would you bite on 10181 and 10185

donliu

I have personally passed on the Eiffel Tower at that price (for a build) so I would say no. It isn't a bad price but you can spend that $500 on higher return items.

The Green Grocer can be a good deal IF the missing pieces are cheap and that is hard to check without having an inventory of the pieces.

Ex Astris, Scientia.

I would have grabbed the tower

Eiffel tower you could get 1000$ for if you clean it up, make a good listing, etc.

Green Grocer is not worth it missing pieces though.

I don't see any sold listings for $1000 with essentially no box. Most sales are in the 650-700 range. 

I think that you could get $650 for it (550-560 after fees).  There is still profit there but until you take it apart and count the pieces, you don't know for sure that it is 100% and that reduces your profit/time. 

I don't see any sold listings for $1000 with essentially no box. Most sales are in the 650-700 range. 

I think that you could get $650 for it (550-560 after fees).  There is still profit there but until you take it apart and count the pieces, you don't know for sure that it is 100% and that reduces your profit/time. 

That doesn't mean it wont sell for that. It will. These older sets are easy to get big money for if you wait a bit. They are scarce and someone always bites. Done it plenty of times.

Look at the Cafe Corner. There aren't many listings selling over 800$. Both the used ones I have I sold for that.

I have personally passed on the Eiffel Tower at that price (for a build) so I would say no. It isn't a bad price but you can spend that $500 on higher return items.

Really? I buy $500ish 10181s every chance I get and resell for at least $800. Nice thing is usually the turnaround time is only 2 months for making nice coin. Even after fees, you'll be clearing around 50% net profit. :)

Sent from an iPhone using the Brickpicker app

Really? I buy $500ish 10181s every chance I get and resell for at least $800. Nice thing is usually the turnaround time is only 2 months for making nice coin. Even after fees, you'll be clearing around 50% net profit. :)

II agree with you in that it is easy profit - but I usually find Eiffel for $500 on vacation (CL ads or I have to bring it across the border and might pay tax) and travelling with that kind of cash and lego set for 2 weeks isn't a good idea thus I have always passed.

I amend my statement, if you can afford to hold onto it - buy the Eiffel until it sells at your price. :)

I'd definitely buy for $500.  If you're only buying for "fun" (e.***., to put the thing together), how can you lose?  Sure, you're out $500 for a little while.  But, you put it together, and then sell it off in a couple of months.  You won't lose any money.  And you'll get some back.

I agree with ja.  I'd make that same offer.  I'd be happy to take it off your hands for $550.

I saw the ad in our Craiglist in LA, I passed on both.  The guy could not guarantee how many pieces are missing.  The legos are loose.  If the tower and green grocer was already built, then I could see what was missing.  With a pile of bricks, you just never know.  He says he thinks its mostly complete but I have been burned in the past.  Instead, I spent $850 on a 10190 Market Street MSIB on ebay.

Prob is once you buy the initial $500 one to flip, you'll want to keep the 2nd one,

Me?  Probably not.  There are a lot of sets I'm interested in building, but I have no place to display.  So I'm just as quick to tear it down as soon as it's built, and send it on it's way.  Even if I lose $20 on a set, I view it for it's entertainment value, just like paying to see a movie.

But that's just for individual sets like this.  Not for investment sets.

I saw the ad in our Craiglist in LA, I passed on both.  The guy could not guarantee how many pieces are missing.  The legos are loose.  If the tower and green grocer was already built, then I could see what was missing.  With a pile of bricks, you just never know.  He says he thinks its mostly complete but I have been burned in the past.  Instead, I spent $850 on a 10190 Market Street MSIB on ebay.

Where is that? I watch a lot of listings and I hadn't seen a Market Street pop up or be sold for that low. not in Ebay listings.

• 2 weeks later...

I would be on the fence for Eiffel at $500. Not because I wouldn't be able to make money with it, but I think I would rather invest my $500 into some GE's. That would bring me a faster and higher return. 

On a side note, I did sell my loose Eiffel Tower complete with instructions and box about a year ago on craigslist for $600. There's another one on CL now for $595 but it's been relisted several times. I guess I got lucky with mine.

i still agree with myself :)

10181 is one of the most iconic sets ever made by lego. at $500 it's 100% a must buy if complete w/ or w/o box.

I would be on the fence for Eiffel at $500. Not because I wouldn't be able to make money with it, but I think I would rather invest my $500 into some GE's. That would bring me a faster and higher return. 

true but people who buy 10181s (like 10196 and 10179s) don't always buy for the investment.  the ROI is like a second helping of free dessert to go along with it.

You're killing me with this, I want a used GG.  However, tracking down the instructions and figs will be over 100 dollars.  I passed on a similar ebay one for 400 because I calculated it would cost around 600 to complete.

sometimes you just gotta go for it. 

sell something if you need to help fund it ($-wise). 

that is what i did to buy some of my personal sets including the latest (10196 GC - no box but had 2 new sound bricks & a used one).   i already sold one of the sound bricks to help out.

• Like 1

sometimes you just gotta go for it. 

sell something if you need to help fund it ($-wise). 

that is what i did to buy some of my personal sets including the latest (10196 GC - no box but had 2 new sound bricks & a used one).   i already sold one of the sound bricks to help out.

That's phenomenal...CL?  I know what you mean but lately I've been "cutting the fat" a little too much anyway based on my preferences. 

Instructions for GG can be found for under $60 (I paid $56 shipped for mine yesterday to complement my CL find). I believe that only one of the minifigs is expensive so you can piece them together cheaply. But you have to find a set $200 under BP value to make it worthwhile (or 100 under with figures).

Plus as JA mentioned, you can sell a set to offset it. If you picked up something at $20 and sell it at $50 you can reduce your out of pocket cost for GG.

Ex Astris, Scientia.