FedEx and UPS dimensional weight size, shipping and rate discussion

update from jaisonline : i merged a few topics into one.

----------

----------

Two weeks ago I shipped a 1400 piece technic set via ups ground for 15 bucks. Today I tried to ship a 1400 piece technic set via ups ground, and they wanted 22 bucks!!! What happened?? Btw, the first set went to new york, the second is going to south carolina. So i dont think distance was a factor, and the boxes were the same size and weight... Seriously, what is going on?

Edited by jaisonline

I don't really ship UPS, but I know that USPS has been increasing their prices. "Forever" stamps now cost $0.46 instead of $0.45. I'll bet we will soon see many other shipping services be increased.

This is not a fair analogy. Forever stamps are not supposed to be the same price forever, but rather once you buy them they are good forever. They raise the cost of the forever stamp when the price of first class mail goes up.

Maybe That Was your point?

• 1 year later...

Both FedEx and UPS recently announced that they will be applying dimensional weight pricing to all shipments, effective January 1, 2015 and December 29, 2014, respectively. It'd be interesting to see how big of a cost fluctuation it actually is, especially for the bigger LEGO sets.

http://news.van.fedex.com/fedex-announces-pricing-changes

http://www.ups.com/pressroom/us/press_releases/press_release/Press+Releases/Current+Press+Releases/ci.UPS+Announces+Dimensional+Weight+Changes.syndication

• 4 months later...

UPS has announced their 2015 pricing updates.  I was just sent an email.

here is what they emailed me today.

Dear UPS Customer,

Thank you for your business. As a global leader in logistics, we are dedicated to helping you optimize your supply chain and deliver solutions to help you achieve your business goals. Effective December 29, 2014*, published rates for our services will increase. Additionally, we

• 2 months later...

Means that USPS will be getting a lot more packages from sellers that don't have the ability to negotiate discounts.

Just a quick and dirty calculation of a cross country big set 24x20x6 package would cost $16 for USPS Parcel Post vs $20 last year for FedEx and now $34 for FedEx with the new dimensional rates. Also noticing how FedEx is still including the fuel surcharge with oil prices down 50%.

Throw in signature confirmation and insurance for USPS Parcel Post to even things out and it still looks like USPS is now about $10 cheaper than FedEx vs being almost equal before. May not matter much on a $300-$500 set but noticeable for $100-$150 sets

Edited by grackleflint

Looks like priority mail is cheaper than fedex and ups for short hauls now and on par for cross-country hauls -- assuming you get commercial plus pricing through ebay.

I shipped some items before Christmas and priority mail would come out cheaper on some short hauls already (with commercial plus pricing), but my shipping options would show the retail price to the buyers.  They would select the cheapest retail price (FedEx, for example) which wouldn't necessarily equate to the cheapest for me (USPS Priority Mail).  I'd offer the "free upgrade", but always had to ask because you never know how specific a buyer was about their favorite shipper.  Of course that didn't stop them (or ebay) from letting them select FedEx to a PO Box when Priority Mail wasn't the cheapest option :P

Might have to change my shipping options if there is no price advantage to using FedEx or UPS anymore.

I have shipped 17 items since the first. All of those items aside from one want usps.

The only one that want FedEx was 40 pounds 30x30x20

Cost was 26 bucks with signature convo and was a bulk lego buy going only 4 States over.

Seems usps is the eBay to go now unless you are shipping very very big boxes and the state is close.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Brickpicker mobile app

• Like 1

With USPS slashing Priority Mail prices by 40% to zone 5 and with Fedex and UPS moving to DIM pricing for ALL shipments we will utilize USPS Priority Mail in most cases from now on. It is also a chore staying on top of Fedex billing as they have started to make alot of errors in our billing the last 2 months (charging for pickup when the items were dropped off etc).

I think USPS is going to win ALOT of business. It may prompt UPS and Fedex to rethink their strategy. Looks like they are having a Netflix" moment.

• Like 2

One of my best friends works for a computer company. He told me they are very likely to be switching from ups to usps because the prices are just redunk. Says he is seeing around a 30% increase.

I'd like to think FedEx and ups would go back but I csnt imagine they just changed things on the fly with out doing research and such. Maybe this will bring DHL or another company back into the game....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Brickpicker mobile app

This actually screwed me recently.  I had two larger boxes (7-8 lbs, 25x16x6) and invoiced someone through BrickLink using FedEx estimator on 12/29.  I went to drop it off yesterday and it was almost double!

I'm dropping it off to USPS today but still eating about $5 on the shipping.

At least now I have an explanation for the increase.  I thought I did something wrong when I ran the FedEx quote.