Architecture 2015

TheOrcKing

I'm back with Part 2 of my reverse-engineering the LEGO Louvre, Set # 21024.

This time I've built the courtyard, and in doing so realized that there are some rare parts we get to look forward to, most notably 1x1 and 1x2 tiles in trans-clear which are uncommon and as such cost 0.30$ and 0.20$ respectively on bricklink.

My overall progress includes the left flank of the building as well...

The use of wedges creates an interesting pattern. I think a lot of people will by 3 copies of this set such that they can build the whole 3-sided courtyard.

Annotating some of the parts and main shapes in the Courtyard section of the model.

I'm pretty sure I got the proportions right, and that this annotated photo is correct. (Obviously, the 3x6 wedge might actually be made of two 3x3 wedges.) I think the Pyramid looks great in the context of the overall model and am excited to finish my version of the model, and to see how close it is to the real set when it's released! I prepared a little more analysis at http://tomalphin.com.

---tom

I really like the hard work you put on all of your posts/models! You clearly have a talent for this kind of thing!

• 2 months later...

I also heard that Lego and the Creator of the Architecture series were having issues with different things. I don't know if things have been settled but it could be one reason why we don't see larger ones.

I suspect it's more a question of price-point. 

Lego may have figured out that 50-60 bucks is the sweet spot for these sets. Significant enough to make it a worthy gift, but not SO expensive as to exclude all but the richest customers.

When i went into a TRU or B&****** over the past 2-3 years, there would be plenty of the huge sets just sitting there in terrible condition boxes. They rarely ever sold, and you could tell because 1) you'd recognize the same trashed box sitting there for months & years 2) you can still go in today and confirm with date seals that these things have been sitting there for years.

Robie House, and now FallingWater and eventually the Imperial Hotel may become a thing of the past as they just didn't sell as well as their lower price point counterparts. (White house, Eiffel Tower, Trevi Fountain, UN HQ)

• Like 1

I suspect it's more a question of price-point. 

Lego may have figured out that 50-60 bucks is the sweet spot for these sets. Significant enough to make it a worthy gift, but not SO expensive as to exclude all but the richest customers.

​Yeah, I think that's spot on. I bet the $50 sets outsell the $200 sets way more than 4 times to 1. Sets like Robie must be quite a small, niche market really, and take up a lot of retail space. I hope we see a few more though, as I really like the big ones though I guess it's unlikely. The really small ones don't do it for me at all.

• Like 2

​Yeah, I think that's spot on. I bet the $50 sets outsell the $200 sets way more than 4 times to 1. Sets like Robie must be quite a small, niche market really, and take up a lot of retail space. I hope we see a few more though, as I really like the big ones though I guess it's unlikely. The really small ones don't do it for me at all.

​My sentiments exactly. The big guys are the reason I got into this line.

The use of wedges creates an interesting pattern.  I think a lot of people will by 3 copies of this set such that they can build the whole 3-sided courtyard.  

​This is a great idea, as I do think this set will look strange with just the one side showing and the 3 sides is a much more iconic structure.

I just built the flatiron, as I found in at TRU on May 1st.  Overall, i'd say it's definitely a worthy set to the line. My only grip is I wish the area where the two sides come together had two interior hinge pieces so that it locked together.  This could have been accomplished fairly easily by using the same technique that was used to angle the building.  They could have used those same hinge parts and hide them by building around the exterior and hence, keeping it locked together.  I guess you could easily fix this yourself with 2 hinge pieces.  Other than that it's a very nice display piece and worthy of the line.  In my opinion, the sets that came out over the last two years have really taken this line to a new level, and i'm looking forward to Louvre.

Edited by fossilrock

I just finished the Flatiron building. It's a quite nice build, but in the end I was short one transparent 1x2 tile. Checking the extra pieces I noticed differences to the bricklink inventory too. That's the first time I get this from a new set. Now I think about reporting it to Lego. It's just one piece, and postage would cost more than the piece, but I know Lego would just send it anyway. What a waste of resources.