10242 - MINI Cooper MK VII

TheDarkness

23 hours ago, jaisonline said:

I recently built 10242. Had just as much fun as building 10220 4 years ago.

I just wish the steering wheel wasn't so big. It looks out of price.

Yes, it's a fun build and the amount of detail in this set is excellent. But the steering wheel is really out of proportion and that's unfortunate. It also looks great on display, just like the VW Camper Van and the Ferrari F40. 

But people who went deep on this set have a LOT of capital tied up on something that's not going anywhere any time soon! 

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought this set and built it.  One question for others who have built this set. 

Have you noticed a difference between the front cover of book one and book two? The cover of  my book 1 is glossy but the cover of book 2 seems to be printed on a lower quality paper.

I'm just wondering if this is the norm for this set?

Just bought this set and built it.  One question for others who have built this set. 

Have you noticed a difference between the front cover of book one and book two? The cover of  my book 1 is glossy but the cover of book 2 seems to be printed on a lower quality paper.

Sounds like you've got the Chinese version ;)

16 hours ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

Yes, that's normal for this set. It's the same with me for the 10242 that I built last year and I had already read about this 'feature' in earlier reviews as well. Odd, to say the least...

• 4 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Haay said:

Could it be? Could the Mini Cooper retire ahead of the T1 ? I don't expect it, but if LEGO pulled that stunt I wouldn't mind it at all! :) 

It could be going. Or it could be just people buying it with the Fountain promo causing a shortage. It's been OOS before once or twice. It just got new box recently though, no?

It will be interesting to see how it does once it goes. Hopefully not another Sopwith...

Edited by tractorboy

33 minutes ago, tractorboy said:

It could be going. Or it could be just people buying it with the Fountain promo causing a shortage. It's been OOS before once or twice. It just got new box recently though, no?

It will be interesting to see how it does once it goes. Hopefully not another Sopwith...

The Mini Cooper has been available on a 15% discount over the past months so widely and consistently that I doubt many would buy it at LEGO Shop at Home for retail just to get the Fountain promo. It's also not listed at the Hot Sellers list: http://shop.lego.com/en-NL/Top-Sellers

Besides, if you look at the difference in status:

10242 TooS.png

The TB is OOS but can be ordered with a delayed shipping date. SoH and MINI Cooper are both TOOS without ADD TO BAG button. 

Whatever is going to happen with the Mini in the coming weeks/months, it's definitely doing the dance ;) 

Edited by Haay

16 minutes ago, CrabslayerT said:

This is one of the sets i struggled to find anywhere except LEGO Shop at Home. No retailers has/had it instock so chances of discounts=nil. Only thing it had going for it was, when the euro was very weak against the pound. where were you finding this at 15% off?

Yeah, I've never seen it discounted anywhere but at Lego LEGO Shop at Home during a sale last year. I've only ever seen it there and John Lewis, I think.

31 minutes ago, CrabslayerT said:

This is one of the sets i struggled to find anywhere except LEGO Shop at Home. No retailers has/had it instock so chances of discounts=nil. Only thing it had going for it was, when the euro was very weak against the pound. where were you finding this at 15% off?

Here in The Netherlands it was regularly (like several days every month) given a 15% discount by regular toy shops (Intertoys, Bart Smit) and it was in stock in those toy stores all the time. Maybe because it wasn't selling well here? Who knows... During the Lego World convention in October it was even given a special convention-discount down to €72 !

4 hours ago, tractorboy said:

Yeah, I've never seen it discounted anywhere but at Lego LEGO Shop at Home during a sale last year. I've only ever seen it there and John Lewis, I think.

4 hours ago, Haay said:

Here in The Netherlands it was regularly (like several days every month) given a 15% discount by regular toy shops (Intertoys, Bart Smit) and it was in stock in those toy stores all the time. Maybe because it wasn't selling well here? Who knows... During the Lego World convention in October it was even given a special convention-discount down to €72 !

I'm disappointed to have so few of these, one for me and only one stored away, but i just couldnt justify getting anymore at the prices i was seeing. I think this will do extremely well after EOL, it's a beautiful model and excellent build. 

58 minutes ago, CrabslayerT said:

I'm disappointed to have so few of these, one for me and only one stored away, but i just couldnt justify getting anymore at the prices i was seeing. I think this will do extremely well after EOL, it's a beautiful model and excellent build. 

It´s not been doing well so far, don´t see how that will change after EOL. All in on T1´s!

1 hour ago, Val-E said:

It´s not been doing well so far, don´t see how that will change after EOL. All in on T1´s!

Again, thats another set we struggle with here. Very few in the ROI and i think TRU uk might have it. Discounts are thin on the ground for this one, although i do see it doing well post EOL. There are enough Dub Van fans on the planet and there will always be more coming....

1 hour ago, tractorboy said:

I think gains will be slow. There's a ton of EU MISB sellers on bricklink. Power sellers in Netherlands and Germany will have loaded up too I'm sure.

I can agree with that! Pity its not available here in the same amounts! I like it

• 2 weeks later...