10221 - UCS: Super Star Destroyer

Jeff Mack

SSD  

395 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed SSD's do you have

• 4-5
    • 6-10
    • more than 10
    • I'm Emazers and I built a replica SSD out of sealed SSDs.

​Hmm, shouldn't the atmospheric pressure of the planet deform that ISD upon entry then ? ;)  At the very least that bridge should not be intact as shown at 0:29 :codemafia: 

​The ISD is a very poorly designed ship in the first place.. Who builds a bridge in such a vulnerable position anyways? Not only is it extremely obvious where the ship's nerve center is, defending it or extending a "force field" or "deflector shield" (or whatever you want to call it) around such a structure would be problematic and expensive. The entire premise of the Star Wars shield technology is to deflect the laser blast which means your shield would have to extend waaaay out to form an egg like structure. The amount of energy required to do that would be quite extreme and a very poor example of energy efficient construction. The SSD on the other hand is a perfect example of a compact and efficient structure to throw a shield around.

Also I would think that the bridge would be relatively well protected from atmospheric forces when entering the atmosphere by the extremely large underbelly of the ship. However, crashing hard enough into the surface (even if icky soft sand) to bury half the ship would have caused some ripple damage into other areas of the ship and I would have expected that bridge area to have collapsed forward. We know how poorly the Empire builds things (Tie's with no shields, Death Stars with "one hit" self destruct mechanisms, long unprotected shafts leading to nowhere perfect for tossing an emperor or two) so it stands to reason that the area that connects the bridge to the ships superstructure would be poorly built as well. ;)

Edited by gregpj
edited for poor spelling
  • Like 2

Gents, quick question, should i pull the trigger on a NIB SSD for 680$ ? Im sure it will go up but since this ship will never appear in the new movies i am also tempted to put that

money in ships that will, like Slave 1 or Tie Fighter. The new movies are sure to create a lot of attention around SW but it's all going to be around new hardware.

Gents, quick question, should i pull the trigger on a NIB SSD for 680$ ? Im sure it will go up but since this ship will never appear in the new movies i am also tempted to put that

money in ships that will, like Slave 1 or Tie Fighter. The new movies are sure to create a lot of attention around SW but it's all going to be around new hardware.

if the choice is because you don't have one then buying a used one in a good shape with all the instruction and box might be a good idea.

from investment perspective its very difficult to answer :D ..... look where the MF is at .. but by no means SSD is MF... anyway just my 0.02

• Like 1

​It will rise to $1000+ and probably by xmas 2015/2016, so you likely won't lose on this if you hold it long enough. However there are other investments to jump on most people would probably advise you to let this ship sail away. 

• Like 1

Lol. Someone ^^ clearly has not watched the trailer. It is very much in the new movie 

​? I watched both and there are no SSD in either, only an old ISD crashed on a planet and a new type of ?SD in space, with some kind of shark fin in front. Is there a third trailer i am not aware of?

Lol. Someone ^^ clearly has not watched the trailer. It is very much in the new movie 

​So you are saying that a short scene with an uncertain SSD debris should skyrocket the prices? I agree that there is an SW craze around the movies, but not to that extent. We shouldn't jump to that kind of exaggerated conclusions.

​So you are saying that a short scene with an uncertain SSD debris should skyrocket the prices? I agree that there is an SW craze around the movies, but not to that extent. We shouldn't jump to that kind of exaggerated conclusions.

I never said anything about its price. My comment was in response to him saying this ship will never return in the new movies. That is clearly wrong. 

But I do agree with newbie. It all depends on your gut feeling. I hope/think it will end up settling a little above the ISD(10030). At that price a $680 buyin will be great. If it stops at 1k You would be better off investing in something that's about to retire. 

This question ways reminds me of EDs story about him buying CC and that worked out for him. 

​It's definitely an SSD. I don't think that scene in particular will have much of an effect on prices, but the whole SW hype in general will. And who knows, we might yet see a fully functioning SSD in the movie or in later movies.

I never said anything about its price. My comment was in response to him saying this ship will never return in the new movies. That is clearly wrong. 

But I do agree with newbie. It all depends on your gut feeling. I hope/think it will end up settling a little above the ISD(10030). At that price a $680 buyin will be great. If it stops at 1k You would be better off investing in something that's about to retire. 

This question ways reminds me of EDs story about him buying CC and that worked out for him. 

​I would not dare to compare buying an SSD at well over retail to invest with CC or ISD as the latter are from an earlier period in the investment cycle and have real rarity value. We will see how many SSD´s come crawling out of the woodwork over the next months and how prices evolve.

There is also real danger of a remake happening, something much less likely with modulars. For me it´s a no deal as there are better ways to invest that kind of money.

• Like 1