60051 - High-Speed Passenger Train

IMDeus

• 1 year later...

I love trains, but this one is my least favorite of all the trains in the last few years. There will always be a redesign, but trains are different (there are a half dozen re-designed cargo trains). I really dislike this particular train, but at 50% off, you will almost certainly make money on it down the road.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Val-E said:

I´d try another theme! 7938 is not yet selling above RRP almost 2 years after retirement and station are too cheap to be able to offer any interesting return - train investment is no longer what it was 5 years ago.

It always seems (at least to me) that there are too many train available at one time (from a reseller perspective). Also, a lot more variation between the rehashes would help, too. The Maersk was a good one to make returns on, but I made scant profits on 7938 and 7939. Of course, as some posters said above, at 50% off it is hard to say no to - that is a n-brainer, but I'm not all that interested anywhere even close to MSRP

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 6:45 AM, Veegs said:

It always seems (at least to me) that there are too many train available at one time (from a reseller perspective). Also, a lot more variation between the rehashes would help, too. The Maersk was a good one to make returns on, but I made scant profits on 7938 and 7939. Of course, as some posters said above, at 50% off it is hard to say no to - that is a n-brainer, but I'm not all that interested anywhere even close to MSRP

Where are these trains at 50% off that you speak of?

• 3 months later...

Looks like it's time to bring this thread up with the clearance in US. As usual nothing here in Europe. There are still loads selling between €100 to €120 in B&M.

What is the outlook for this set in terms of growth above RRP?

I've been selling slightly below RRP but making a decent 70% profit which I used to roll the money into exclusive our other sets. I'm wondering should I hold on to my sets and wait till it EOL.obviously US is different than Europe. Would love to hear some views from both sides of the ponds.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't invest in trains... yet.... but this 60051 set now at 40% off...hmmm.  Can someone tell me why this is a bad buy here in the US... please?

I see comments above about 7938. I don't remember that one, but I see prices on Amazon now over US$200, recent eBay sales of around $165 (34% over MSRP... 2 yrs since retirement... if you had bought at 40% off, 3 yrs ago, you'd have gotten maybe 75% profit at that price...20% per yr?). Last train I remember watching go EOL was Horizon express, which seemed to do very well... but now around $150 + shipping on eBay. Wasn't it much higher than that before? What happened?

9 minutes ago, Kenxxx said:

I don't invest in trains... yet.... but this 60051 set now at 40% off...hmmm.  Can someone tell me why this is a bad buy here in the US... please?

I see comments above about 7938. I don't remember that one, but I see prices on Amazon now over US$200, recent eBay sales of around $165 (34% over MSRP... 2 yrs since retirement... if you had bought at 40% off, 3 yrs ago, you'd have gotten maybe 75% profit at that price...20% per yr?). Last train I remember watching go EOL was Horizon express, which seemed to do very well... but now around $150 + shipping on eBay. Wasn't it much higher than that before? What happened?

I picked up a few of these over the weekend because of some additional discounts that got it down to under 50% off, but am not a big fan of trains in general.  I've done ok on all of the trains that I've ever bought, but they've never been standouts.  It's not a bad buy, but I don't rank it as a great buy.  Trains have more limited appeal than other sets and, although they do increase in value, they haven't been fast sellers for me.

I'm surprised that HE is languishing and am glad that I didn't buy any of those.

18 minutes ago, Kenxxx said:

I guess the reason would be the same as in Europe - limited target market  and the fact that the expensive parts are common to all sets (motors and track) means any new people will find it cheaper to buy just the carriages.

Star Wars stuff at 40% off is much easier to shift.

Just an update, I've been flipping this in recent weeks. I was contemplating to keep this for the x'mas season, but the discussion here kinda change my line of thoughts. Added to the fact that this is a City set rather than the more exclusive train sets. I'm happy to get out now and use the cash flow for other sets. I was rather surprised though no new train sets in this year City set, maybe next year?

As said I still see loads in B&M shops here, and lots of sellers on the local market.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The older trains are IR powered so it could be low batteries or something blocking the signal.

Have you tried connecting the battery box directly to the train motor? If that works then the problem is with the IR receiver or transmitter.

• Like 1