Are you an "Emmet" or "Master Builder"?

Guest brickcrazyhouse

Builder Profile  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Are you an "Emmet" or "Master Builder"?

• I build by the instructions only like Emmet.
    • Building MOCs like a Master Builder is what I do best.
    • I dabble in both methods.
    • I don't build anything.

Guest brickcrazyhouse

For those who build I was wondering.  When building do you prefer building by instructions an "Emmet", or building without instructions "Master Builder"?  

I'm way more to the side of without. Just a big kid who never paid enough attention to every step.  That and I still have way more fun building what ever from a pile of bricks. ***/f is the polar opposite, prefers building with instruction, and "having it right".

I build a set to the instructions once the first time around but afterwards anything goes. I do like trying to plan out my builds digitally when I have a very specific idea in mind to work out all the kinks and find all the best ways of making it structurally sound well as visually interesting. In one way or another, I guess I sort of work off instructions either Lego or I made myself. It will be a long time before I can even consider reaching 'master builder' status but I'm also not an 'Emmet'. I never would have come up with a double-decker couch for starters ....and my mind has a little more activity than his.

• Like 1

Guest brickcrazyhouse

yea I didn't like using the term "master builder" but have be calling ***/f an emmet, so I wanted to stick with the movie theme. from the pics you've posted I'ld rank you at the master level

I'm an Emmet.  Without a doubt.

30 years ago, I was both.  When it came to city sets, I was Emmet.  When I was building space sets, I was both an Emmet and a Master Builder.  I'd build the great space ships, but then I'd also build my own stuff.

But these days, I'm very much a "by the book" type of person, and "by the instruction" type of builder.  I'm just always so amazed at the engineering that goes into putting together a LEGO set that I just love to revel in it.  I love to go step-by-step, and just see how it's build, while I'm building it.

I follow instructions, everytime. Once the set is built I try to improve it with the pieces of the set (remove useless pieces here to improve design there).

If I'm disappointed with the final set, I try to create something new with the pieces of the set, like if it was a 2 in 1 set. :)

I follow the instruction my first time building a set. If there is something that I don't like about the set, I will partially disassemble it, and rebuild it my way to see if I can get it right. It takes a while for me to get it right, so there are pros and cons to following the instructions.

I'm an Emmet.  Without a doubt.

30 years ago, I was both.  When it came to city sets, I was Emmet.  When I was building space sets, I was both an Emmet and a Master Builder.  I'd build the great space ships, but then I'd also build my own stuff.

But these days, I'm very much a "by the book" type of person, and "by the instruction" type of builder.  I'm just always so amazed at the engineering that goes into putting together a LEGO set that I just love to revel in it.  I love to go step-by-step, and just see how it's build, while I'm building it.

So you're "the man upstairs" then?

I follow a similar pattern as you actually, although unless I'm processing a bulk lot I rarely build at all. And in that case I have to follow the instructions too make sure the set is complete and get pictures of it.

I used to be a MB when I was younger, now I am more of an Emmet.

I think (sadly) that many of us tend to lose some of our free thinking and imagination as life bogs us down and we get older. I'm an Emmet now, used to be a MB. Watching my kids build I would love to recapture some of that.

Unless it's a set that I'm buying strictly for parts, I always build the set with instructions first.  A few of them go on display, the vast majority are enjoyed for a few weeks and then get broken down and sorted into my parts drawers.  Most of my building is free building, I just dive into the parts and start building.  I find it very relaxing, and by just using the parts I have on hand it leads to more creative building and part use.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Nice just found the thread!

I'm still more of an Emmet I suppose ^.^ Hoping to become a master builder one day (just like Emmet did haha)

But most of the time when I buy a set for myself the general design does appeal to me so there is no need to modify it.

If it does not and I only buy it for the minifigs I will still build it and it will end up in a box (not on display) and might be used for own creations later on.

I did some modifications on my UCS AT-ST since some parts just seemed amiss and it comes without an interior so I needed to build one (of course!)

The main reason as for why I'm not a "master builder" yet probably is the money/time/space factor.

I guess you all know that one? ;-)

most of the time when I buy a set for myself the general design does appeal to me so there is no need to modify it.

Some improvements can sometimes be done but yeah, it's a heartbreak when you don't have the main design built. Lego designers are really doing a good job.

But the "small sidekicks vehicules" (in a 700 pieces sets, there's the main vehicule with 600 pieces and a smaller one with 100 bricks) are most of the time not so appealing so they can be used to MOC some stuff. :)

For example you can combine some small sidekicks vehicules, so you get a bigger construction, like this:

Edited by biniou