• No
    • Depends
  2. 2. Are they a good investment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Because retirement dates are so hard to predict on this theme, I only get stuff that has EOL´d and move it on ASAP for double RRP. Even that is risky as they start doing remakes.

I feel these sets are scandalously expensive for what they are at RRP but a lot of buyers are architects themselves and it is just pocket money for them!

If your buy-in was less than RRP then I´d sell for double RRP and walk away happy..

• Like 1

Because retirement dates are so hard to predict on this theme, I only get stuff that has EOL´d and move it on ASAP for double RRP. Even that is risky as they start doing remakes.

I feel these sets are scandalously expensive for what they are at RRP but a lot of buyers are architects themselves and it is just pocket money for them!

If your buy-in was less than RRP then I´d sell for double RRP and walk away happy..

expensive on price per piece basis relative to other lego sets, but still very cheap compared to other adult hobbies like realistic toy trains, swiss watches, art pieces etc. Even tickets to many sports games are more expensive than lego architecture sets.

• Like 2

True, and cost is relative to the disposable income of the buyer.

I don´t know for sure but the Architecture Studio is maybe also a price cap on most of these sets as anyone who wants one for themselves and knows a little about Lego would work out that its more cost effective to get the studio and download the instructions to the sets whose parts are generic - Burj, Pisa etc,

Obviously, sets bought as gifts and that contain rare parts have more upward room.

Um how much do you think architects make?  they are one of the most underpaid professions there is for the time, education and skill required.  most do like their legos though...

• Like 1

Um how much do you think architects make?  they are one of the most underpaid professions there is for the time, education and skill required.  most do like their legos though...

The good ones make enough to buy premium lego. It´s also worth remembering their circle of acquaintances as it seems a lot of these sets are bought as gifts for architects or by architects for customers etc.

Lego is something a lot of them have in their blood as maybe they used it as kids and it inspired them to follow that career.

• Like 1

I would hazard a guess that most buyers of lego architecture sets are not architects, but from various professions. Similarly most buyers of art pieces are not artists, and buyers of swiss mechanical watches are not watch makers.

I agree. Also, a lot of these are landmarks. People just buy them because they have been there, or want to be.

• Like 1

I would hazard a guess that most buyers of lego architecture sets are not architects, but from various professions. Similarly most buyers of art pieces are not artists, and buyers of swiss mechanical watches are not watch makers.

I sold the Rockefeller today. 

When I asked the buyer if he was an architect he was very flattered.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I can tell you that from someone who studied Architecture in school and work as an Engineer, Architects don't make much money until you are registered and have a good 15 years of experience and even then it isn't 6 figures. However that being said, it is in their blood and I've never meet an Architect that didn't absolutely love this line and many will pay for it. Even if they cant afford it.........food is over rated anyway............;)

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Here is a little treat for architecture series fans. I work for a home builder, the division I work at builds over $1mil houses, we offer warranty on some things so after the house is sold, people move in but I still deal with them because of the warranty. So last week I go to one of the houses, I see architecture set on the table (homeowner has 2 daughters) so I start a little conversation: ' oh I see you have architecture series set' she didn't know exactly what it is but mentioned quickly that her husband got it when he gave a speech at chicago's museum science and industry recently, ok whatever, didn't click (because I'm not architecture fan (yet)) but since that last visit I thought about it.... Is it custom made especially for that museum for that event (whatever event it was) ?

anyway, I had to go there today again, so I asked about it again and she said it again that her hubby got it for the speech at that particular museum..... I asked if I could take pics and here they are: 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 8

• 2 months later...

Here is a PBS Digital Studios animation taking a small except from The Mike Wallace interview of Frank Lloyd Wright that aired back in 1957. (The original interview was close to an hour and can be seen on YouTube.) An already intriguing conversation with such an iconic person, I figured anyone with interest in the Architecture line may enjoy this segment.

"I think any man who really has faith in himself will be dubbed arrogant by his fellows."
- Frank Lloyd Wright

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
18 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

So, we're getting another Architecture re-release with the 21035 - Guggenheim Museum?

It will probably be better and a little more sophisticated than the original, but if you have any of the old, sell sell sell.   Before the NYC skyline came out, the ESB was going for higher prices than it does currently.  Also, the original Burj Khalifa (I can never remember the numbers associated with the set) took a hit with the new version.  I just hope they don't dip back into the retired landmark sets.  Those sets are ahem...gold!