General shipping questions, tips and answers

speedpro50

12 minutes ago, RightDwigt said:

USPS one is free but a bit oversized for the Nebulon

https://store.usps.com/store/product/shipping-supplies/priority-mail-box-1095-P_O_1095#moreinfofooter

I have some of these that fit most sets under $30-40 MSRP, including the Nebulon with minimal wasted volume. 

https://www.staples.com/12-L-x-9-W-x-3-H-Shipping-Boxes-32-ECT-Brown-25-Bundle-PRA0049/product_426568

Edit, I just wanted to add that I read some advice here earlier this year that the best thing some sellers have done is to buy specific perfect size boxes for most of their inventory. I found three different box sizes from Staples that cover 99% of the inventory I have. A little less than a dollar per sale as far as cost goes, but well worth saving the headache of finding boxes or having boxes that are way too large. Just raise the price a dollar and you're good. No more the days of coming through my old Amazon boxes. 🤗

Thanks! Will the Staples ones cost roughly the same to ship as the USPS flat rate for this set assuming most domestic locations?

1 minute ago, sauromosis said:

Thanks! Will the Staples ones cost roughly the same to ship as the USPS flat rate for this set assuming most domestic locations?

Probably not, FR is generally not a good deal.

To get around this issue I'll just send you a label and you can send the entire box full of them to me. Then you don't need to worry about all those shipping headaches. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, sauromosis said:

Yes, generally. Under 3 lb or so you are mostly looking at the weight is the determining factor vs overall dimensions. I usually find that the closer you can get a box to the exact size of the item you are shipping, the less chance there will be any damage. 

Staples is a great option right now with the free shipping no minimum. I'm sure that'll go away before too long, but it's been nice during the pandemic.

2 minutes ago, amtrak23 said:

To get around this issue I'll just send you a label and you can send the entire box full of them to me. Then you don't need to worry about all those shipping headaches. 

The boxes in my link above are the 1095 general purpose priority mail boxes. Flat rate postage is not required, just priority.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, amtrak23 said:

Thanks, man, that will help. I'll also include a personal check for any labor hours you spend unpacking them.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Has everyone been experiencing delays in shipment arrivals? I have a few packages that were shipped around last week of Nov that havent been delivered yet. The closer we get to Christmas the less likely an order will arrive on time. All of these are 1-3 day priority mailings.......... Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, redghostx said:

Question for experts: Do sets like Parisian Restaurant fit in a 4" deep box or do I need to go to a 6" box? I know that the larger sets are 4.5" in height so they won't fit anyhow and I assume that I need a 24x16x6 or similar to include both set sizes.

modulars fit in the 4",  personal preference and how far its going.  Generally if I made a lot I'll go to the 6" for more protection.  The 4 is pretty tight and if someone steps on the box most likely will dent.  

the 2" can be a price hit on the dim weight.

• 4 weeks later...

FYI, USPS shipping rates are going up on 1/24.

So if you have any labels needing to be created, you might want to do it today.

Remember to select today as the ship date (to get the current rates) - if you select Monday you'll pay the higher rates.

Edited by KShine
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Any preferred ship site for USPS as far as best bang for your $$$, like pirate ship vs paypal or ebay depending on the selling platforms?

Also, for UPS and FedEx direct B&M or online are the preferred way or are there any online sites that provide better pricing for these 2.

Please move if this question is in the wrong forum. Thanks

Thanks for any feedback

• 1 year later...
26 minutes ago, Bricklectic said:

Is anyone familiar with Custom duties importing in to the USA from Europe? I've imported under $800 with zavvi and others with no issues. Question is if order is a few grand, is there any duty owed? It's surprisingly difficult to research online.

I was recently considering buying a piece of artwork from Europe and was told this " All goods worth over $2,500 that are imported into the US require formal entry by US Customs and Border Protection and need to be assigned to a registered importer – which is you as the purchaser of this work.  The CBP Form 5106 is the Importer Identity Form. The US CBP uses that form to keep track of importers’ information, verify the identity of the importer, track their importing history, and ensure that they are abiding by all the laws for importing into the U.S. Once you submit this form, you will become known as an Importer of Record, which means that the process will be much quicker the next time you do this." Not sure if this applies to your situation.

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/assets/documents/2022-May/CBP Form 5106.pdf

Edited by melting
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bricklectic said:

Thanks @melting

If I understand correctly, each category import has it's own rules. So toys very well may differ from artwork. I came across some web info stating that toys are exempt from duties but did not see this on any official website.

I looked at this issue years ago when I was buying more from overseas sellers.  I cannot recall the specifics, but I do know that I never worried about import duties and ordered from overseas pretty freely.  The largest orders I placed were in the $4k-$5k range and I was never assessed any import duties.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Has anyone generated a label through USPS (priority mail), dropped it off at the post office (in the back where it is apparently monitored by camera 24/7) and then the package is lost? I shipped something on Saturday and just realized it is not in the system at all. I now realize that I should have taken a picture. Is there anything I can do? It is insured but if it not in the system am I screwed?

Update: apparently the USPS system was wrong. I was thankfully just informed that it arrived. Whew!

Edited by jmdt
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, jmdt said:

Has anyone generated a label through USPS (priority mail), dropped it off at the post office (in the back where it is apparently monitored by camera 24/7) and then the package is lost? I shipped something on Saturday and just realized it is not in the system at all. I now realize that I should have taken a picture. Is there anything I can do? It is insured but if it not in the system am I screwed?

Update: apparently the USPS system was wrong. I was thankfully just informed that it arrived. Whew!

Luckily at my local USPS they have a self serve kiosk that will let you scan a label prior to dropping it in the box. The kiosk will then print a receipt showing the tracking/date etc.

• Like 1