim for damaged in shipping if the box was not a shipping class box or was previously used (CP recognises 1st-use only as valid shipping materials - even though they will accept a taped up cereal box at the counter!)

order your materials in bulk from places like U-line or Staples Industrial (not the big red store).  check your local town for small supply companies that buy in bulk from these place as well if you don't want to maintain an inventory of boxes yourself or haven't the space.  Here in Ottawa there are several small box companies - I like Prichards Packaging - they warehouse pretty much everything you need & ship materials from Toronto every Thursday.  Storage Locker rental lots often have box sales as well when they get overstocked.  Also check out Party/Wedding/supply stores - they often have may shipping supply options too.

Edited by Thumper
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

If you are anywhere near a US border, or in a larger center that has a service like chitchat express, definately look into it for US sales.   The shipping is cheaper, and it will greatly boost your sell through rate. 

To do it yourself, you fill in US Customs form 7523, the HS code for Lego is 9503 and that is duty free.  There is a $10.75 fee when you cross the border.   You need a US address for a return address - you can use a UPS store or any service that hold packages for pick-up - there is no charge.  Chitchat provides an address.

The plus with chitchat express, etc., is that you can ship as items are sold.  With the dyi method you need to state the shipping date for a shipping run, then haven enough listed to sell to make it worth the shipping run.  

If doing this and selling on ebay, you list on ebay.com, and put the US address as item location.  Mailing labels are printed from the .com site and you get the nice discounts.  For Canadian sales, you print mailing labels from the .ca site as it routes you through Canada Post. 

• 1 month later...