Mega Bloks - general discussion

Brick Babe

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not my fault there is 0 demand for these sets. People do want Lego sets or fake versions Lego sets but not non Lego building blocks. Even Ebay.es doesn´t have a category to list them under, unless "giant doorstops" counts.
Mattel would not have retired it if it had sold like a 10188, I guess. I mean it must have cost a fair bit to design and develop it yet it had the life of an Ideas set.

I think we'll look back on these posts similar to mscheaf's fleeting claims that Town Hall would be around another 2 years.

2 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

I think we'll look back on these posts similar to mscheaf's fleeting claims that Town Hall would be around another 2 years.

Maybe in North America, European market is a totally different.

European Brickpickers get alot of flack for always being negative and talking of doom and gloom, but comparing North American market with EU is apples and oranges. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, waddamon said:

Then don't compare.  Make decisions and speculations based on your respective markets.  If this sucker is dead and gone, it should do quite well.  I'll look at selling in 12-18 months.

That´s why I returned it. Been sucked in one too many times by what well-meaning US Bpers think are home runs and turn out to be home fillers and I don´t know enough about the product to be able to take a risk on it.

The MB brand  seemingly has about as much credibilty in Europe as Richard Van Dyke´s English accent in Mary Poppins and I am not sure how reliable their European CS is either.

At least unpopular Lego sets can be parted out or you can use the pieces for MOCing.The Lego market might be in oversupply phase but at least the brand has maintained its value.

Edited by Val-E

That´s why I returned it. Been sucked in one too many times by what well-meaning US Bpers think are home runs and turn out to be home fillers and I don´t know enough about the product to be able to take a risk on it.
The MB brand  seemingly has about as much credibilty in Europe as Richard Van Dyke´s English accent in Mary Poppins and I am not sure how reliable their European CS is either.
At least unpopular Lego sets can be parted out or you can use the pieces for MOCing.The Lego market might be in oversupply phase but at least the brand has maintained its value.

Apart from my very first weeks (I recall buying a Riddler's Chase based on advice here) I have never bought a set just because people here said I should. Always know your game and do your own research.
  • Like 2

Finally finished my Enterprise. I was missing 1 piece so I am going to try to email them to see if they will mail it to me. I have to say it was a pretty good build. Parts of it were tedious but overall it was fun. The final product looks great and any hardcore Star Trek fan would love to have this one. There are an unbelievable 150 printed pieces in the set. The pieces are definitely inferior to Lego but looking at the final product you really can't see that. This thing is a beast with the completed set weighing in at 9.5 pounds. Overall I would say this is a great set but I am glad I didn't buy any for investment because I think the risk of missing pieces is too great.

Just realized my nacelles are on backwards. Oops. Easy fix.

5d3a540a3d51931efaff6ff7fb7d0b81.jpg

• Like 6

Cool set, but just not enough buyers for larger Mega Bloks sets.  I've sold several of the successful larger Mega Bloks sets in the last 3 years and buyers aren't snatching them up everyday or every week, and this set has very low demand. If several hundred were purchased from those on this forum during the Amazon sale, you're looking at years to offset them imo.

[mention=33213]jbacunn[/mention]
you mentioned the inferiority of the bricks to Lego. 
What about the "clutch" of putting bricks together (holding together) ?  How did that compare to Lego?

I would say the clutch power is greater than Lego and I don't mean that as a compliment. It's harder to fit the pieces together but once they are together they are really stuck to one another. I dread taking this thing apart because I know it's going to be difficult getting some of the pieces apart. When I occasionally made a mistake and had to take some pieces apart I had to use a knife to slide between the pieces to get them apart. Even a brick separator would not work in some cases.
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, jbacunn said:

I would say the clutch power is greater than Lego and I don't mean that as a compliment. It's harder to fit the pieces together but once they are together they are really stuck to one another. I dread taking this thing apart because I know it's going to be difficult getting some of the pieces apart. When I occasionally made a mistake and had to take some pieces apart I had to use a knife to slide between the pieces to get them apart. Even a brick separator would not work in some cases.

I am debating buying the set for display but am a little worried about its size.  Could you tell me the dimensions of final model?

I've said this multiple times on this forum, the clutching power is great. I guess it's not believable., yet it's true. Your LEGO brick separator will help you with disassembly. The Halo sets make great play sets and are very durable. Since this is a display set, you can be less worried about minor bumps.

7 minutes ago, exciter1 said:
1 hour ago, jbacunn said:

I've said this multiple times on this forum, the clutching power is great. I guess it's not believable., yet it's true. Your LEGO brick separator will help you with disassembly. The Halo sets make great play sets and are very durable. Since this is a display set, you can be less worried about minor bumps.

Brick separator helps but when you have bigger plate on plate it's tough. Most of the disk section is made of plate on top of plate and that's what I am dreading taking apart. It's true about not worrying about bumping it. I bet I could drop it from the table and it wouldn't break up that much. It's solid.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jbacunn said:

Same trouble I had from building Mega Bloks sets some years ago now. The pieces stuck together almost too well like contact cement and when so many of their designs relished in putting plates on top of other plates only made construction or heaven forbid deconstruction a nightmare more so. Fingernails were broken and skin was torn disassembling pretty much every model I had. I sometimes got booboos taking apart LEGO but nothing bad as Mega Bloks. I can hardly imagine a kid trying to build a Mega Bloks set well with the amount of force needed at times.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2017 at 2:37 PM, Alpinemaps said:

TMNT Technodrome is $149.98 at TRU this week. That means it's clearance.

Combine with the 20% off clearance coupon and the 20% off TRU GC sale today, it takes it down to $96.

Thank you for reporting, and another BIG thanx to the member who sent me the 20% coupon. Used my discounted $50 GCs with coupon =$96 plus tax! 

IMG_8159.JPG

• Like 1