Welcome to the Brick Classifieds Open Roundtable

Jeff Mack

I think a strong angle might be re-seller to re-seller sales.

One thing that this site has over the competition is that it has a very large group of re-sellers (and buyers) with large inventories of LEGO.

I am not so sure that many typical retail buyers will be stopping by very often to purchase a $10 friends set here (instead of buying it on ebay), but there are so many re-sellers associated with the site - that there couldn't be a better place to sell a lot of 20 of the same set.

We all have underperformers, or sets that we simply purchased way too many of. Maybe someone came across a great deal on a bunch of sets of a theme that they aren't that interested in - this will be a great place to be able to sell them (without giving 10% of it away in fees).

There are also so many Investors nowadays that decide that they need to get out (for whatever reason) - no other place can compete.

Edited by KShine
  • Like 3

One feature of BrickLink I like is the ability to quickly determine sellers in my home country - it not only helps determine who will have lower shipping costs, but keeps expectations in check regarding price.

With the "Australia Tax" being in play, the ability for Australian sellers to find Australian buyers will be important.

And the flip side of this is as a seller I may only be interested in selling within my own country.

Especially as a new seller I may want to limit my exposure initially until I've shipped a few sets without having to worry about customs declarations etc.

You will set your default country, currencies, etc.  When you are listing a new product, by default the first shipping location that comes up is your own.  So if you are in Australia, you will say that shipping to Australia is $5.00.   You can stop there.  Everyone else in the world will see a warning at the top of the listing that "This seller does not ship to you".  This is something the other sites do and knew it would be important to include.  Then you can either handpick other countries that you are willing to ship to or just include Everywhere else and then it's global.  $5.00 to Australia, then maybe $20 everywhere else.   You can also set up shipping profiles for different setups or products.  So you can have a minifigure shipping profile for lighter packaging and then maybe a SSD profile for big boxes.  It's pretty flexible.

• Like 1

If you read my earlier posts, I stated that we are about the "small guy/gal." Our setup will let the small seller shine. Price you product properly. List the item correctly and creatively and it stands a good chance. Plus there will be other options about highlighting sets going forward. We will deal with big sellers as they come and work with them as well. As for the advertising, see my above posts. We have some solid ideas and will advertise heavily.

My bad, I'm sure I read your earlier post but with all the info I've been processing lately, not all of it is staying put. Thanks!

I have a specific idea of what would be a really cool option as a seller.  It kind of ties into the stock photo discussion.  I assume many sellers will have a great deal of multiples of some sets probably 20+ up to in the hundreds in many cases.  Could there be an option where it is basically a stock photo or photo of "the stash" or a photo of 3 examples from your inventory with different pricing structure?  Say you are selling power armor lex for example and your price for a "nice box but not mint" is $50.  That would be the vast majority of the inventory and the typical price.  You could also have an option "damaged box but new/100% complete sealed" and price that at $40 or whatever and have "close to mint box" option for $60.  Then the buyer can decide if they are the type who want a mint box or don't really care about box condition.

You hit the nail on the head here.  We all suffer from not being able acquire MINT boxes all the time and I would love being able to list sets saying, I have 10 MINT, 5 NM, and 5 in Good condition w/ maybe small discounts depending on condition.

Also, have you begun to draft a Terms of Service policy w/ seller levels/rewards, shipping requirements, etc?  I would like to see a pay within 3 days, ship within 3 days of payment, terms for damaged shipments, return policies, etc.  I know these are a pain to think about and draft.  I see now, with all of these things to think about why it takes time to launch something like this.

I have been lucky in Brick Trader so far.  I have chosen to not trade with a few folks who are new to BrickPicker or have a low post count, but I still find myself getting nervous when I ship large items to someone who isn't as active in the forums.

You hit the nail on the head here.  We all suffer from not being able acquire MINT boxes all the time and I would love being able to list sets saying, I have 10 MINT, 5 NM, and 5 in Good condition w/ maybe small discounts depending on condition.

Box condition should be clarified with each sale IMO.  I expect it from every site I buy from and I ask if they don't mention it.  If the seller says the item is NEW, then I expect new, or at least close to it with minimal shelf wear.  If seller labels it NEW-damaged box, then people should understand.  Make it easy on yourself...Put it in your listing to ask about box conditions or that box condition will vary.  You shouldn't expect the same price for different box conditions in all honesty.

Also, have you begun to draft a Terms of Service policy w/ seller levels/rewards, shipping requirements, etc?  I would like to see a pay within 3 days, ship within 3 days of payment, terms for damaged shipments, return policies, etc.  I know these are a pain to think about and draft.  I see now, with all of these things to think about why it takes time to launch something like this.

As for terms...You set your terms in your store/listing.  You and the buyer make the deal.   Rewards?  How about letting people sell on our site for 1-2% fees?  Is that enough rewards?  LOL. 

I have been lucky in Brick Trader so far.  I have chosen to not trade with a few folks who are new to BrickPicker or have a low post count, but I still find myself getting nervous when I ship large items to someone who isn't as active in the forums.

I think the idea of the Classifieds is to sell to people outside of the forums for the majority of sales.  Seller/buyer protection is from Paypal and credit cards.  Feedback will help as well.  It is no different than Brciklink/Brickowl and their procedures and protections.  Take a look at Etsy.com and you will see what will provide for the most part.  

As for terms...You set your terms in your store/listing.  You and the buyer make the deal.   Rewards?  How about letting people sell on our site for 1-2% fees?  Is that enough rewards?  LOL.

I didn't really mean rewards, per se, as in so many sales or anything equals a discount or cash back.  Maybe more of an awards system "top seller, high-rated, blah blah blah", or tiered ranking based on sales, feedback, etc.  If you want to become a "featured seller", maybe the fees would be a percent or partial percent higher on each sale, etc.

Just throwing stuff out there.

I didn't really mean rewards, per se, as in so many sales or anything equals a discount or cash back.  Maybe more of an awards system "top seller, high-rated, blah blah blah", or tiered ranking based on sales, feedback, etc.  If you want to become a "featured seller", maybe the fees would be a percent or partial percent higher on each sale, etc.

Just throwing stuff out there.

We have a whole bunch of icons ready.  

I appreciate that the peasants are allowed to read this forum as it offers great insight into the brick classified construction process. :-)

I would like to see (as noted above) a drop down option for new sets but not mint boxes.  I have purchased some retired sets at 50% discount with creased boxes and although I always accurately describe my items with photos, it is helpful for sorting to have the drop down option to begin with.  As a buyer, I may only want to look for NISB/MISB and not sets with creased boxes.

I believe that photos are important for any high value item (say $100+) - buyers (and traders from the trading feature) are right to be concerned about the item they are receiving as we primarily operate on a handshake agreement.  Personally, I include photos for everything and whether you are selling 1 or 20 of an item, taking 2 minutes to add a photo is reasonable - as this is for seller security, not the buyer. 

Thanks for all of the hard work, I look forward to buying and selling using this feature.

I appreciate that the peasants are allowed to read this forum as it offers great insight into the brick classified construction process. :-)

I would like to see (as noted above) a drop down option for new sets but not mint boxes.  I have purchased some retired sets at 50% discount with creased boxes and although I always accurately describe my items with photos, it is helpful for sorting to have the drop down option to begin with.  As a buyer, I may only want to look for NISB/MISB and not sets with creased boxes.

I believe that photos are important for any high value item (say $100+) - buyers (and traders from the trading feature) are right to be concerned about the item they are receiving as we primarily operate on a handshake agreement.  Personally, I include photos for everything and whether you are selling 1 or 20 of an item, taking 2 minutes to add a photo is reasonable - as this is for seller security, not the buyer. 

Thanks for all of the hard work, I look forward to buying and selling using this feature.

The peasants will make this work or not...not the big shots.

I hope to participate in this new Classified feature as well.  I have only had three trades here all before the new trader forum but I have been active in posting. 

The news of Ebay changing the return policy so sellers pay return shipping is ridiculous.  Now sellers will have to content with those unscrupulous people who will take the desired mini's out of a set and CLAIM they weren't there.

Not a lot of protection for sellers these days.  You almost have to video the entire packing process so the shipping box gets sealed while standing in front of the shipping agent UPS/USPS/FEDEX.

Worries me.  I don't sell much yet as I have been constantly accumulating but the risk of selling SSD's just went up.

Scares the poo out of me.

I have never bought or sold anything off of craigslist.  Here in the RIOT first location of St. Louis there are many that would take the set and run.

I hope to participate in this new Classified feature as well.  I have only had three trades here all before the new trader forum but I have been active in posting. 

The news of Ebay changing the return policy so sellers pay return shipping is ridiculous.  Now sellers will have to content with those unscrupulous people who will take the desired mini's out of a set and CLAIM they weren't there.

Not a lot of protection for sellers these days.  You almost have to video the entire packing process so the shipping box gets sealed while standing in front of the shipping agent UPS/USPS/FEDEX.

Worries me.  I don't sell much yet as I have been constantly accumulating but the risk of selling SSD's just went up.

Scares the poo out of me.

I have never bought or sold anything off of craigslist.  Here in the RIOT first location of St. Louis there are many that would take the set and run.

Yes, seller protections are few.  It now seems that eBay is punishing the small sellers of the world.  I guess that is why a site like Etsy has become so popular.  We are shooting for early October to release the Beta to members so people can give it a try.  I think many of you will like it.  

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

What about trading? i want at least one #76023 Tumbler mint sealed in it's box for myself. I may trade a #41999 Crawler in mint same. Or what else?

I believe it's time to get together everyone who has been banned from Lego LEGO Shop at Home, using our Vip Cards and buying set with other than cash.

How about an AMNESTY ???

What about trading? i want at least one #76023 Tumbler mint sealed in it's box for myself. I may trade a #41999 Crawler in mint same. Or what else?

I believe it's time to get together everyone who has been banned from Lego S@H, using our Vip Cards and buying set with other than cash.

How about an AMNESTY ???

If you want to trade something, do it here:

http://community.brickpicker.com/classifieds

• 2 weeks later...

I will tell you how I plan to use the BP trader feature once up and running.

I absolutely love researching Lego sets, purchasing solid quantities, and making great returns doing so. Having fun, and making money doing so- can't beat it.

Due to the nature of my work, plus family/home life, I do not have the resource of time (nor interest) in establishing an online store via EBay or Amazon. The time investment of dealing with returns, end-buyer inquiries, etc. is more than I am able to do.

I would much rather have a wholesaler's approach- selling to fellow BP'ers at a profit-generating price for both myself and them. I place an extreme premium on qualified buyers, and would rather bulk sell/ship at a discount to an established BP'er than manage single-unit sales to the public.

Can't wait for the Classifieds to be up and running.

• Like 1

I will tell you how I plan to use the BP trader feature once up and running.

I absolutely love researching Lego sets, purchasing solid quantities, and making great returns doing so. Having fun, and making money doing so- can't beat it.

Due to the nature of my work, plus family/home life, I do not have the resource of time (nor interest) in establishing an online store via EBay or Amazon. The time investment of dealing with returns, end-buyer inquiries, etc. is more than I am able to do.

I would much rather have a wholesaler's approach- selling to fellow BP'ers at a profit-generating price for both myself and them. I place an extreme premium on qualified buyers, and would rather bulk sell/ship at a discount to an established BP'er than manage single-unit sales to the public.

Can't wait for the Classifieds to be up and running.

Yeah wouldn't mind a wholesale b2b market like dealernetb2b is in sports and gaming cards

Was nice running buys and sells and having daily bulk orders sold and filled. Will this be similar in where both parties ship / pay in timely manner? Or does buyer pay then item ships like a storefront? Very few issues in a controlled environment because no one ever wanted to get lit up on the boards for non pay or slow ship. It worked well.

It sounds great Raven. Who amongst us, established and known amongst Fellow BP'er's, would be unfair in their business dealings? If you are on here, and have an established presence/persona/reputation on the forum, I am one hundred times more interested in doing business with you than a random consumer.

Guest TabbyBoy

I'm looking forward to when the classifieds are up and running as one lucky UK buyer with a HUGE van will have the chance to buy about 900 assorted sets at 33% off RRP (a 10% loss for me) including a lot of exclusives and EOLs.  Consolidating my stash into large exclusives only is a lot of very hard work and a mass-offload will get me back on track.  Looking at about

I'm looking forward to when the classifieds are up and running as one lucky UK buyer with a HUGE van will have the chance to buy about 900 assorted sets at 33% off RRP (a 10% loss for me) including a lot of exclusives and EOLs.  Consolidating my stash into large exclusives only is a lot of very hard work and a mass-offload will get me back on track.  Looking at about