Toys R US clearance yes or no.

My local ToysRus has a lot of the clearance. I am just no sure how crazy to go. I can afford to buy it all, but I can't afford to sit on it all for more than 3-4 months. Is any of this worth buying given that restriction?

(2) Malevolence $80

(6) Ghost Train $50

(6) Space Center $45

Thanks.

I picked up four space centers yesterday. I had five of these and was down to my last one, so I restocked. I was selling them for $90 shipped with an average buy in of just over $40. I wasn't making a killing on them, but I was selling them while they were still available. I plan on holding the four new ones I just picked up for at least 1-2 years now that it seems to be officially on its way out. Hoping for $120-$130. A lot of people don't like the city theme, but this set is pretty unique, and the unique sets are what sell from this theme.

I don't have any malevolence, and passed on several when Walmart had them clearanced after this past Christmas. I am not a big fan of prequel Star Wars sets, but a few others who have this set have mentioned that it is beginning to pick up some steam.

• 2 weeks later...

i would buy all the malevolences and then (if you had to sell) wait 2 months and sell - hoping to get to 160-170ish.

price has slowly been going up.  

this is an unloved but relatively large and cool set which will contribute to its appreciation.

these are going for $129-$150.

the others are not going to make you money in 3-4 months.

ghost train will make you money in  year.  only selling now for $60-80 - not enough to clear fees etc.

city space - i have 4 - i like this set but its not going to make you money in 3-4 months.  this has been heavily sold/cleared at TRU for a long time now so there are a lot out there.

If you can only afford to keep them for 3 or 4 months, then you cannot afford to buy all of them. It seems many on this site are investing money that they will need within 12 months. That strategy usually never ends well.

Here's a crazy money management solution/scheme 

Get a new credit card with 0% interest for a year (Chase Slate card). Charge the amount that you have in cash. Use the cash money in hand to make the monthly minimum payments to keep the 0%. Wait until Christmas time (or at worst 10 months) to see how much they appreciate then sell them (give yourself 2 months time) for whatever profit there is at that time and pay back the remainder on the credit card. 

See how much you have made in profit. If it's enough for you, rinse and repeat. Of course if you don't pay attention, miss one payment, go over a year, etc, you just totally screwed yourself. 

You can even invest the remainder of the cash on hand that's not needed to make the monthly payments (short term CD, money market, high yield bond fund) and make some small interest amount.

:fie:

• Like 1

Here's a crazy money management solution/scheme 

Get a new credit card with 0% interest for a year (Chase Slate card). Charge the amount that you have in cash. Use the cash money in hand to make the monthly minimum payments to keep the 0%. Wait until Christmas time (or at worst 10 months) to see how much they appreciate then sell them (give yourself 2 months time) for whatever profit there is at that time and pay back the remainder on the credit card. 

See how much you have made in profit. If it's enough for you, rinse and repeat. Of course if you don't pay attention, miss one payment, go over a year, etc, you just totally screwed yourself. 

You can even invest the remainder of the cash on hand that's not needed to make the monthly payments (short term CD, money market, high yield bond fund) and make some small interest amount.

:fie:

In a perfect world sure it would work, it is called trading on Margin.  This always makes sense on paper until life happens and the trade moves against you and you get a margin call.  A credit card is great to use if you have  healthy points program.  Using money you have in cash via  a CC makes sense because it adds a little plus as well as the monthly payoff reinforces your credit score if you care about such things.  Outside of that leveraged investing or operations of a business will usually end badly, because storms come,life happens etc.

• Like 1

In a perfect world sure it would work, it is called trading on Margin.  This always makes sense on paper until life happens and the trade moves against you and you get a margin call.  A credit card is great to use if you have  healthy points program.  Using money you have in cash via  a CC makes sense because it adds a little plus as well as the monthly payoff reinforces your credit score if you care about such things.  Outside of that leveraged investing or operations of a business will usually end badly, because storms come,life happens etc.

True, but we're talking about lego here. To be really safe, you could buy all you want, and return them at the exact price you bought within store return times. When can you ever do that with a stock? In my experience, lego does not crash in price. Particularly if you're buying it below retail. I'd be tempted to do this myself once I have the space. I currently use such offers to pay down debt and save on interest.

buying on credit and keeping a balance is a bad idea for more than one reason.  if you don't have the cash to invest, you shouldn't make the investment.  

but even if you followed your plan, as pointed out above, the balance on your credit card affects your credit score.  once it is over 50% of your limit, your score goes down. 

buying on credit and keeping a balance is a bad idea for more than one reason.  if you don't have the cash to invest, you shouldn't make the investment.  

but even if you followed your plan, as pointed out above, the balance on your credit card affects your credit score.  once it is over 50% of your limit, your score goes down. 

Yep... so you open 3 or 4 credit cards with intro offers, keeping revolving balance on each below 30% :devil:

Hey, just got a credit card offer from Chase Freedom, 0% APR for 15 months, $200 cash back if spending $500 in the first 3 months, 1% cash back.

Finance your LEGO investment purchasing dreams!! Get those SSD's (if they come back) or GE's and you'll be making tons of money next year!

Go. Go. Go !!!

Yes, I know, I'm such a bad person for encouraging this.

:nyam: