General Lego Catalog Question... Promo Code?

Gee

I noticed on the back of the Summer 2014 Catalog I received in the mail, on the back page there is a Promo Code with this description at the top.

"For online orders only, please use Promo Code below to guarantee the pricing you see in this catalog"

So my questions are

Has there ever been a different price in a catalog than online?

If so, what/why would this be the case?

Well, if you remember the Architecture Studio set, it was released for 149.99 US, now it is being rereleased and the price is reportedly going up 10 US, making it a 159.99 US set. Only occasion I can think of that it could be different. Sometimes sets go on clearance or on sale so possibly LEGO wants to try to get a bit of money back from us, eh? Ha.

Never tried it myself but I think you can use promo codes when Lego offers something for free. I remember seeing promo's in the catalog for a free keychain if you buy certain set's. Anyone tried this?........ Also, I've never seen a price in any Lego catalog that was lower than the online price...ever