Hard Drive Failure

We had a hard drive failure on the server today. I am trying to move the site to a temp server while this one is being rebuilt. That is why there have been a bunch of bugs and errors.  I am trying to get things back to normal as soon as I can, but I am sure you will still having issues logging in from time to time, or see weird things.  Sorry for the inconvenience

Jeff

Guest TabbyBoy

I run 2 replicated RAID5 boxes at home so I have dual redundancy. May as well since I have a GoldPlate Server 2012 licence from work and too much music and films to lose!

I run 2 replicated RAID5 boxes at home so I have dual redundancy. May as well since I have a GoldPlate Server 2012 licence from work and too much music and films to lose!

Goldplate Server? I didn't want to admit I've never heard of it, but Google doesn't seem to know either. Now I'm curious.

Guest TabbyBoy

Goldplate Server? I didn't want to admit I've never heard of it, but Google doesn't seem to know either. Now I'm curious.

Basically an enterprise licence open to employees that work from home. I still prefer OSX though but I have to pay for that!

Honestly after seeing some of the horror stories of RAID recovery I just keep mine in JBOD with a suitcase of backups in the closet. That way I don't have to worry about it. Keeping it simple although it is getting hard to keep up with over 40tb spread across five machines :P

Honestly after seeing some of the horror stories of RAID recovery I just keep mine in JBOD with a suitcase of backups in the closet. That way I don't have to worry about it. Keeping it simple although it is getting hard to keep up with over 40tb spread across five machines :P

Don't make the mistake of thinking that RAID is a backup system, because it's not. It's just a way of keeping your server up-and-running during a disk crash. You should always backup critical data, regardless of the RAID level you're using.

• Like 2