31011 - Aviation Adventures

hepcatpunk

at least 1 person liked my statement.  i'd be careful threatening folks and banning people on forums for having a different point of view.  i've seen this behavior kill online communities.  if everyone agreed, it would be boring.  

do what you will.  i feel my contribution here so far has been valuable to the community.  

No investment here. People who.are buying this at a discount are obviouy addicted to discounts on any set. As someone else already pointed out, these don't sell. Bad investment. I actually thought this thread was headed in the right direction (logic) initially, alas the morons started to chime in...

These guys will.buy ANYTHING at half off. I'm now convinced.

i stand by my statement.

And in stand by mine.

As stephen surely told you in pm, name calling won't cut it here.  Whether you like what somebody is saying or not, that crap doesn't go around here.  You've been on the radar for a bit now with this behavior.  It will not be tolerated. 

at least 1 person liked my statement.  i'd be careful threatening folks and banning people on forums for having a different point of view.  i've seen this behavior kill online communities.  if everyone agreed, it would be boring.  

do what you will.  i feel my contribution here so far has been valuable to the community.  

Your point of view isn't what is in question, it's your lack of tact. That's not considered a contribution.

at least 1 person liked my statement.

I "liked" it because you do not believe in this set, too (as an investment).

But I wasn't aware that you pointed some members (it seems that your post has been edited). That's not cool. No need to be harsh too. But if you did I think it's because you really want to warn potential investors. That is nice ;) but everybody's opinion is ok, we have to accept it (that's part of a forum, not the easier I would say :P ).

The only way we have to convince people is to argue (and that's not an easy part, because the "what if" and the "I like it" factors sometimes come around).

Back to the subject :)

(warning: some "what if" and "I like it" lines may be included :P)

I have thought a little more about this set and I think the problem with it is that... well, if you are a kid and want a plane with fun colors, you will not look for a creator (quite hard to build) and will go for a city plane.

If you are older, you will run away from city planes because you would like some advanced set, with details and realistic colors (that's the sopwith camel).

Not a so good display, not easy enough for kids... so it may mean that few people may be interested in this set (advanced builders, curious about every sets).

Maybe it's a clue and is another explanation why the set doesn't sell well when used.

In fact the plane reminds me the 6751  Fiery Legend.

http://brickset.com/sets/6751-1/Fiery-Legend

I have the same feeling with this plane.

The 6751 looks ok, it has a light brick, it's a dragon with wings, a creator... but MAN I THOUGHT I WOULDN'T EVER BE ABLE TO SELL MY SET !!!

I have kept if for an eternity...

Finally I managed to sell it at MSRP. No money lost. But what a waste of time...

I have thought a little more about this set and I think the problem with it is that... well, if you are a kid and want a plane with fun colors, you will not look for a creator (quite hard to build) and will go for a city plane.

If you are older, you will run away from city planes because you would like some advanced set, with details and realistic colors (that's the sopwith camel).

Not a so good display, not easy enough for kids... so it may mean that few people may be interested in this set (advanced builders, curious about every sets).

Maybe it's a clue and is another explanation why the set doesn't sell well when used.

In fact the plane reminds me the 6751 Fiery Legend.

http://brickset.com/sets/6751-1/Fiery-Legend

I have the same feeling with this plane.

The 6751 looks ok, it has a light brick, it's a dragon with wings, a creator... but MAN I THOUGHT I WOULDN'T EVER BE ABLE TO SELL MY SET !!!

I have kept if for an eternity...

Finally I managed to sell it at MSRP. No money lost. But what a waste of time...

Those are some good points of consideration that contribute to the discussion. It is too bad about that dragon considering how cool of a unique build it is and when the one before it did very well of 4894 Mythical Creatures. Coincidently you bringing up that set lead me to another released the same year that also was an airplane, 6745 Propeller Power. It's much smaller in both size and retail but somewhat similar in idea. Unfortunately like the Fiery Legend, it too is barely worth above retail by about $10 more on average. Lego's choice of colors or the size being closer to a kid
  • Like 2

I finished this last night. I really like the color of the wing tips unfortunately those 6 elements are the only in that dark blue color. I think this set would look a lot more realistic if the yellow elements were replaced by the dark blue. The rear wheel gearing that makes the propeller move was neat to build but is more like a toy feature. The sliding cockpit was a neat feature as well.

I was missing 2 1x4 white flat tile elements, there were 2 extra 1X3 so I temporarily borrowed them from the 9493 X Wing. This made for a good comparison since they are both RRP $60 with AA having 60 more elements but minus the 4 minifigs. They are almost identical in length and width to give you a comparison.

I think I will break the AA down and build the Speedboat (quick build) option next then possibly brick link the dark blue elements and rebuild the plane one of these days. If you can get this at Target for 50% clearance and red card for $28.50 I think it is a good deal. As far as an investment I would pass.

post-31269-0-31798700-1404658352_thumb.j

post-31269-0-00115000-1404658372_thumb.j

post-31269-0-54615000-1404658397_thumb.j

• Like 4

I finished this last night. I really like the color of the wing tips unfortunately those 6 elements are the only in that dark blue color. I think this set would look a lot more realistic if the yellow elements were replaced by the dark blue. The rear wheel gearing that makes the propeller move was neat to build but is more like a toy feature. The sliding cockpit was a neat feature as well.

I was missing 2 1x4 white flat tile elements, there were 2 extra 1X3 so I temporarily borrowed them from the 9493 X Wing. This made for a good comparison since they are both RRP $60 with AA having 60 more elements but minus the 4 minifigs. They are almost identical in length and width to give you a comparison.

I think I will break the AA down and build the Speedboat (quick build) option next then possibly brick link the dark blue elements and rebuild the plane one of these days. If you can get this at Target for 50% clearance and red card for $28.50 I think it is a good deal. As far as an investment I would pass.

Nice comparison pictures. It is really tempting to open the box right now and build one, but I have so many sets to build from a 60lb bulk lot I bought last month. It will have to wait for a while. 

I think I will break the AA down and build the Speedboat (quick build) option next then possibly brick link the dark blue elements and rebuild the plane one of these days. If you can get this at Target for 50% clearance and red card for $28.50 I think it is a good deal. As far as an investment I would pass

With dark blue elements it may look a little like this:

White may be ok too:

Thanks for the pictures, Pseudoty and Biniou! I'm even more tempted to buy/build one, and modify it to make it better!

Biniou, if you don't mind, how did you change the color of the pieces in the alternate pictures? Did you use MS Paint, or was there a website you found it on?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi. I recently got a good deal on aviation adventures 3 in 1 new sealed for $25. I know the price is good, but at this point don't really know what to do with it. Do these types of models general tend to appreciate EOL or can I expect that it will generally stall out at a bit above retail?

I could quick flip now for a few bucks, but is it worth sitting on for awhile or is that line too niche?

Thanks for your advice.

We bought two at the 50% off point at Target. Honestly we were lucky to find them at that price because the Target near us went straight to 50% while the surrounding Targets sold out of this set at 15% and 30%. People left other sets on the shelf so I'm not sure this one is such a bad set per say. Maybe it was all just new, misguided investors that cleared them out early...but maybe not.

Anyway, here's my "logic" (djim): At 50% off it's roughly $0.04 per piece for those of us that build and/or have children. In addition to that, at first glance they aren't such bad pieces either. I can see some curved pieces that would help build the hood line on a white Mini Cooper MOC.

I'm the last person to buy a set simply because it's discounted, as illustrated by the three Worriz' Combat Lair things I left on the shelf marked 70% off...like a Boss.

I'm a aviation enthusiast though, so perhaps I'm biased on this set.

• Like 1

I bought 4 of these at 50% off at Target.  I like the set myself, the box is impressive looking and I can see this being bought for an adult aviation enthusiast.  It's also one of the larger non-expert creator sets.  At the very least I'll earn my money back on them, but I think they'll do moderately well.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think you will. I like this set alot and it hasn't gotten much love on the forums. It'll be sleeper gold if you got them at discount. 

I think that the set will do fine in the future, but it all depends on your buy-in price. I got some at 50% off, and I'm thinking of selling them once they are valued around $80 - $100. I don't think the set can go much higher after that.

I think that the set will do fine in the future, but it all depends on your buy-in price. I got some at 50% off, and I'm thinking of selling them once they are valued around $80 - $100. I don't think the set can go much higher after that.

I think 5892 Sonic Boom is a comparable set. I got a few from barnes and noble last year and I wish I would have gotten more.