bricklink seller disclaimers

naf

I've never received a paypal invoice to pay for a bricklink transaction.  Sometimes the seller will put a paypal link in the bricklink invoice that automatically fills in their email and bricklink order number, sort of like a one click payment, but nothing separate.

Not to distract from the subject too much, but it bugs me that a lot of ebay sellers now say versions of "if it gets lost in the post all i'll do is give you the proof of posting, and leave you to sort it out with the post office".

This is not acceptable. Your job a seller is to get my item to me. Anything less is not the service i paid for!

Ebay begs to differ.  If the item never reaches it's destination, the buyer will file a claim and the seller will be forced to give a refund.  Doesn't matter what disclaimers they put in the listing.

Sort of on topic... I need advice on a nickel-dime issue again:  I'm new to Bricklink.  I need a semi-rare minifigure to complete a used set I bought for my kid. Found a number of them on BL for "~$4.75", but one seller had it for "$5.50" ... with no "~"... I just want to make a quick and easy purchase so I chose him.  He's got 36 feedback, no significant notes in his store front about shipping, etc... So I click "buy it".  A couple days later I get his invoice: $5.50 + $3.50 shipping.  I'm thinking, it's just a minifig for cryin-out-loud. Wrap it in a little thin foam, put it in an envelope and send it for $1.20 postage. $3.50 seems excessive to  me.

Am I obligated to buy? Can I negotiate? Should I keep shopping around? WWYD?

Sort of on topic... I need advice on a nickel-dime issue again:  I'm new to Bricklink.  I need a semi-rare minifigure to complete a used set I bought for my kid. Found a number of them on BL for "~$4.75", but one seller had it for "$5.50" ... with no "~"... I just want to make a quick and easy purchase so I chose him.  He's got 36 feedback, no significant notes in his store front about shipping, etc... So I click "buy it".  A couple days later I get his invoice: $5.50 + $3.50 shipping.  I'm thinking, it's just a minifig for cryin-out-loud. Wrap it in a little thin foam, put it in an envelope and send it for $1.20 postage. $3.50 seems excessive to  me.

1st class w/ tracking is going to cost at least 1.93 (if they get the discount). Adding a handling charge is very common on Bricklink (it is the only way to make small purchases worthwhile for the seller). Sellers will usually state things pretty clearly (minimums, etc), but they don't have to.

While the $3.50 sounds excessive - it seems somewhat in line on Bricklink (the "no fee charged" sellers would likely just sell the minifig for more)

As far as backing out - you can mention to the seller that you didn't realize that it would cost so much to ship - most will cancel, and move on.

Edited by TheOrcKing
  • Like 1

Sort of on topic... I need advice on a nickel-dime issue again: I'm new to Bricklink. I need a semi-rare minifigure to complete a used set I bought for my kid. Found a number of them on BL for "~$4.75", but one seller had it for "$5.50" ... with no "~"... I just want to make a quick and easy purchase so I chose him. He's got 36 feedback, no significant notes in his store front about shipping, etc... So I click "buy it". A couple days later I get his invoice: $5.50 + $3.50 shipping. I'm thinking, it's just a minifig for cryin-out-loud. Wrap it in a little thin foam, put it in an envelope and send it for $1.20 postage. $3.50 seems excessive to me.

Did you read the store terms? Do they have a small handling fee?

When shopping on Bricklink the shipping $ is the risk you take.

Edit... Didn't mean to post yet. Also if 1.93 is postage as above says then there is also the small cost of the envelope. Is the shipping really so excessive? I'd charge a small handling for a single minifig purchase or it's not worth it as a seller.

Edited by gregpj

Did you read the store terms?

- Yes. I read the terms. It said he takes paypal... and that's about all.

Do they have a small handling fee?

- Absolutely NO mention of "shipping will be added on...", or "min. shipping fee of...", or "Minimum order...", nothing... absolutely no terms were indicated what so ever.

Also if 1.93 is postage.... Is the shipping really so excessive? I'd charge a small handling...

- The way I figure it, it could be shipped in a stamped envelope for $.91.  Or 2 oz. in a "Large Envelope" 1st class is $1.19.  No one needs insurance on a $5.50 minifig.  And the price of envelopes? Puh-leeeze... every BPer and BLer should have a basket full of padded envelopes sitting around that they got esentially for free. If he wanted to round-up and call it $2 shipping and handling, then fine - payment would be in his account already.

But turning a $5.50 offer (with no fine print) into a $9.00 charge, I just think that's "pushing it".  If he wants to cancel, then great.  It took me all of 30 seconds to find another seller willing to do it for $5.00 + $2.50 shipping. (Yeah... I guess I should have done that in the first place).

...well I know I'm coming off like I know everything (and I clearly don't)... I do appreciate the advice given by all, but  I guess I've already made up my mind on this... I'm going to try and renegotiate.  I was just wondering if I walked away from the deal, will the BL gods boot me out? What's the worst that could happen?

The BL gods won't kick you out... But if you've already made up your mind then I don't understand what the problem is.

And dude, you're upset about a $1.50. If it's that important, ask the seller to cancel. Free to ask.

I guess some people have the time to complain and some have the time to criticize those that do. :)

• Like 1

When you placed your order you agreed to the terms on the seller's brinklink page.

Unless their shipping and handling fees are hidden or unclear I don't think it's fair to claim that you are being nickel and dimed regardless of whether you think the charges are excessive. I also suspect a lot of sellers have been burned by trying to go the cheap shipping route and so throw their hands up and do things like 'fine - insurance for everyone'.

Unless an envelope is flat (less than 1/4 inch in thickness I believe), the post office will charge first class package rates.  If the minifig is properly wrapped in some kind of padding as it should be, it's going to be more than 1/4 inch thick.  First class package rates start at $2.35.  Most sellers charge a $1.00 handling fee for materials and time, so $3.50 is pretty much on par with the norm.

That is one big flaw of bricklink.  Sometimes you don't know what their "shipping/handling" charges are until you get their invoice.  I wish bricklink would be able to calculate that automatically before you complete the transactions.  To ship 1 fig it should only cost $1.92 with tracking. 

Its not flaw.... its the flaw with the seller and buyer

1. Buyer for not explicitly telling the fees (and thus you can freely cancel the thing you bought)

2. Buyer not ASKING before buying!

That is one big flaw of bricklink. Sometimes you don't know what their "shipping/handling" charges are until you get their invoice. I wish bricklink would be able to calculate that automatically before you complete the transactions. To ship 1 fig it should only cost $1.92 with tracking.

The postage cost, yes. But there's also the cost for the envelope, the cost to get it to the post office, the cost for the printed label, the cost for ink.

• Like 1

The postage cost, yes. But there's also the cost for the envelope, the cost to get it to the post office, the cost for the printed label, the cost for ink.

Exactly!

Thats why I encorporate all those costs into shipping costs automatically...... So if shipping for up to 100g costs 3.50

Unless an envelope is flat (less than 1/4 inch in thickness I believe), the post office will charge first class package rates.  If the minifig is properly wrapped in some kind of padding as it should be, it's going to be more than 1/4 inch thick.  First class package rates start at $2.35.  Most sellers charge a $1.00 handling fee for materials and time, so $3.50 is pretty much on par with the norm.

As a buyer, I think $3.50 to package and ship a minifigure is a fair price.  

It's easy on the buying side to be unaware of postage charges (no, you cannot send a minifigure in a simple first class letter envelope - and if you do, it's going to be crushed by the sorting machinery as it goes through the system, if it's not sent to you postage due for being too thick). $1.93 is the rock bottom postage cost, with an online discount, for sending up to a 3 ounce package.

I don't know where you come up with the idea that all sellers have a stack of free padded envelopes sitting around, but that's just silly. Some folks may be able to keep up on their orders with recycled packaging, but certainly not all. If I weren't charging enough to cover the purchase of my packing materials, I'd have to charge enough to cover my time to dumpster dive or call up and visit various businesses to collect their recycled packaging to use.

And while we're on the subject of time: it's not free. Any seller who is not selling for fun, but rather profit, must factor in their time as a cost.

All that said, we're all going to run into buyers who think our time is worth nothing and we're all just trying to rip them off by charging an extra $1.50 past postage, so I eliminate the hassle of dealing with MOST such complaints by embedding most of my cost of doing business in the item prices and charging exact postage. That won't help me in cases like this where the buyer has no concept of postage costs or rules, but luckily that's a minority.

• Like 3

Most sellers (well over 90%) clearly state shipping and handling fees in their splash pages or terms, so use these fees to help decide who gets your business. If a seller sends me an incorrect or oddly priced invoice, then I politely request them to review the transaction (was shipping REALLY $6 for such a light parcel) and all have been helpful.

In the case of the $3.50 shipping minifigure - that is on the high end for shipping but still reasonable, you can always ask to cancel.

Most sellers (well over 90%) clearly state shipping and handling fees in their splash pages or terms, so use these fees to help decide who gets your business. 

^That's pretty much the bottom line. If the information isn't there, don't buy, or ask questions first. If the information is there and you don't like the figures, don't buy.

Seems simple when you think about it. :D