My Suspension Story

mikeur86

Sorry to hear about this Mike....I have some good news though.  We are going to launch the Brick Classifieds Beta in early October, so this might be an option for you.  I don't know if better photos of the lots you were selling would have helped, but it seems to prevent a lot of issues.  I know many members complain about adding real photos of the items they are selling, but I can see it is becoming more important to eBay and it will be an important requirement to our site as well.  

• Like 2

I can see it is becoming more important to eBay and it will be an important requirement to our site as well.  

Sounds like this might be a polite way of you saying that he has been preemptively banned :)

Seriously though, it is terrible that you can lose your eBay privileges - just like that. Even if the listing habits might have been questionable - they could have at least insisted that the seller change their ways, instead of just banning them. 

Sounds like this might be a polite way of you saying that he has been preemptively banned :)

Seriously though, it is terrible that you can lose your eBay privileges - just like that. Even if the listing habits might have been questionable - they could have at least insisted that the seller change their ways, instead of just banning them. 

I agree.  It is scary that eBay wields so much power.  It has become a machine, but how can you argue with its success?  I expect members to utilize real photos of the items being sold when they use our Classifieds.  When you see the Classifieds and the listing page, you will realize why...an item looks great with pictures on our site.  It is no Bricklink...trust me.  It is the simplest way to prevent future issues IMO.  

I agree. It is scary that eBay wields so much power. It has become a machine, but how can you argue with its success? I expect members to utilize real photos of the items being sold when they use our Classifieds. When you see the Classifieds and the listing page, you will realize why...an item looks great with pictures on our site. It is no Bricklink...trust me. It is the simplest way to prevent future issues IMO.

Excellent and can't wait. I'm ready!

Sorry to hear about this Mike....I have some good news though.  We are going to launch the Brick Classifieds Beta in early October, so this might be an option for you.  I don't know if better photos of the lots you were selling would have helped, but it seems to prevent a lot of issues.  I know many members complain about adding real photos of the items they are selling, but I can see it is becoming more important to eBay and it will be an important requirement to our site as well.  

I will ensure all my pictures are specific 

=)

I guess overall I felt if the pictures were the issue they would have let me know. The pictures I was using for my auctions were specific to my store because it had my store logo with a little set up behind my items that showed my logo built in Lego's as well. The pictures also designated what an average 1/4 pound lot and 100 piece lot looked like but of course since the lots were chosen at random from a bulk order I didn't take individual pictures. Perhaps that was my failure and that is some good advice for others who sell on eBay in random piece lots.

Anyways, I look forward to what the future has to offer!

I will ensure all my pictures are specific 

=)

I guess overall I felt if the pictures were the issue they would have let me know. The pictures I was using for my auctions were specific to my store because it had my store logo with a little set up behind my items that showed my logo built in Lego's as well. The pictures also designated what an average 1/4 pound lot and 100 piece lot looked like but of course since the lots were chosen at random from a bulk order I didn't take individual pictures. Perhaps that was my failure and that is some good advice for others who sell on eBay in random piece lots.

Anyways, I look forward to what the future has to offer!

I guess 5 years ago, that was acceptable.  I bought many lots of LEGO bricks in that manner.  It seems like they are tightening up their rules though and some are good for everyone, but many are strangling the small sellers with a lot of extra BS.  

I guess 5 years ago, that was acceptable.  I bought many lots of LEGO bricks in that manner.  It seems like they are tightening up their rules though and some are good for everyone, but many are strangling the small sellers with a lot of extra BS.  

Its not just the small sellers that have the extra BS, its all sellers that are not box stores like ToysRus, Target, BestBuy who all have horrible feedback and the rules are bent for or changed.  I have multiple accounts with 3500-5000 per month limits on them and we are treated the same way.  Had 2 cases this week where our photos showed the particular item we were selling in with the defect clearly in the photo.  The ads both said the defects and how you could fix them.  Both the buyers did not read the ad or look at the photos. They both admitted to this yet they both used the ebay returns with "item defective" which bills us for the shipping and puts a defect on.  I called our rep group and they said just call them back when they are returned and we will reverse the defect and reimburse you the shipping.  So we did that and they told us for legal reasons they cannot reverse them as we didn't ad a special "item specific" with the defect even though it was in the ad, title, and pictures.  They said they would do a 1 time courtesy on one of the counts but going forward those would not even be removed.  Was more pissed that we had to call twice and get told different stories from our rep team as they call it. Yet Toysrus has a 97.9% feedback score which up until the new defect rate when into effect you had to maintain 98% to be on standard to even sell on ebay.  So unless your a box store you have no protections.   I don't know what the threshold is to where you can get any extra help but our ebay fees are in the 10-20k range per month and that gets you a big fat nothing too.  It does get frustrating but until something comes along to compete which at this juncture of them having 15 to 20 years head start on everyone I just don't see it happening, it will not change.  

It is going to change. After ebay had its behind handed to them in china and now etsy has shown that others can not only compete but beat ebay things are in motion. Payal will be spun off but after the apple pay announcement it is dead in the water. Without paypal ebay barely makes a profit so once JD is fired and they open the platform up to multiple payment processors (apple pay, amazon pmts, stripe) it will change as a marketplace. The top brass at ebay and paypal are currently making a huge cash grab as they know in 2-3 years the ecommerce landscape in the USA is going to be alot different.....Jack Ma is coming for them and they are floundering. In 5 years ebay will be radically different and alot smaller and alot of other players will have equal if not greater footing. Hang in there as once the smoke clears there will be alot of other options besides ebay and they will be better than todays ebay. It will be more work to list on multiple venues but something tells me someone bright, ambitious and hungary will link all of the venues together to make a huge world marketplace accepting one virtual currency. Capitalism FTW.

• Like 2

It is going to change. After ebay had its behind handed to them in china and now etsy has shown that others can not only compete but beat ebay things are in motion. Payal will be spun off but after the apple pay announcement it is dead in the water. Without paypal ebay barely makes a profit so once JD is fired and they open the platform up to multiple payment processors (apple pay, amazon pmts, stripe) it will change as a marketplace. The top brass at ebay and paypal are currently making a huge cash grab as they know in 2-3 years the ecommerce landscape in the USA is going to be alot different.....Jack Ma is coming for them and they are floundering. In 5 years ebay will be radically different and alot smaller and alot of other players will have equal if not greater footing. Hang in there as once the smoke clears there will be alot of other options besides ebay and they will be better than todays ebay. It will be more work to list on multiple venues but something tells me someone bright, ambitious and hungary will link all of the venues together to make a huge world marketplace accepting one virtual currency. Capitalism FTW.

I dig your optimism and hope your right. It would make selling so much easier

I am definitely hoping.  Been around since 1999 and has been my full time job since 2000 so this is what I like to do.  I am hoping Alibaba gets a foothold in the US with either an Amazon type setup or another auction style format.  I can make do with fixed price formats so either is fine.  Auctions are good for items with issues or parts etc so I do like the format also. Until a company with clout and power like Alibaba or the long rumored google auctions gets going and like you said if other pay options come in that could factor.  Just them opening or starting up something similar would be enough to get the people that have been banned or want to try something else to sign up which might put a dent in there overall sales / fees and then theres a shot.  Until that happens though it will be there way only and you abide and adapt to the changes each time they come up or you get banned.  I actually don't have any issues with paypal the last few years.  They used to be horrible to deal with and now they have actually stepped in certain circumstances and stuck up for the seller.  There customer service has been really good to me the last 3 or 4 years., which was a big change from how they were the previous 10 years.  Time will tell.  Hopefully some serious competition comes out of it that has a standing chance unlike Yahoo and Overstocks auction attempts. 

And somehow this bigger, more powerful company will decide that they want to be fair, and treat us better? - And why will they be doing this? 

Edited by KShine

I agree.  It is scary that eBay wields so much power.  It has become a machine, but how can you argue with its success?  I expect members to utilize real photos of the items being sold when they use our Classifieds.  When you see the Classifieds and the listing page, you will realize why...an item looks great with pictures on our site.  It is no Bricklink...trust me.  It is the simplest way to prevent future issues IMO.

Good to hear, I just bought a huge lot that should be sorted and ready by then.

And somehow this bigger, more powerful company will decide that they want to be fair, and treat us better? - And why will they be doing this? 

Well with a virtual currency all sales are final. Buyers will have to be responsible and actually read listings and feedback, and be subject to feedback of their own. Paypal knows people only use them because they have to and not because they choose to, and once they don't have to anymore the game is over.

I liked this so hard that I almost broke my screen.