Going to start my city

eferna

Will be building my city over the next couple of months. Is there anything that I should plan ahead, so i don't have to tear down and start over again. The layout of the city will be like an L shape. Its not going to be that big probably 8ft by 4 ft ( 8 being the longest part of L and 4 the shortest)

There is alot you should plan ahead. And than still you will find yourself tearing it down and building it over and over again. But that is all the fun!

I cannot wait till we moved to the new and bigger house in October. Then I can start building my really big city! 

Good luck and have fun with your project.  I don't really have any personal advice to offer since I haven't attempted to build 'a city' before...but watching youtube vids some builders are much more creative and make use of style/space better.  Just some moc's are too packed in for my personal tastes but to each their own, you build what you think looks good right.  Every moc/city should be like an orginal painting - unique.   

Which modulars do you have already for your city to start? 

I think when I start to build my street/city, I like to have a vacant lot (dump site or hang out for gangs haha) or a property in mid construction with workers. 

• Like 1

a train and airport will require a lot of planning/take up space for sure :)

If you had funds to buy a 2'nd set of a modular on your list, I would suggest getting another PS instead of GE...to me, the PS is so functional.  With a few pieces/imagination you can change the building frontage completely.  Also PS is like two modulars, I would personally mix it up since it doesn't have to be side by side.  Can provide a transition between buildings...to me some buildings just don't look right next to each other.  Most 'cities' usually don't have enough residential buildings too IMHO so that's another reason why I like the PS.      

If wanted I have 20+ vintage mostly complete city sets that coul dbe added.  I just moved myself and I do not have them in any inventories yet.

Anything from a early 90's racer set to a harbor port, a truck stop looking set and many others.

Sorry I do not have the set number memorized. These came is a FANTASTIC purchase last fall from ebay nothing but late 80's early 90's stuff to include castle and forestmen.  I wanted the lot for the castle/forestmen stuff.

Took me almost 3 months to get thru cleaning, sorting and pulling sets.  Must have pulled 40 sets out of this lot, most were complete or close to it.

What wasn't was filled from my own vintage stash of loose Lego.

Once I find the boxes and have the time they will be up for trade/sale.

Also came with a lot of Blacktron stuff.  Very cool builds.

If you can, try to get in road plates to cover open sections on your city, it really looks nice.

Another alternative to using road plates is building your road with 1x? pieces build like a wall, the placed on its side. Then you can elevate the buildings by one brick and a plate or two, and you get a nice curb. See image below to get a better idea.

post-5354-0-88903200-1402593406_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Another alternative to using road plates is building your road with 1x? pieces build like a wall, the placed on its side. Then you can elevate the buildings by one brick and a plate or two, and you get a nice curb. See image below to get a better idea.

I wonder what would be cheaper. The regular roadplate or the road built out of bricks?

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-06-12 at 12.14.06 PM.png

this approach also allows for pot holes that city workers can be assigned to. One filling the hole and two more leaning on shovels should do the trick.

When I do my city I want to go all out with the foliage. Maybe trees in raised planters along the sidewalks ect. Gives the city more of a touristy look imo. And youre going to need tourists! otherise the short leg of your L will need to be completely devoted to industrial zoning to compensate for lack of income.

very cool ideas guys. I already bought around 10 road plates to start off so it should be enough for a start.

@weakside- i agree an airport will take a lot of space, but since I have the airport already I should use it somewhere. I figure another GE is because I can join them together and it can be the center point of my city..Also want to build a small park

@brickelements- thanks for the offer, but going with the newer stuff, however if you have the set numbers I could look them up and see if they interest me

@comicblast- nice idea, sounds like a huge project in itself