Box Art Design--Pros/Cons

We hear quite a bit about box art and I'm just wondering what makes it or breaks it? The most important part of a set is what's inside the box, but there have to be some people who care about the outside as well. In some cases the box art might be the biggest factor in selling a set.

One thing I can't stand seeing on the front of a Lego box is that rectangle with text inside that says "WARNING! CHOKING HAZARD...." I get it, of course, but it is still annoying. 

I love the newer designs coming out...such as the Curiosity Rover, Ecto-1, and Exo Suit. I like the dark backgrounds with less distractions.

This thread probably has more to do with collecting than investing. For those who collect sets and display the boxes, what are some things you love or hate about box art?

We hear quite a bit about box art and I'm just wondering what makes it or breaks it? The most important part of a set is what's inside the box, but there have to be some people who care about the outside as well. In some cases the box art might be the biggest factor in selling a set.

One thing I can't stand seeing on the front of a Lego box is that rectangle with text inside that says "WARNING! CHOKING HAZARD...." I get it, of course, but it is still annoying. 

I love the newer designs coming out...such as the Curiosity Rover, Ecto-1, and Exo Suit. I like the dark backgrounds with less distractions.

This thread probably has more to do with collecting than investing. For those who collect sets and display the boxes, what are some things you love or hate about box art?

Box design is very important to me.  I love the stylish new boxes of the Ideas theme and Architecture sets.  I think the current UCS boxes are weak.  Gaudy actually, not classy.  They could be a work of art if they did the new ones like they did the 7191 UCS X-Wing, but in a heavier cardboard.  

Box design is very important to me.  I love the stylish new boxes of the Ideas theme and Architecture sets.  I think the current UCS boxes are weak.  Gaudy actually, not classy.  They could be a work of art if they did the new ones like they did the 7191 UCS X-Wing, but in a heavier cardboard.  

We've not seen the new Tumbler box art just yet.  One that has been posted I think is still a mock up.  It's been taken from the Tumbler polybag design.

I think what I love most about the Ideas theme box art is that it's a perfect blend for all ages. Sophisticated and cool but also kid-friendly. I can't stand the busy designs and gaudy ones like you said. Take the UCS R2 set for instance. The background is virtually the same color scheme as R2 and there are a bunch of horizontal lines in the background that clash with R2. It is way too distracting. Add to that the silly banner on top with Darth Maul. I hate those banners. I wish they would lose the banner but just keep the Star Wars logo.

BTTF Delorean is another great design. Again, Cuusoo or Ideas theme.

I really like the box art used for the new Sandcrawler, so glad they finally did away with the stupid star wars banner at the top with the random character.  Why is there a clone trooper on the top of my SSD box?  At least stick Vader in  there so that it makes sense.  I guess Lucas & Co. wanted to brand everything the same, but I still think it was a silly move. 

I like the Orthanc art as well, it has the same type of banner at the top but it's not as jarring.  It also has the mountains and Barad-dur in the background.

I really like the box art used for the new Sandcrawler, so glad they finally did away with the stupid star wars banner at the top with the random character.  Why is there a clone trooper on the top of my SSD box?  At least stick Vader in  there so that it makes sense.  I guess Lucas & Co. wanted to brand everything the same, but I still think it was a silly move. 

I like the Orthanc art as well, it has the same type of banner at the top but it's not as jarring.  It also has the mountains and Barad-dur in the background.

See, now I really don't like the new Sandcrawler box.  If it was a regular STAR WARS set, cool...it looks nice, but it is a UCS set and it doesn't stand out to me.  It's not classic in any way.  LEGO needs to make the UCS boxes special.  They are special sets.  I want a mature look to them.  Honestly, the Sandcrawler is not even UCS quality in my eyes anyway.  It reminds me of the 10188....cute and corny.  

• Like 1

See, now I really don't like the new Sandcrawler box.  If it was a regular STAR WARS set, cool...it looks nice, but it is a UCS set and it doesn't stand out to me.  It's not classic in any way.  LEGO needs to make the UCS boxes special.  They are special sets.  I want a mature look to them.  Honestly, the Sandcrawler is not even UCS quality in my eyes anyway.  It reminds me of the 10188....cute and corny.  

I don't get caught up in the "what is and is not a UCS set" debate.  The Sandcrawler is a gigantic playset, like the Ewok Village, so for a playset I think it has a very attractive box art.  I agree with you though that the older black and white UCS boxes were very nice and I wish they'd bring those back for the UCS ships like the upcoming Slave 1.  That kind of art wouldn't work for something like the Sandcrawler, however.  That set needs to show off it's features and minifigs, so the full color art is more appropriate here.

so glad they finally did away with the stupid star wars banner at the top with the random character.  Why is there a clone trooper on the top of my SSD box?

Agree 100%. How about that Ewok Village box with Yoda and his green lightsaber motion blur!? That box would be dramatically improved by simply getting rid of the banner and replacing it with more of the forest background or a fade to black. Yoda? Come on now.

prod_packaging_main_retina_1224x688_1023

I don't get caught up in the "what is and is not a UCS set" debate.  The Sandcrawler is a gigantic playset, like the Ewok Village, so for a playset I think it has a very attractive box art.  I agree with you though that the older black and white UCS boxes were very nice and I wish they'd bring those back for the UCS ships like the upcoming Slave 1.  That kind of art wouldn't work for something like the Sandcrawler, however.  That set needs to show off it's features and minifigs, so the full color art is more appropriate here.

I guess that is my main point.  The 10188, Ewok Village and Sandcrawler are all great sets, but they are "play" sets and not UCS IMO.  The box art of a "play" set should show off its play features...after all, it was designed for kids.  I always thought UCS were adult oriented display sets and should be treated as such.  I really think LEGO has missed out on a wonderful marketing opportunity the past 10-12 years and make the UCS the "premium" theme of LEGO.  They could have made many different types of UCS sets...boats, plains, trains, busts of characters, etc...  Even the new Maersk Triple E and Tumbler would qualify.  Just a couple of thoughts...

• Like 2

I guess that is my main point.  The 10188, Ewok Village and Sandcrawler are all great sets, but they are "play" sets and not UCS IMO.  The box art of a "play" set should show off its play features...after all, it was designed for kids.  I always thought UCS were adult oriented display sets and should be treated as such.  I really think LEGO has missed out on a wonderful marketing opportunity the past 10-12 years and make the UCS the "premium" theme of LEGO.  They could have made many different types of UCS sets...boats, plains, trains, busts of characters, etc...  Even the new Maersk Triple E and Tumbler would qualify.  Just a couple of thoughts...

I agree.  They could even lure more adults in (and make more sales) by making the packaging look more "adult" in case some are too shy buying "kid's toys."

The problem with the licensed sets is that they have to have the various banners across the top because the licensor requires that everything that comes out in any given year looks the same. I like it since it makes it easy to tell different years apart and I like the variety. Maybe a fun poll for TOK to make ;) would be favorite Star Wars box art from the beginning until now, with sample pics, course.

0067341916924_500X500.jpg

I liked the Monster Fighters design a lot, in particular the HH. Unobtrusive theme logo at the top, nice dark background that contrasts well with the green of the house/ghosts/ground, simple display of the house and included minifigs. Too many sets have such a cluttered, busy box design so it's nice to have one like this for a set that isn't specifically designed for adults.

• Like 1

Guest eightbrick

Ah yes. I accidentally broke one of those flaps off a couple days ago  :crying: (don't worry it was a time cruisers box lol). When tens of thousands of sets are produced all that extra plastic and cardboard adds up though.